Better question than whether we should leave the SEC

LazyIslander

Joined Aug 2, 2015
Jan 18, 2022
SEC should add FSU, CU and GT and OSU... making in-state rivalry games that are already scheduled conference games. This frees up all teams (except UK) with existing in-state rivalries to more easily move to a 9 game conference schedule. Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee (and now Texas) Schools already enjoy this luxury. Make UM-UK and Ark-LSU similar annual rivalries. The SEC can then feature these rivalry games as a unique characteristic of the conference.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
SEC should add FSU, CU and GT and OSU... making in-state rivalry games that are already scheduled conference games. This frees up all teams (except UK) with existing in-state rivalries to more easily move to a 9 game conference schedule. Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee (and now Texas) Schools already enjoy this luxury. Make UM-UK and Ark-LSU similar annual rivalries. The SEC can then feature these rivalry games as a unique characteristic of the conference.
You’re looking at this from the fan’s perspective. It quit being about that long ago.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
Let the ACC kick out everybody except UNC, NCST, Duke, Wake, UVA, and Clemson. The have USC leave the SEC and Maryland leave the BiG and join the others to reunite the old ACC.

Scuba_do

Jan 28, 2022
If “they” don’t stop jerking around with NIL, conference re-alignment, transfer portal, etc,, I may just lose interest in all of it and go fishing.

Reactions: Cybercock

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
If “they” don’t stop jerking around with NIL, conference re-alignment, transfer portal, etc,, I may just lose interest in all of it and go fishing.
I already did. Didn't watch many games last year and plan to watch less this year. The program seems pointed in the wrong direction, and we're at a huge disadvantage in this new era. Beamer isn't the guy, but Tanner is the last guy we want to hire the next guy.

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
Let the ACC kick out everybody except UNC, NCST, Duke, Wake, UVA, and Clemson. The have USC leave the SEC and Maryland leave the BiG and join the others to reunite the old ACC.
If we could capture the all encompassing hatred that pervaded the ACC (in the 60s and early 70s) I'm in for it. It would require the all-important craziness of colorful coaches, however.

Reactions: Carolina Doc

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022

If we could capture the all encompassing hatred that pervaded the ACC (in the 60s and early 70s) I'm in for it. It would require the all-important craziness of colorful coaches, however.
I would be all for that. It was great having conference foes I hated.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
I would be all for that. It was great having conference foes I hated.
Well, I mean, now that the playoff has been expanded - and it's possible it might be expanded even further - there's no reason not to. Why beat our brains out year after year to go nowhere? (I know. The money is better in the SEC.)

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The way to do it would be for the charter member4s still in the ACC + UVA to leave the conference, and somehow convine USC and UMD to reunite the band in a new league. You don't kick out members in good standing "just 'cause.".

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Well, I mean, now that the playoff has been expanded - and it's possible it might be expanded even further - there's no reason not to. Why beat our brains out year after year to go nowhere? (I know. The money is better in the SEC.)
I don't like it, but it's true.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
The program seems pointed in the wrong direction, and we're at a huge disadvantage in this new era. Beamer isn't the guy, but Tanner is the last guy we want to hire the next guy.
What a gamble Tanner took to hire Frank's boy. One would have thought after gambling on hiring a proven loser in Muschamp, the replacement would have been a proven winner. But instead, the hire was of a Nepotism Baby. smh

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
What a gamble Tanner took to hire Frank's boy. One would have thought after gambling on hiring a proven loser in Muschamp, the replacement would have been a proven winner. But instead, the hire was of a Nepotism Baby. smh
"Nepotism"?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

It's really hard to argue nepotism in the case of Shane here. If he was hired at VaTech as head coach, there would obviously be that concern. However we may feel about the hire, he spent a couple decades as an assistant across several programs. I can assure you Kirby and Lincoln didn't hire him because of his last name. So, he's paid his dues in coaching in that respect, particularly starting out as a GA at a school different from the one where he played and where his father coached. I'm sure his last name helped him break into coaching as an assistant, but so what? He started at the bottom.

The most likely explanation is simply that he was a former coach here under our most successful head coach and came highly recommended by former players. It's arguable whether that rationale was sufficient justification for the hire and we'll have a concrete answer in about 4 months or so.

I don't really see the nepotism angle here, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: atl-cock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
"Nepotism"?
In Hollywood these days, there's a controversy called "Nepo Babies". That term refers to actors and actresses who get roles, not due to talent, but because their parent(s) are famous actors or actresses. I hope I'm making better sense now.

I'm convinced that's why we hired Beamer, thinking he is a "chip off the old block".

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
It's hard to argue nepotism in the case of Shane here. If he was hired at VaTech, there would be that concern. However we may feel about the hire, he spent a couple decades as an assistant across several programs. I can assure you Kirby and Lincoln didn't hire him because of his last name. He paid his dues in that respect. I'm sure his last name helped him break into coaching as an assistant, but so what?

The most likely explanation is simply that he was a former coach here under our most successful head coach and came highly recommended by former players. We can argue whether that rationale was sufficient justification for the hire.

I don't really see nepotism here, though.
I am not saying none of that is not true. What I am saying is that the thought in the minds of the hiring authorities is that he would produce like the old man. There's no way that did not pass through their minds.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I am not saying none of that is not true. What I am saying is that the thought in the minds of the hiring authorities is that he would produce like the old man. There's no way that did not pass through their minds.

I don't know. Skip Holtz ain't Lou. Steve Spurrier Jr ain't Steve Spurrier. There's simply no historical justification that a son will be as good of a coach as his father who was a successful head coach.

I really think they hired him on his own merits, which, again, is arguable as to that justification.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
It's really hard to argue nepotism in the case of Shane here. If he was hired at VaTech as head coach, there would obviously be that concern. However we may feel about the hire, he spent a couple decades as an assistant across several programs. I can assure you Kirby and Lincoln didn't hire him because of his last name. So, he's paid his dues in coaching in that respect, particularly starting out as a GA at a school different from the one where he played and where his father coached. I'm sure his last name helped him break into coaching as an assistant, but so what? He started at the bottom.

The most likely explanation is simply that he was a former coach here under our most successful head coach and came highly recommended by former players. It's arguable whether that rationale was sufficient justification for the hire and we'll have a concrete answer in about 4 months or so.

I don't really see the nepotism angle here, though.

There's simply no historical justification that a son will be as good of a coach as his father who was a successful head coach.
I have said that as well about children of legendary coaches.

Does anyone know who the former players are who stuck their necks out for Beamer? I'm sure Beamer contacted them to push for him. I don't think they would have all gotten together and said, 'What about Beamer?" LOL. That would have been unbelievable. Who knows, maybe it will work out. I hope so. We will know more at the end of this season about Beamer.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I have said that as well about children of legendary coaches.

Does anyone know who the former players are who stuck their necks out for Beamer? I'm sure Beamer contacted them to push for him. I don't think they would have all gotten together and said, 'What about Beamer?" LOL. That would have been unbelievable. Who knows, maybe it will work out. I hope so. We will know more at the end of this season about Beamer.

I can't recall if any names were actually mentioned. Maybe it was never confirmed.

To clarify, I'm not defending the Beamer hire. I like the guy well enough and hope he succeeds here, but I wasn't not convinced at the time of his hiring. I honestly think the admin hired him because of his connection here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login