Blake Scott must be a poster here

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
There's keeping it real, and there's shitting on the majority of your audience for not being as pessimistic as you are. Dude guest hosted for Bo Bounds recently (I happened to catch yesterday's show on the app) and proceeded to rip into State fans for being positive about 2023 and Zach Arnett. I get complaining about things that have already happened (see MSU baseball '22-'23) or things that are currently happening (see MSU football recruiting), but I'll never understand why some people insist on "tempering expectations" or getting fans prepared for the bad times that are a'coming. What happens, happens. I've never once thought, "boy, I really wish I hadn't been excited about this football season now that it has turned out worse than I expected."

I don't know. I'm sure this is a minority opinion here, but whatever.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I will never understand how people can enjoy going to state games and cheering us on when they genuinely believe we are going to lose every single game. All these SPS posters saying we'll go 6-6 at best. Where's the fun in being pessimistic, I'd rather get dissappointed every single year because I have too high hopes than tell everyone we're going to go .500 at best and be surprised when we win a few games.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I will never understand how people can enjoy going to state games and cheering us on when they genuinely believe we are going to lose every single game. All these SPS posters saying we'll go 6-6 at best. Where's the fun in being pessimistic, I'd rather get dissappointed every single year because I have too high hopes than tell everyone we're going to go .500 at best and be surprised when we win a few games.
MSU ALWAYS exceeds my expectations.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t have any problem with anyone being excited about Arnett and I agree it’s stupid to try to convince people to not be optimistic about him. But I also don’t have any problem with people being questioning the hire or being less than excited about it. I’m 100% pulling for him and hope he does well but I don’t have high hopes that he’s going to be a long term good hire. I don’t care what anyone says about keeping continuity hiring Arnett the way we did was not the right thing to do. We could have attracted someone who has a little more experience than 3 years as a defensive coordinator.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I don’t have any problem with anyone being excited about Arnett and I agree it’s stupid to try to convince people to not be optimistic about him. But I also don’t have any problem with people being questioning the hire or being less than excited about it. I’m 100% pulling for him and hope he does well but I don’t have high hopes that he’s going to be a long term good hire. I don’t care what anyone says about keeping continuity hiring Arnett the way we did was not the right thing to do. We could have attracted someone who has a little more experience than 3 years as a defensive coordinator.
Five years as DC - 3 here and 2 at SDSU. Ideally you do a national search, but we had no AD, the portal was opening up, signing day was coming and Arnett is gone the second we hire someone new.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I've got nothing against being optimistic, but a lot of posters on this board think their own unrealistic expectations are what "should" happen and anything less than that is a disaster requiring immediate firings.

I'm not optimistic at all about this season, but still it will be fun to watch it play out.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
All fan bases get excited on new hires. I think I remember AU a while back being pissed (was that cheese dick?) CO has sold out their season tickets waiting on Prime Time. It's normal so he's being a dick.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
As a lifelong State fan (52+ years), it has been burned in my Fandom to always expect 6 wins and nothing more. We are in the SEC Western division playing Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, ATM, Auburn and Ole Miss every damn year. That's not pessimistic, it's just life for MSU fans. We love our team no matter what and always expect to play hard and be tough and physical. Winning 3 or 4 games vs. West opponents is a good year for us

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
There's keeping it real, and there's shitting on the majority of your audience for not being as pessimistic as you are. Dude guest hosted for Bo Bounds recently (I happened to catch yesterday's show on the app) and proceeded to rip into State fans for being positive about 2023 and Zach Arnett. I get complaining about things that have already happened (see MSU baseball '22-'23) or things that are currently happening (see MSU football recruiting), but I'll never understand why some people insist on "tempering expectations" or getting fans prepared for the bad times that are a'coming. What happens, happens. I've never once thought, "boy, I really wish I hadn't been excited about this football season now that it has turned out worse than I expected."

Tempering your own expectations is for the emotionally weak and unstable. This is supposed to be fun. It's more fun to be hopeful. Doesn't work out the way you were hoping and your team loses? Oh well, be pissed for the day and then move on like an adult.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Five years as DC - 3 here and 2 at SDSU. Ideally you do a national search, but we had no AD, the portal was opening up, signing day was coming and Arnett is gone the second we hire someone new.
We will just have to agree to disagree… the entire team was not going to enter the portal. And even if several did, the ones that wanted to stay would have given the hire a chance to make a pitch. You’ll never convince me that we should have rushed a football head coach hire. We could have conducted a quick search and got to a more qualified candidate. Again, I hope arnett does awesome. No reason to think he will be terrible. I just don’t see the sense in sacrificing 2 or 3 years for sake of one recruiting class.

