Blake Scott must be a poster here

patdog

May 28, 2007
I had forgotten how close some of those games were. The Troy State game was horrendous, but looking at the other scores, we weren't that far from being decent. Refs hosed us against BYU. 3 point loss to Arkansas and TD loss to Bama, 2 pt loss to Auburn and USCe. Of course only beat UK by 3; you can always play that game both ways.

But other than Troy, LSU, and Florida, we at least look competitive by the scores, but that is not how I remember that season.
Those offensive scoring numbers were pretty Croom-like. 8 games after 9-11 were 14, 0, 14, 9, 0, 17, 17, 21. Ouch.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I had forgotten how close some of those games were. The Troy State game was horrendous, but looking at the other scores, we weren't that far from being decent. Refs hosed us against BYU. 3 point loss to Arkansas and TD loss to Bama, 2 pt loss to Auburn and USCe. Of course only beat UK by 3; you can always play that game both ways.

But other than Troy, LSU, and Florida, we at least look competitive by the scores, but that is not how I remember that season.
The hell with that. I made that trip to Florida and was sitting in the stands against LSU. We had the skill players but the lines were total shiat. Just worthless.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I used to listen to his show cruising statewide on the app....once covid hit, i kinda lost interest .....i started back listening and the additon of Blake is like having two Bo's on the same show...sports shows need oil and water, not water and water....thatw why I like sports talk MS in the afternoon....
like Bert and Ernie... if you know , you know

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
If we go 6-6, it's time to start over with a new staff. 8 wins this year is probably the floor if the offense comes together.
Aaaand there it is. Maybe you left off the sarcasterisks and it went over my head. A first year head coach gets us to another bowl game and you want to fire the whole staff?

I'm expecting a total dumpster fire. 6 wins will be a relief to me.

Maybe just view the season based on more than the win total.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
There's keeping it real, and there's shitting on the majority of your audience for not being as pessimistic as you are. Dude guest hosted for Bo Bounds recently (I happened to catch yesterday's show on the app) and proceeded to rip into State fans for being positive about 2023 and Zach Arnett. I get complaining about things that have already happened (see MSU baseball '22-'23) or things that are currently happening (see MSU football recruiting), but I'll never understand why some people insist on "tempering expectations" or getting fans prepared for the bad times that are a'coming. What happens, happens. I've never once thought, "boy, I really wish I hadn't been excited about this football season now that it has turned out worse than I expected."

I don't know. I'm sure this is a minority opinion here, but whatever.
I stopped reading when I at Bo.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
...them babbling on about "the lifestyle" or what they had to eat the day before. When they occasionally try and talk sports, it's even worse. You'd think one qualification for having a sports show would be you know something about sports. But alas, I guess as long as you can sell ad time to the sponsors then that's all that's needed.
Are you talking about a radio show or a certain sports message board? Kinda sounds like us. Just sayin

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I finally got a chance to listen to that first hour. Typically I like their show. I listen. However I find it interesting how he took shots at the fans directly (Hadad and Steve do it too)

Para-phrasing...referring to State fans: "mad as a hornets nest and as much brain power as a hornets nest".

reference to State and OM fans: "living in loser ville "

Those comments are a little over the top. He seems butt hurt that folks don't agree with him.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
not to highjack the post but Blake was raised in a bulldog house. His daddy was a great bulldog and was one of the nicest people that I have ever met. Prout to say that Ed was a friend.
Ed was an awesome guy; the whole family, really.

Reactions: NTDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Whether we rushed the hire is not really a question of opinion. If we had enough confidence in Arnett that nobody we could get in for an interview could feasibly overtake him in an interview, then we didn't rush it. If we were not confident enough in Arnett that we would have entertained other realistic candidates, then we rushed it, pretty much as a definitional matter.

I feel like Arnett was a pretty good candidate. Maybe short of experience by a couple of years but he's a coordinator at a P5 school that has had success despite not having big resource advantages. That's a good candidate for us. Very much a crap shoot and I'd generally prefer successful head coaches from G5 schools, but coaches are getting hired and fired so quickly even blue bloods are reaching for those coaches before they really establish a sustained track record of success as head coach. I view hiring Arnett about like if Mullen had left before Manny left of Texas and we promoted Manny. In hindsight that probably would have been a pretty mediocre hire, but I don't know that people would have been upset by that hire at the time.
Solid assessment. Coaching sentiment seems to pivot between "go get us a known winning P5 head coach" (easier said than done and often doesn't result in the same success following the coach -see Dan Mullen to Florida) or "go get us an up and comer" then melt either if they are so successful they leave to go elsewhere (again, see Dan Mullen to Florida), or melt because the up and comer stopped heading up and fails as a head coach...

The only consistent thing is the melt.

I like everything I've seen from Arnett. I hope that it translates into a well prepared team on both sides of the ball.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login