Bo Bounds: “MSU is out there offering scholarships while other schools..

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
…are out there offering deals”

MSU.. whoever that is.. admin, compliance, coaches…. Better get their **** together. It’s not 1982 anymore. The Supreme Court has spoken.

We had 18 but we are down to 15. UT and UM picking off recruits.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I actually think the peak of it is right now. I mean that QB from tOSU just went into the portal after he got his deal, and went there early so he could get a head start because Texas (the state) didn't allow it.

Like anything else, it's about the long game. I'd bet on that guy likely not working out in the NFL, i.e. he's taking short term gains.

I'm not as worried about the big time five star recruits. That is potentially going to hurt (think about what Simmons could have gotten), but I'm more worried about getting to a point where every blue blood signee is guaranteed $50k a year unless and until they are processed and then they can hustle for NIL on top of that. That's $4.1M a year in salary costs for 82 scholarship players. I feel pretty confident Texas and A&M boosters can manage that no problem. What if Auburn and UT and Ole Miss say that they will guarantee $50k for one year, and then starters are guaranteed $50k a year? Say that's more like $2.35M a year. IF their boosters can manage that, how close can we get to it?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'm not as worried about the big time five star recruits. That is potentially going to hurt (think about what Simmons could have gotten), but I'm more worried about getting to a point where every blue blood signee is guaranteed $50k a year unless and until they are processed and then they can hustle for NIL on top of that. That's $4.1M a year in salary costs for 82 scholarship players. I feel pretty confident Texas and A&M boosters can manage that no problem. What if Auburn and UT and Ole Miss say that they will guarantee $50k for one year, and then starters are guaranteed $50k a year? Say that's more like $2.35M a year. IF their boosters can manage that, how close can we get to it?
All that stuff is far-fetched. Sounds good now, but 5 years from now, just not sustainable.

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
The three biggest MSU sports media personalities are Brandon Walker, Steve Robertson and Bo Bounds. Bo is a MSU Alumnus and long time sports radio talk show host in Jackson. Bo catches a lot of ___ for his "lifestyle" approach, but does a lot to promote MSU.

He trashes MSU every chance he gets while hyping everything OM.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I glad someone posted this. Bo seemed very frustrated with States recruiting yesterday.

"State is playing checkers. Ole Miss, Kentucky and others are playing chess."

He is pretty well connected. I wonder if he is hearing things or his source is frustrated. Or MSU screwed him on setting up a NIL deal?

Because from I hear the school has to approve the athlete doing these deals.
The school doesn't have to approve anything. That's the whole point, the player can make money on his own.

Bounds is trying riling up MSU people so they will listen to his show. Finebaum technique.

ETA: And you/Bo seriously just said Kentucky....and believed it. Kentucky ain't doing ****, they are simply recruiting better because Stoops has been there forever and has won a little bit.

I know another idiot from another walk of life who told me years ago that "Kentucky was cheating more than anybody" after they signed Zadarius Smith. No matter that his position coach from JUCO went there, and there was an immediate starting spot open there. Nope, had to be cheating. Because Kentucky is just littered with 4 and 5 stars. Reeks of cheating.**************

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Of course you have to know that we know that you can't possibly know what the hell "every school in America" is doing.

So why type drivel like that??

And you could post something worthwhile if you actually wanted to. But you never do. The AD is the chief fundraiser/organizer for every thing. It's a big part of the job. Ours needs to do a better job. So do the boosters. The average fan can only do so much.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
No ****. It really sucks what Bracky has done to our program over the years. And Cohen is in over his head unfortunately

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I guess in November 2023 when Ole Miss wins their 4th straight Egg Bowl over us with 70% of the stadium dressed in Red/Blue at DWS (think Tennessee playing at Vandy) we might wake up.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The 2nd or 3rd most economically disadvantaged school in the SEC not able to keep up in the NIL environment? Nobody could have seen this coming….

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2011
What if Auburn and UT and Ole Miss say that they will guarantee $50k for one year, and then starters are guaranteed $50k a year? Say that's more like $2.35M a year. IF their boosters can manage that, how close can we get to it?

The NIL deals can’t be contingent on player performance / starting status. Now I don’t know exactly how that can be policed if say the contract is for 1 year and then someone falls out of the rotation. I’d assume their contract could just not be renewed. But it’s not as simple as saying starters get $50k a year.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The 2nd or 3rd most economically disadvantaged team in the SEC not able to keep up in the NIL environment? Nobody could have seen this coming….

If Vandy wanted to poor money into football, they could likely put in more than us. We still have plenty of resources to build a perennial top 25 program.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't follow recruiting rankings, but a quick check of the 247 sites shows our class is #29 (10th in the SEC). So, about what our class usually is. FWIW, Mississippi's class is #33.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
And you could post something worthwhile if you actually wanted to. But you never do. The AD is the chief fundraiser/organizer for every thing. It's a big part of the job. Ours needs to do a better job. So do the boosters. The average fan can only do so much.

Thank the heavens we've got informed alumni like you out there fighting the good fight and telling us all what's what.

I'll stick to posting things I have a clue about and not posting things about which I have no clue.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Goat said some stuff ....

yeah, Bo is trying to rile up MSU fans but it is deeper than just getting listeners. He is already kicked butt in the listener category. He is frustrated just like all of us that OM is picking off recruits and from our roster and transfers from LSU. Or he is talking for someone else to get the message out.

yes Kentucky. I don't care what happened back whenever. Kentucky's current recruiting class is ranked #15 and we are #29 (last I saw). So Bo is right, for this season. We shall see what turns up or doesn't come signing day.

