Big Bad Breakfast

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
I read on the board last week that Starkville was getting a BBB. I can’t find anything else regarding this. Does anyone have any information?

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I do not get the adoration that place gets.
I might have to do another Underrated, Properly Rated, Overrated post.

Breakfast places are generally underrated.

BBB though is properly rated.

Neither do I. I'd rather go to Cracker Barrel or Waffle House.

Waffle House is properly rated.

Cracker Barrel used to be overrated until they began serving alcoholic drinks. Now it’s probably properly rated.

DecadeReb2

Jul 2, 2021
BBB will be overwhelmingly popular with MSU fans when it arrives in Starkville. At the moment it’s in Oxford so…..

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have never been to one so I've solicited some feedback from friends in Oxford and Birmingham. They all agree its good, but not better than anywhere else you can get breakfast and with that being the case, they say its overpriced when you can get the same thing elsewhere for much less. And DS is correct, its supposedly going in to the old Chicken Salad Chick

Edited to include the Oxford menu

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Aren’t they owned by an Ole Miss grad?
I don't think John Currence ever graduated from Ole Miss but frankly deserves an honorary degree from there as much as he's done for Oxford.

Wikipedia says he went to Hampden-Sydney and UNC.

I have never been to one so I've solicited some feedback from friends in Oxford and Birmingham. They all agree its good, but not better than anywhere else you can get breakfast and with that being the case, they say its overpriced when you can get the same thing elsewhere for much less. And DS is correct, its supposedly going in to the old Chicken Salad Chick

I can see this as being accurate.

I've only eaten at the Oxford BBB and it's very good.

Reactions: AFDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If it's a good Cracker Barrell or Waffle House. The quality at both of those chains varies widely. The bad ones can be pretty bad. The one in Jackson just closed down this week. Not surprisingly, it wasn't one of the good ones.
I'd not been to the Jackson Cracker Barrel in YEARS.

I think I went to the one in Pearl a few months ago and may go there again this weekend to get a bite to eat before seeing Panic. One of my usual go-to places (Kismet's) recently closed.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Edited to include the Oxford menu
It's really hard to do typical breakfast food well enough to justify a premium price. Omelets, biscuits, pancakes, waffles, etc. just aren't that hard to make well and while you can certainly spend some money on pricy ingredients, you don't really need them to elevate them. I feel like most places of decent size will have a breakfast place a good bit better than waffle house, cracker barrel, IHOP, etc. without being any more expensive.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'd not been to the Jackson Cracker Barrel in YEARS.

I think I went to the one in Pearl a few months ago and may go there again this weekend to get a bite to eat before seeing Panic. One of my usual go-to places (Kismet's) recently closed.
I've gone a couple of times in the last 2 years because it's near my new work and you can get a plate lunch. It was disappointing both times. I'd guess the one in Pearl is probably pretty good.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The BBB in Oxford is solid. If it’s as good as that one, I’ll be popular.

Dolche looks good too. I think it’s new by Comm Bob’s. Haven’t tried it yet.
Dolce is a block West of Bob's, just past Bluto's Greek (former Humble Taco) in 1st floor of that condo development

Reactions: 57stratdawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I read on the board last week that Starkville was getting a BBB. I can’t find anything else regarding this. Does anyone have any information?
Since I'm among "friends", am I OK to say that I don't find their food particularly noteworthy? I'm not sure that I would go there over Starkville Cafe, or waffle house. No sarcasterisks.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Since I'm among "friends", am I OK to say that I don't find their food particularly noteworthy? I'm not sure that I would go there over Starkville Cafe, or waffle house. No sarcasterisks.
I've eaten there once and it was very average at a premium price. I honestly would enjoy a nice Waffle House more. Which isn't really a huge knock on BBB. It's hard to beat a good Waffle House for breakfast. I like it better then Another Broken Egg too.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I've eaten there once and it was very average at a premium price. I honestly would enjoy a nice Waffle House more. Which isn't really a huge knock on BBB. It's hard to beat a good Waffle House for breakfast. I like it better then Another Broken Egg too.
ABE is worse than BBB to me. Their food is very corporate/average. I've never been to the BBB in Oxford, but my Ole Miss friends can't say enough about it. I wonder if it is like Oby's? Really great food, then modified the menu to franchise. Never the same. If you only ever went to the Oby's on Lakeland and never had been to the original Oby's, you would wonder what all the fuss was about.

patdog

May 28, 2007
ABE is worse than BBB to me. Their food is very corporate/average. I've never been to the BBB in Oxford, but my Ole Miss friends can't say enough about it. I wonder if it is like Oby's? Really great food, then modified the menu to franchise. Never the same. If you only ever went to the Oby's on Lakeland and never had been to the original Oby's, you would wonder what all the fuss was about.
Obys in Starkville has a great building with atmosphere and character and great food. The one on Lakeland was like walking into any of a thousand bland vanilla chain restaurants with a cheap imitation of the Obys menu. Food quality dropped pretty badly after about a year and it was gone soon after. It was nothing like the Obys in Starkville.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
The one in Memphis is pretty good. I'm not a big breakfast person, (I generally hate eggs) but they have other options and the omelet I had was good. The chicken biscuit pretty dang good.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I heard it’s going where chicken salad chick was located.
Middle aged women everywhere
Sad Tbs GIF by Search Party

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Apropos of chains and breakfast places, I really liked The Original Pancake House in Los Altos, CA.
It was walking distance of where family used to live.