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

patdog

May 28, 2007
Tempering your own expectations is for the emotionally weak and unstable. This is supposed to be fun. It's more fun to be hopeful. Doesn't work out the way you were hoping and your team loses? Oh well, be pissed for the day and then move on like an adult.
I’d say it’s more fun to be realistically optimistic and expect 6-7 wins this fall. You won’t be disappointed as often & you’ll enjoy it even more if we win more.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012

not to highjack the post but Blake was raised in a bulldog house. His daddy was a great bulldog and was one of the nicest people that I have ever met. Prout to say that Ed was a friend.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022

Bo has predicted State to win less games than they actually win nearly every year for the past 10-15 years. Last year he acted like it would be miraculous if State went 7-5. Said we had a bunch of G5 players on our roster. I don’t know if he does it to drive ratings or if he likes to act like State’s coaches are magicians that overachieve every year, but it’s his thing. It’s sad that we have idiots in our own State media pushing idiotic thoughts like a team that went 8-4 and is returning 8 Covid seniors on defense and 8 starters on offense should be happy with 6-6 or 7-5 the next year, but that’s where we are in this State. Go to Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana, or Arkansas and see how many of their hometown radio shows predict their teams to win less than they actually win every single year.

Ddog

May 24, 2023

He is just doing what radio folks do in that position.

Reactions: Maroon13

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
We could have conducted a quick search and got to a more qualified candidate.
I don’t know about that. Conventional wisdom said Joe Mo would be a good head coach, but he was a train wreck. Was Dan Mullen more qualified than ZA? We know Arnett completely ran the show on defense, whereas Mullen was running Urban’s offense. The only question I have is the recruiting piece. Moorhead was a good recruiter but where did get him?

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
Bo and Blakey blakester couldn't be more douchey if they tried. Jake Wim is by far the best local sports talk show in Jackson and it ain't close.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know about that. Conventional wisdom said Joe Mo would be a good head coach, but he was a train wreck. Was Dan Mullen more qualified than ZA? We know Arnett completely ran the show on defense, whereas Mullen was running Urban’s offense. The only question I have is the recruiting piece. Moorhead was a good recruiter but where did get him?
Joe and Mullen have nothing to do with what I’m saying in this thread. It’s my opinion, we rushed the hire of arnett. You don’t have to agree with that. But bringing up Joe or Mullen won’t change my mind on it. Joe was a swing and miss, it happens. Any coaching hire his a gamble.

As for Mullen, he had a much better resume than Arnett. Mullen had stops at several different places. Coached guys like Alex smith and Tebow, won national championships and conference championships. Mullen was going to be hired by someone real soon. Arnett was not. Lastly, our program had not been a winner in a decade when we hired Mullen. It’s a totally different program now. We just didn’t need to settle for arnett, in my opinion.

Now none of that means he’s a bad coach or it won’t work out. Hell it might, and I hope it does. I like arnett and like the fact that he stayed here at DC when he might have had other opportunities to be a DC at a bigger job. My disappointment with him being hired has not a lot to do with him but more around the idea that I think we panicked and could have likely hired someone a little more established.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I'm amazed anybody listens to either of those douchebags
I used to listen to his show cruising statewide on the app....once covid hit, i kinda lost interest .....i started back listening and the additon of Blake is like having two Bo's on the same show...sports shows need oil and water, not water and water....thatw why I like sports talk MS in the afternoon....

Reactions: Rezdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Joe and Mullen have nothing to do with what I’m saying in this thread. It’s my opinion, we rushed the hire of arnett. You don’t have to agree with that. But bringing up Joe or Mullen won’t change my mind on it. Joe was a swing and miss, it happens. Any coaching hire his a gamble.

As for Mullen, he had a much better resume than Arnett. Mullen had stops at several different places. Coached guys like Alex smith and Tebow, won national championships and conference championships. Mullen was going to be hired by someone real soon. Arnett was not. Lastly, our program had not been a winner in a decade when we hired Mullen. It’s a totally different program now. We just didn’t need to settle for arnett, in my opinion.

Now none of that means he’s a bad coach or it won’t work out. Hell it might, and I hope it does. I like arnett and like the fact that he stayed here at DC when he might have had other opportunities to be a DC at a bigger job. My disappointment with him being hired has not a lot to do with him but more around the idea that I think we panicked and could have likely hired someone a little more established.

