Big Bad Breakfast

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If it's a good Cracker Barrell or Waffle House. The quality at both of those chains varies widely. The bad ones can be pretty bad. The one in Jackson just closed down this week. Not surprisingly, it wasn't one of the good ones.
Do not. I repeat do not eat at a Cracker Barrel west of Texas. I won't even give the ones back east a shot again. They are absolute dog shìt. One of my go too meals when I didn't want breakfast food was always a hamburger steak. Thick medium rare, brown gravy, onions... It was always solid.

Look at this shìt. This is what CB brought me a couple of months ago. It was a burnt åss school hamburger patty, rubber green beans, and gruel. No biscuits or cornbread either. Quit selling them. You could get toast. Out of gravy and when they do have it it's extra. That 17er was drier than old nan's cooter.

PXL_20230408_012723334~2.jpg

Cracker Barrel was always a go to when the kids were little because they could eat cereal or oatmeal when they were just getting past baby food. Now I want it to be good because they have RV parking when we are on trips. But seriously 17 em.

We have tried 5 locations in New Mexico, Utah, Oregon and Idaho over the last 4-5 years and 17 Cracker Barrel. It's absolute garbage. I was trying to give them a shot since only 1 visit was before COVID and the others were in 2020-2022. In 2023 that excuse doesn't fly anymore.

I will never give that company another dollar. These aren't franchisees either like a crappy fast food joint, it's just piss poor leadership for company run stores. Eat a sweaty salty camel dìck Cracker 17ers.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Never heard of it and certainly never heard of anything like it coming to Starkvegas.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Oby's in Starkville, unfortunately, changed their food quality to match the franchise. Prior to franchising, my go to was roast beef and cheddar. It was coming out on gambino bread, with a large, warm pewter bowl of gravy and hand cut fries. Now, or at least the one time I got it in Starkville since they attempted to franchise, the bread is different, the bowl of gravy is blue plastic, about half the size of the original, thinner and does not stay warm and the fries are frozen waffle fries. It is not a destination for me now, and it makes me sad. My above description tracks exactly what I got the one time I went to the one on Lakeland, hence my assumption that they lowered food quality to make it easier to mass produce in franchise form.
Ugh.

Sounds like Oby’s is going the Babalu route.

And that’s not good.

Reactions: trob115

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I do not get the adoration that place gets.
I’m with you. It’s just very ordinary, except that they’ve somehow managed to mess up bacon.

And yes, there are Oxford restaurants I do like. Saint Leo is excellent. Kings is very good for what they are. Volta is solid for Greek. I avoid BBB.

Overly rated Oxford restaurants include Ajax, BBB, South Depot, and Proud Larry’s (bad pizza.)

Reactions: Maroon13

STATELAW

Feb 2, 2011
I'd not been to the Jackson Cracker Barrel in YEARS.

I think I went to the one in Pearl a few months ago and may go there again this weekend to get a bite to eat before seeing Panic. One of my usual go-to places (Kismet's) recently closed.
Kismets closed? I loved that placed. Definitely a go to whenever I was in town.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
Oby's in Starkville, unfortunately, changed their food quality to match the franchise. Prior to franchising, my go to was roast beef and cheddar. It was coming out on gambino bread, with a large, warm pewter bowl of gravy and hand cut fries. Now, or at least the one time I got it in Starkville since they attempted to franchise, the bread is different, the bowl of gravy is blue plastic, about half the size of the original, thinner and does not stay warm and the fries are frozen waffle fries. It is not a destination for me now, and it makes me sad. My above description tracks exactly what I got the one time I went to the one on Lakeland, hence my assumption that they lowered food quality to make it easier to mass produce in franchise form.
Its funny you say this because I was having the same conversation with my family this past weekend when we went to Obys in Starkville. Before Don Obannan sold it he had started it down the path of "franchise-ness" (around the time of the one on Lakeland), but still maintained most of what made Oby's, Oby's. But once he sold it a few years back, the new owner went all in on the franchised experience and its just not the same. There was a noticeable difference in ingredients. Its still okay but we only go because we live here and its just another food option. Im not sure why it still draws the out of town crowd that it does... Maybe nostalgia or not realizing how much its changed.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Ugh.