There's one in Birmingham that I'd like to visit someday. Maybe the next time I go to a show there...

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I might have to do another Underrated, Properly Rated, Overrated post.

Breakfast places are generally underrated.

BBB though is properly rated.

Waffle House is properly rated.

Cracker Barrel used to be overrated until they began serving alcoholic drinks. Now it’s probably properly rated.
How does Maple Street Biscuit Company and Ruby Slipper rate in your rankings?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
How does Maple Street Biscuit Company and Ruby Slipper rate in your rankings?

Good question. I'll let you know.

Ruby Slipper has LONG been on my list, I've heard great things about it, and I've wanted to eat there but every time I want to go to one of the many locations in New Orleans there's always a long wait so I go to Mother's instead.

Maple Street hasn't been on my list too long. But Birmingham & Mobile are possibilities...

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
A rarely go to Oxford, but I enjoy BBB - when it's not packed to the gills with Ole Miss folks.
I didn't know it was franchise operation.
There's also a great Mediterranean place in a strip mall I enjoy -- Not the Greek place in the old converted gas station, which is definitely overrated.
There's also an authentic and da-yumn good taco place in the shops behind the Oby's.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Good question. I'll let you know.

Ruby Slipper has LONG been on my list, I've heard great things about it, and I've wanted to eat there but every time I want to go to one of the many locations in New Orleans there's always a long wait so I go to Mother's instead.

Maple Street hasn't been on my list too long. But Birmingham & Mobile are possibilities...
JMHO, but Mother’s is the most overrated place in New Orleans.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
JMHO, but Mother’s is the most overrated place in New Orleans.
I've also heard that which is a big reason I really want to try out Ruby Slipper.

ETA: I'm beginning to think that Mother's might be the Ward's of New Orleans. It's considered overrated by a lot of people but my experience eating there has not disappointed. But I've still got to go to Ruby Slipper.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Obys in Starkville has a great building with atmosphere and character and great food. The one on Lakeland was like walking into any of a thousand bland vanilla chain restaurants with a cheap imitation of the Obys menu. Food quality dropped pretty badly after about a year and it was gone soon after. It was nothing like the Obys in Starkville.
Oby's in Starkville, unfortunately, changed their food quality to match the franchise. Prior to franchising, my go to was roast beef and cheddar. It was coming out on gambino bread, with a large, warm pewter bowl of gravy and hand cut fries. Now, or at least the one time I got it in Starkville since they attempted to franchise, the bread is different, the bowl of gravy is blue plastic, about half the size of the original, thinner and does not stay warm and the fries are frozen waffle fries. It is not a destination for me now, and it makes me sad. My above description tracks exactly what I got the one time I went to the one on Lakeland, hence my assumption that they lowered food quality to make it easier to mass produce in franchise form.

Reactions: atomic dawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
A rarely go to Oxford, but I enjoy BBB - when it's not packed to the gills with Ole Miss folks.
I didn't know it was franchise operation.
There's also a great Mediterranean place in a strip mall I enjoy -- Not the Greek place in the old converted gas station, which is definitely overrated.
There's also an authentic and da-yumn good taco place in the shops behind the Oby's.
They have one on 30A near Rosemary, and looking at their website, they are in lots of places now.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Been to the one Oxghanstan, it's breakfast, good but certainly nothing special (like another broken egg).

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022

I've eaten at the one in Oxford a couple times and enjoyed it.

The Oby's in Oxford is fine. They did carry-out chicken strip meals for my son's high school baseball team when we fed the team after a midweek road game. The staff did a great job and was easy to work with. It's hard not to appreciate that.

Rib Cage was, by far, my favorite Oxford restaurant but now it's gone. I've eaten at Proud Larry's but I was working on getting drunk for a Robert Earl Keen show at the time so the food isn't memorable.

I'm far too easy to please to be an effective restaurant critic.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I've also heard that which is a big reason I really want to try out Ruby Slipper.

ETA: I'm beginning to think that Mother's might be the Ward's of New Orleans. It's considered overrated by a lot of people but my experience eating there has not disappointed. But I've still got to go to Ruby Slipper.
Ruby Slipper is great, especially that original Magazine Street location. I am afraid they are expanding into so many areas that it will water down their brand.

With that being said, I think Maple Street > Ruby Slipper just on value alone. Both are great meals. But at Maple Street you can get a great breakfast and very good coffee for about $10-12 and you are full until supper time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login