If it was a normal coaching search I’d probably agree with you. But our coach died and we didn’t have an AD at the time. The continuity hire made a lot of sense at the time. If it works out or not, we’ll find out over the next couple of seasons. But it’s tough to view this through the same lens as any normal coaching search given the situation.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
but I'll never understand why some people insist on "tempering expectations"

I'll never understand why people continue to listen to Out of Bounds. That show is terrible. The majority of each show is them babbling on about "the lifestyle" or what they had to eat the day before. When they occasionally try and talk sports, it's even worse. You'd think one qualification for having a sports show would be you know something about sports. But alas, I guess as long as you can sell ad time to the sponsors then that's all that's needed.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
If we go 6-6, it's time to start over with a new staff. 8 wins this year is probably the floor if the offense comes together.
The problem is Texas A&M and Auburn will be improved. And OM, Ark, and UK will be knife fights. I think 6-8 regular season wins is a reasonable range for ZA's first season.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The problem is Texas A&M and Auburn will be improved. And OM, Ark, and UK will be knife fights. I think 6-8 regular season wins is a reasonable range for ZA's first season.
Disagree. A&M is the same A&M they always are. Auburn has so many problems it's going to be another year or two before they're better. We go 6-6, we should fire people.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
when they genuinely believe we are going to lose every single game.
You exaggerate much? Show me ANYONE that has said this, I'll wait.

"Where's the fun in being pessimistic, I'd rather get dissappointed every single year because I have too high hopes than tell everyone we're going to go .500 at best and be surprised when we win a few games."

I'm a realist, not a pessimist, or a sunshine pumper. Why would you "rather get dissappointed every single year because you have too high hopes" ? That's like waiting up for Santa Clause "every single year" and then he NEVER shows or waiting for 'The Great Pumpkin' "every single year" like Linus and once again begin disappointed when it doesn't show, "EVERY SINGLE YEAR"?

Merriam-Webster

realist: [noun] a person who recognizes what is real or possible in a particular situation : one who accepts and deals with things as they really are.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Disagree. A&M is the same A&M they always are. Auburn has so many problems it's going to be another year or two before they're better. We go 6-6, we should fire people.
Who A&M is is an 8-4 team. They were 5-7 last season. That's improvement.

Fire people after going 6-6? Good luck with that. That ain't happening.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Who A&M is is an 8-4 team. They were 5-7 last season. That's improvement.
It's amazing how consistent they are. Since 2010, they've been between 9-4 and 7-6 every year except 2012 (11-2), 2020 (9-1) and 2022 (5-7). Hard to predict them this year though. I could easily see them cratering to 4-8 and finishing last or putting it together and going 9-3.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I get the trepidation to be positive, I just don't get the reasoning so many are coming up with. "New system". That's so damn dumb. That's the beauty of the fact that we had been installing a passing offense for so long - it's MUCH easier, almost automatic, to go from running a pass-happy offense to a running offense. It's very easy on the linemen. And hell they say they will use the talent they have, if they have any sense at all, they'll do it.

If you want to be negative, I would think of these things:

- Rogers overall ability (mitigation - he's a 4th year starter);
- Replacing Forbes (mitigation - we have the starter caliber players);
- No true defensive stud on the line or linebacker (yet).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It’s my opinion, we rushed the hire of arnett. You don’t have to agree with that.

Whether we rushed the hire is not really a question of opinion. If we had enough confidence in Arnett that nobody we could get in for an interview could feasibly overtake him in an interview, then we didn't rush it. If we were not confident enough in Arnett that we would have entertained other realistic candidates, then we rushed it, pretty much as a definitional matter.

I feel like Arnett was a pretty good candidate. Maybe short of experience by a couple of years but he's a coordinator at a P5 school that has had success despite not having big resource advantages. That's a good candidate for us. Very much a crap shoot and I'd generally prefer successful head coaches from G5 schools, but coaches are getting hired and fired so quickly even blue bloods are reaching for those coaches before they really establish a sustained track record of success as head coach. I view hiring Arnett about like if Mullen had left before Manny left of Texas and we promoted Manny. In hindsight that probably would have been a pretty mediocre hire, but I don't know that people would have been upset by that hire at the time.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I had forgotten how close some of those games were. The Troy State game was horrendous, but looking at the other scores, we weren't that far from being decent. Refs hosed us against BYU. 3 point loss to Arkansas and TD loss to Bama, 2 pt loss to Auburn and USCe. Of course only beat UK by 3; you can always play that game both ways.

But other than Troy, LSU, and Florida, we at least look competitive by the scores, but that is not how I remember that season.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login