Bethune-Cookman and Ed Reed

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Anybody following this? I feel like I'm just catching up on it, but from what I can tell, Ed Reed (the former Ravens safety) had agreed "in principle" to be the next Head Coach at Bethune-Cookman, then started trashing them on social media about the facilities, the budget, that his office was dirty when he arrived, players having to pick up trash around the facility, then apologized publicly, then the school announced they were no longer pursuing him, then Reed went on Instagram live and trashed the school again.

Here's an article with a link to all of the posts and videos. Crazy.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Anybody following this? I feel like I'm just catching up on it, but from what I can tell, Ed Reed (the former Ravens safety) had agreed "in principle" to be the next Head Coach at Bethune-Cookman, then started trashing them on social media about the facilities, the budget, that his office was dirty when he arrived, players having to pick up trash around the facility, then apologized publicly, then the school announced they were no longer pursuing him, then Reed went on Instagram live and trashed the school again.

Here's an article with a link to all of the posts and videos. Crazy.

Nobody cares about the kids like he do.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Seems to be a recurring situation lately where these HBCUs are hiring higher profile ex players (Deion, Eddie George, Ed Reed) and the coaches are showing up to the job only to be shocked to see how poor the working conditions are. Which in turn creates a backlash by the new coach in scolding the hiring institution for having such poor facilities and a lack of commitment to excellence. Kind of like “no wonder you’ve sucked for so long, you get what you deserve.”

Only problem is Bethune Cookman doesn’t seem like they want to put up with being talked down to by someone they’re paying.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
What he was mad about was the university asking, and or expecting him to provide the money to improve facilities or provide their student athletes with things that are on par with other universities. I think they expected him to be Deion. Know that Deion put a lot of his own money into the things that JSU players got to experience. Deion even commented on this several times that the leadership was failing the kids.

What you find at these HBCU'S is usually entrenched leadership that has been grifting for a long time. They do not provide the basic services for students or their faculty with the expectation being that the coach or the players will figure it out. This is not something I think Ed was ready for and in a lot ways either was Deion.

There are other examples in the black community. Look at Baby Choke enriching himself through grifting while the city literally falls apart around him. I do not mean to criticize all black leaders as I have personally worked with many at JSU that are great people.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
What he was mad about was the university asking, and or expecting him to provide the money to improve facilities or provide their student athletes with things that are on par with other universities. I think they expected him to be Deion. Know that Deion put a lot of his own money into the things that JSU players got to experience. Deion even commented on this several times that the leadership was failing the kids.

What you find at these HBCU'S is usually entrenched leadership that has been grifting for a long time. They do not provide the basic services for students or their faculty with the expectation being that the coach or the players will figure it out. This is not something I think Ed was ready for and in a lot ways either was Deion.

There are other examples in the black community. Look at Baby Choke enriching himself through grIfting while the city literally falls apart around him. I do not mean to criticize all black leaders as I have personally worked with many at JSU that are great people.
christian bale joker GIF

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
He may have a right to be mad, but if I went online and trashed my employer to the whole world, my *** would be fired too.

What did he expect? This ain’t the NFL where organizations will overlook poor behavior because you are a good player. Welcome to regular employment, Ed.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login