Sounds like Oby’s is going the Babalu route.

And that’s not good.
It's amazing how much Oby's Starkville has fallen since I first went there in 1980. You could always count on good service, cold beer, good fries and outstanding sammiches. All of that is gone or has degraded. I've been there twice in the 5 years I've been in Starkville and probably won't go back, its just not the same. Its not terrible but its just nothing like it ever was in the past.

I went to the one in Flowood once and swore never again. EVERY table in there was full of plates from people that had eaten already, every one of them, and there was hardly anybody in there at that time. That night the service was awful and the food was worse.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
If you like great breakfast and are in the Jackson area try Elvies. Beats anywhere I have been in the country for breakfast. Thank me later.

Reactions: Faustdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It's amazing how much Oby's Starkville has fallen since I first went there in 1980. You could always count on good service, cold beer, good fries and outstanding sammiches. All of that is gone or has degraded. I've been there twice in the 5 years I've been in Starkville and probably won't go back, its just not the same. Its not terrible but its just nothing like it ever was in the past.

I went to the one in Flowood once and swore never again. EVERY table in there was full of plates from people that had eaten already, every one of them, and there was hardly anybody in there at that time. That night the service was awful and the food was worse.
I have no idea why they let that go on in Flowood. That location should still be killing it to this day. Terrible management. The few times I went in there the orders were completely effed up

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you like great breakfast and are in the Jackson area try Elvies. Beats anywhere I have been in the country for breakfast. Thank me later.
On 471 and Vine, try the Donut Shop. The best omelets in the metro. It's not fancy and there is a language barrier, but dang western solid omelet. If eating in, there's not much to the ambiance, be we do pick up.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
If you are looking for great breakfast in Oxford - go to First Watch. Better than BBB and BBB is a good breakfast place. The BBB location in Starkville is one of those places were Dreams go to die. Just like the former McDonalds, Bones BBQ, Steak joint, torn down rebuilt Bojangles, repurposed Denny's, torn down car wash half a block away. The BBB site has been Krystal, Prographics, Chicken Salad Chick, now BBB. The fact that Starbucks seems to be doing OK gives me some hope for BBB. But lets say BBB is slammed some football Sunday - you could be in line at Starkville Cafe and hanging out in DownTown Starkville - or you could be hanging out at BBB enjoying the ambiance of the China Garden and Little Caesars parking lot, how long would you wait at BBB before you said - lets just go to Starbucks. Just a hard place to get in and out of. Another place of Restaurant Death is the current (closing) OMG Grill at HWY and Avenue of Patriots, lots of dreams have died in that building.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Best eggs cochon.
That and poutine are what I get pretty much every time. I do wish the red eye gravy was with ham drippings and not maple syrup but it is still really good. Mrs. Devil has tried pretty much everything on their menu and has not found anything bad yet. Plus they have a great dinner menu as well. Really the place just has great food no matter when you go.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I’ve eaten at several BBB over the last couple years. A little pricey for what you get, but definitely better than Starkville Cafe. Competition is always good, so maybe Starkville Cafe will up its game.
Starkville Cafe isn’t going to change a darn thing. Nor should they, place is doing just fine. It’s constantly covered up on game weekends, and just about every Sunday there’s a line waiting outside.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
I do not get the adoration that place gets.
I live in Oxford and, after trying it a few times, I don't think I get it either. It's fine, but nothing special or memorable, usually has a long wait and gets expensive in a hurry. Imagine a Starkville Cafe breakfast from the early 90s that costs $40.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
BBB 17ed up bacon. How can anyone 17 up bacon and survive. We have good friends in Oxford and every time we are there for breakfast they think it’s some kind of treat to take us there. Their biscuits have the texture that gives the impression that they mix sawdust in the batter. Did I mention that they 17ed up bacon?

