Bianco…

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
How long ago would State have fired him based on his Omaha record? 15-yrs ago? I guess wasting beer is fun though…

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
He makes interesting decisions.

I didn’t understand throwing B. Johnson Friday night, knowing you’d need him Saturday.

He made a lot of subs yesterday, including taking out a left-handed hitter that had just hit a home run and then immediately replacing that pinch hitter for another left handed hitter. It went pitching change (LHP), walk, pinch hitter (R), pitching change (R), pinch hitter (L), SF. So the net result was a Fristoe on Harris (instead of Tullar on Leatherwood), SF, and you burned two players. No more offense from that spot in the lineup.

And then he pinch hit Burford for McCants for another L on R matchup: K, defensive sub (R), and then that spot came up in the 10th with an RHP, K.

So the 1-2-3 B10 included two outs by subs, including one that looked like Bianco never thought would be at the plate. Even just one base runner brings up Gonzalez in the 11th at least.

The broadcasters commented on how many subs Ole Miss used while we had all our starters in.

I now understand what Ole Miss fans mean when they say Bianco loves to tinker. But he refuses to use the shift!

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Does he call every pitch on the walkie talkie? A head coach calling every pitch?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I asked Goat the same thing a few days again and that idiot said he’d be fine with him as State’s coach if he were here producing those same results. I’d have wanted him gone years ago

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
They’ve only been to Omaha once in the last 50 years. He’s overachieved given their history. I say let him retire when he is ready.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Bianco built Ole Miss into a respectable program. He took advantage of us being down with Polk II.
He’s upgraded their facilities, they recruit well, draw large crowds, and generally make post season play, sometimes hosting regionals and supers. He’s done a lot for that university.

However, I think even the biggest Bianco supporting Ole Miss fan is ready for him to go. He soured a lot of them by interviewing for the LSU job last year, and now they aren’t good this year, I would be surprised if they don’t make a move after the season. They will probably let him “retire from coaching” and offer him a random job in the athletic department as a gesture of good will, then go coach hunting.

You know they are going to try to make a splash hire no matter how much money it costs. I hope the big names tell them no thanks.

Last edited:

Philly Dawg

Oct 6, 2012
Bianco has shown an ability to recruit outside Mississippi and the immediate area that I’d be concerned another coach might not have. I don’t think they can maintain their talent level without it.

Stateforlife77

Jan 3, 2021
22 seasons as coach and 1 trip to Omaha is apparently tolerable with their base With some of the teams he has had. Losing 2 super regionals at home if I recall.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Bianco built Ole Miss into a respectable program. He took advantage of us being down with Polk II.
He’s upgraded their facilities, they recruit well, draw large crowds, and generally make post season play, sometimes hosting regionals and supers. He’s done a lot for that university.

However, I think even the biggest Bianco supporting Ole Miss fan is ready for him to go. He soured a lot of them by interviewing for the LSU job last year, and now they aren’t good this year, I would be surprised if they don’t make a move after the season. They will probably let him “retire from coaching” and offer him a random job in the athletic department as a gesture of good will, then go coach hunting.

You know they are going to try to make a splash hire no matter how much money it costs. I hope the big names tell them no thanks.

Been hearing for years that they can get Dan Mcdonell whenever they want…,

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He's a damn good coach who built a program out of scratch. Unfortunately for him, his situation is just untenable at Ole Miss, due to them being unlucky in his first few years when he had a window, and his flirtations with LSU, and now us winning the title. He's likely out at the end of this year.

So again, some other program is going to get a damn good coach.

For Uncle Ruckus' dumb ***, his results wouldn't have been the same here, and he'd have done better at Ole Miss without the negativity surrounding them. A bounce here in there in 2005, they are probably national champions. Evan Button fields a ground ball in 2009 they are in Omaha. ****, they finished 4th in the country in 2014. Anyone who can't see how good he really is, and now has just run his course, is the true idiot.

Ole Miss will NOT get a better coach once he's gone, unless it's some incredible confluence of luck and circumstance. Godwin is not better. McDonnell is not going.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Agreed. He's a great guy and is doing it the right way. Just needs more time.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
22 seasons as coach and 1 trip to Omaha is apparently tolerable with their base With some of the teams he has had. Losing 2 super regionals at home if I recall.

They’ve never won a Super Regional at home (0-3) and have also lost three home Regionals under his watch.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
They’ve never won a Super Regional at home (0-3) and have also lost three home Regionals under his watch.
He's also hosted 3 regionals and then 3 more super regionals. That means 6 stellar regular seasons. Postseason involves a lot of good fortune.

Lots of different ways to spin this thing. I'm very happy that their fanbase is about to put their baseball program in the Stans Stall. It has sucked seeing them compete at an elite level the past 20 years.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Bianco has shown an ability to recruit outside Mississippi and the immediate area that I’d be concerned another coach might not have. I don’t think they can maintain their talent level without it.
Yep. And he's got incredible central Florida connections. Amazing the talent they've been able to pull out of the Orlando metro.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
I’m sure MacDonnell was happy for his buddy, but you know he had some regrets not taking our job when we won it all.

Feb 23, 2008
Exactly. Those idiots still think he'd take his best friend's long time job.

That pipedream will never die. It's what an overly inflated ego for no reason will do to you. 1 World Series trip in over half a century and they feel they can hire anyone. 17 them. Today, tomorrow, and forever.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
That ship may have sailed

I don’t know if he would take the job or not. I’ve heard everything: He won’t take the Ole Miss job if his friend is fired, he would because he has kids there (?), he won’t take the job and compete with his friend (Lemonis), he would because he’d like to be close to Chris (I think they are god parents of each other’s kids), etc.

I do think at least Ole Miss thought if he left for LSU (not fired) they could hire McDonnell. That’s how they got played by LSU AD.

The other issue is apparently Louisville is a mess administratively. Apparently he was really not happy with how they handled COVID. As we get farther from COVID maybe that becomes less of an issue.

I just don’t think anyone knows whether or not they could get him.

They also think if they don’t get McDonnell they could get Godwin. He played at East Carolina. I think he really wants to get them to Omaha. He may not leave until he at least does that. And it would have to be for a job he really wants.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Lemonis wasn't a "splash hire" in 2018 and we got turned down by a lot of the same guys they'll potentially be looking at. Also its not even comparable the difference between where their program is at now vs us in 2018, at the time we had a core group of Mangum, Small, the freshman class of TA, Rowdey, Westburg, Foscue, and Hatcher with the possibility of landing both JT Ginn and Carter Stewart as well as opening the best ballpark college baseball has ever seen, I'm sure that we were willing to go into the checkbook too. We got turned down with all of that, ole miss has nowhere near the arsenal of resources that we have or had 4 years ago so I doubt they'll be going big game hunting.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
We have been heads and shoulders above them since 2016 but from 2001-2015 Bianco had our number more times than not

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login