Best football player you have ever seen?

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Have a friend who coached basketball at Auburn. He asked me to show some boosters a good time when they came north for the Kickoff Classic. I can't remember if it was 1982,3 or 4. Anyway I took them on a tour of West Point and arranged a nice dinner for them. When I took them back to their hotel they insisted that I meet " their boy" Bo. The words made me uncomfortable, but they were in their own way sincere in their love for young Bo.No one knew who Bo Jackson was yet. He was a very nice young man and I've never seen a physical specimen like Bo. He was kind enough to send me 3 or 4 autographed cards that were distributed weekly by the SID during his Heisman year. I was still coaching and on each card was a message congratulating me on a recent win. Pretty cool.

Attachments

• 20241017_160712.jpg
    20241017_160712.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
I did not watch football as a youngin, so I can’t say Jim Brown. The first college player I saw that made me sit up and take notice was OJ. Hershel Walker was a beast. Bo was a monster. Defensively, it would have to be LT.

One guy not mentioned that I found constantly entertaining was Randle-El. Obviously not the best but he was a handful; I found myself watching him every play when I saw him live.

Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Have a friend who coached basketball at Auburn. He asked me to show some boosters a good time when they came north for the Kickoff Classic. I can't remember if it was 1982,3 or 4. Anyway I took them on a tour of West Point and arranged a nice dinner for them. When I took them back to their hotel they insisted that I meet " their boy" Bo. The words made me uncomfortable, but they were in their own way sincere in their love for young Bo.No one knew who Bo Jackson was yet. He was a very nice young man and I've never seen a physical specimen like Bo. He was kind enough to send me 3 or 4 autographed cards that were distributed weekly by the SID during his Heisman year. I was still coaching and on each card was a message congratulating me on a recent win. Pretty cool.
Great Story. Bo was one of a kind. The catch he made while running up the outfield wall and then almost parallel to the ground to catch a deep fly was jaw dropping and then him bowling over the Boz on a long TD run was equally jaw dropping.
One of my favorites as well. Also just seemed really likable.

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Great Story. Bo was one of a kind. The catch he made while running up the outfield wall and then almost parallel to the ground to catch a deep fly was jaw dropping and then him bowling over the Boz on a long TD run was equally jaw dropping.
One of my favorites as well. Also just seemed really likable.
While waiting for Bo, the boosters brought Pat Sullivan over and introduced us. For a high school coach it was a pretty nice day to meet a Heisman winner and a future Heisman winner on the same day.

Reactions: bbrown
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login