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I’m with you. It’s just very ordinary, except that they’ve somehow managed to mess up bacon.

And yes, there are Oxford restaurants I do like. Saint Leo is excellent. Kings is very good for what they are. Volta is solid for Greek. I avoid BBB.

Overly rated Oxford restaurants include Ajax, BBB, South Depot, and Proud Larry’s (bad pizza.)
Since I lived in Oxford, I'll give my .2 worth....BBB is really good, and really pricy, and almost impossible to get in to....always a long line....had it down at the beach too and wasn't near as good....

Saint Leo is damn good....Oxford Grillhouse is very good as well....McEwen's too...Jinsei is really good sushi spot and Im a sushi snob...

Overly Rated: Ajax, Proud Larry's (terrible), Boure, Volta (Volta is only Greek in town and everyone loves it bc the owner is hot AF, but you can find better greek in the memphis projects)

I remember when I was at MSU Obys was really good....went years without eating there and the one in Oxford isn't like i remember it when i was at MSU....it's not that great.

And then there is SnackBar, next door to BBB.....it's a very eclectic menu that is always changing....if you've ever eaten at Couchon in the Warehouse District in NOLA, it's a lot like it....and its by far the most expensive place in Oxford....My wife and I will drop $300 just between us two easily...

Good to see BBB going into starkville.....JC is a good guy and a helluva chef and entrepreneur....

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
BBB 17ed up bacon. How can anyone 17 up bacon and survive. We have good friends in Oxford and every time we are there for breakfast they think it’s some kind of treat to take us there. Their biscuits have the texture that gives the impression that they mix sawdust in the batter. Did I mention that they 17ed up bacon?
That really about sums it up for BBB. Not really sure how anyone thinks it’s good. I forgot to mention in my post that the biscuits are trash.

Reactions: Indognito

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Oh, my, says Dick Enberg, if you have never had a creole omelette from BBB, you cannot say anything. Heavenly!!

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

It’s not the same because Tyrone O’Bannon got out of the day to day management a few years ago and sold it about 2 years ago or so.
It’ll never be like it was in the 80’s and 90’s and 00’s
Unfortunately, because for a long time that was a damn fine place for great food, ice cold beer and great service.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
That really about sums it up for BBB. Not really sure how anyone thinks it’s good. I forgot to mention in my post that the biscuits are trash.
BBB has hands down the best 17-ed up bacon in breakfast.
How you do that is amazing but they’ve managed to do so.
Plus, it’s owned by some p#\€£s from Oxford

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Oh, didn't know there was a statute of limitations on good food and good service and when it runs out you can do whatever you want?
Any place open that long in the food service industry is a minor miracle, thats all I am saying

In other news, Starkville Cafe is rebranding to Small Good Breakfast to rage war against BBB.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Any place open that long in the food service industry is a minor miracle, thats all I am saying

In other news, Starkville Cafe is rebranding to Good Small Breakfast to rage war against BBB.
Oh ok, my apologies. They actually opened in mid 70's though

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Just give me some run down diner where the cook is an old black man with a half smoked cigarette hanging out of his mouth cooking on a griddle the health dept hasn't seen in 30 years listening to music on an old transistor radio. If that's not available then I'll take an IHOP.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
After all this time, How can Starkville be so far behind Florence, Alabama?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We make it a point every so often to take a trip over to Congress in downtown Austin for breakfast. There are probably some better spots in town but nobody, I mean nobody makes a better breakfast than. Magnolia Café if you're ever in town you should try it. Parking is crappy and there's always a line waiting to get in but it's worth it if you like a good old-fashioned breakfast.

Magnolia Cafe

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I have no idea if the food at BBB is good.

And based on the prices on that menu, I will never find out.

$3.50 for a side of grits was all I needed to see.

Do they even have a basic understanding of what the point of grits is.

Cheap, hearty and tasty. That is the only point to grits.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login