Biggest "What ifs"

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
What if Keffer McGee hadn't drowned? Best RB in MSU history? Those late 90s teams were loaded with talent. He could change speeds like Emmitt Smith.

jaredtphoto

Jul 13, 2021
One of mine has to be, what if instead of us playing in Jackson or selling a home game to Memphis or Birmingham -- if we played in Starkville and upgraded our stadium. Would we have a larger stadium? Full bowl? How much more of an economic impact on Starkville would that have been and advanced us via transportation capabilities and the size of the town. Many of the SEC towns were really small towns until the 1940's-1960's census and then they saw a population increase around 30-40%. While Oxford and Starkville saw limited population growth. It makes me wonder what we could have been. But also, could it have backfired if we stayed in Starkville and Ole Miss and USM kept playing in Jackson which would have captured more fans. I am not sure but its one of things I am curious about.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
What are some of the biggest "What if" moments for State that you love to throw around? What if State's campus would have been relocated to a larger city back in the day? SCam Newton? Monta Ellis? Steve Spurrier instead of Rockey Felker? Give me yours
What if Old Main never burned down? Think about how that changes the dynamic and master plan of the campus. (e.g. Chapel of Memories doesn't get built)

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
I don't think it would have changed that much in the long run, but I really wish Peerless Price had not caught that pass down the left sideline. Barely in bounds. They don't get that TD and I think we win the SEC. We would not have jumped up into the title game, but I really wanted that game.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Overall = Not locating in Vicksburg, Jackson or Meridian, that supercedes all, but the 3 from the big sports:
Thankfully, this didn't happen. If it had, I'd probably have gone to Ole Miss. Obviously, they would be different with MSU there, but nothing about any of those three makes them more attractive than Starkville to me.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
What if the name is the stadium was Darrell K Royal Stadium at Scott field after he had retired In Starkville.

Short term is Cam. Auburn won a natty with Gene Chizik as head coach. And MSU was a dropped wide open int from beating them while MSU had a QB we couldn’t depend on passing beyond 10 yards.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Maybe the question concerning State athletics is what games, seasons, coaches, etc. don't have a "what if?" They all seem to. Let me go drown in more of my misery.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login