Also I'm sure there was a interview done by OLF (Bart G) in which Vanhorn explained that if an athlete uses a MSU logo or says they are affiliated with MSU in their nil deal, it must be approved by the University NIL compliance department.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
All that stuff is far-fetched. Sounds good now, but 5 years from now, just not sustainable.

It's very sustainable for the blue bloods. I don't think you realize how much athletic departments waste just because they have money they can't spend on players.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...l-record-177-million-revenue-profits-dip.html So even in a bad year for giving, they got more than enough to give $50k per scholarship player just in non specific donations. And that's just official money. They are already spending a good bit of unofficial money in recruiting. Just tell boosters to turn that into NIL deals, and have some boosters currently making donations diver those to NIL deals, and they can easily cover $4M a year in NIL salary for scholarship football players. The only thing that will stop it from happening is athletic department administrators not wanting to cut the fluff that benefits them, but I suspect as long as they have an AD that is not coasting into the last few years of his career, no athletic director is going to put his job at risk protecting the fluff that benefits a lot of his staff.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're very naïve if you think athletic dept involvement isn't a huge factor in an effective NIL program.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The school can't run NIL deals. The school cannot discuss recruits with boosters. Boosters cannot directly contact recruits. The Supreme Court did not change any of those rules.

I know that schools cheat in recruiting and the boosters are far more involved in recruiting than they are supposed to be, but you can't just flippantly claim that 'every school in America" is organizing their boosters to offer NIL deals to recruits.

Every school we care about competing with is doing it, unless their boosters are just already on top of it and proactive enough that there wasn't anything for the school to do. I would like to think we are doing it also and people are just freaking out because it's not being advertised (just like every other school that is doing things but not advertising them). I'm sure we're not doing nothing, but with it being new, it's very possible we are doing it much less effectively than everybody else and I guess there is the possibility that we just have idiots in charge and don't realize what a game changer it's going to be.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Goat said some stuff ....

yeah, Bo is trying to rile up MSU fans but it is deeper than just getting listeners. He is already kicked butt in the listener category. He is frustrated just like all of us that OM is picking off recruits and from our roster and transfers from LSU. Or he is talking for someone else to get the message out.

yes Kentucky. I don't care what happened back whenever. Kentucky's current recruiting class is ranked #15 and we are #29 (last I saw). So Bo is right, for this season. We shall see what turns up or doesn't come signing day.

Also I'm sure there was a interview done by OLF (Bart G) in which Vanhorn explained that if an athlete uses a MSU logo or says they are affiliated with MSU in their nil deal, it must be approved by the University NIL compliance department.
No ****, sherlock.

https://www.wallerlaw.com/news-insi...-university-intellectual-property-IP-policies

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If Vandy wanted to poor money into football, they could likely put in more than us. We still have plenty of resources to build a perennial top 25 program.

That’s not necessarily true. While Vandy alums tend to be more wealthy than those at other SEC schools, there are only about half as many of them as there are MSU / OM grads. There are also significantly less than half of the alumni at your much larger SEC schools. So their money pool from boosters isn’t really any bigger.

Furthermore, they are still limited by the admissions requirements to a significant extent. No, a football player on scholarship doesn’t have to hit the same academic requirements as a normal student applying for admission, but a kid with a 16 on the ACT and a 1.8 GPA ain’t getting in no matter how much some boosters want him on the field. And the vast majority of elite football athletes in the Southeast are much closer to those numbers than they are to what it would normally take to get in. Baseball is a different story, which is why you see them being able to develop the advantage that they did there.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The school has to approve it from a PR perspective. If a kid wants to be paid to be on a billboard for the Pink Pony or Marlboro Lights or some vape shop, obviously the school may not be OK with that. There’s nothing beyond that, but saying the school doesn’t have to approve it when it’s their name, image, and likeness also on the hook is completely not true.

Aug 28, 2018
I guess out of 1100 some-odd NCAA institutions, we are the only one just offering scholarships. Man, we've fallen so far behind. Pretty soon we're going to be battling it out with Belhaven and Millsaps ***

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Vandy's endowment is $10 billion, ours is almost $700 million (UM and Auburn are slightly ahead of us at $775M). Vandy can find a way to get more athletes in if they want, Notre Dame has signed several top 10 classes over the past few years, Stanford's 2022 class is currently sitting at 10. We are just lucky they don't care about football, if they starting caring, they could get to a 7-5 type team quickly.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Our problem, and I am NOT being critical, is that at every school serious about competing in football needs to have either an AD or a HC (actually both is better) who is a great hustler/fundraiser/promoter of the program. We have neither.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Vandy's endowment is $10 billion, ours is almost $700 million (UM and Auburn are slightly ahead of us at $775M). Vandy can find a way to get more athletes in if they want, Notre Dame has signed several top 10 classes over the past few years, Stanford's 2022 class is currently sitting at 10. We are just lucky they don't care about football, if they starting caring, they could get to a 7-5 type team quickly.

You mean like they were when James Franklin was there? I thought you were saying they would actually be some type of special program. But yes, if they hire a good coach, they can go 7-5 in the East (which is equivalent to about 4-8 in the West). In any case, it’s not some huge impact to us currently. We only play them twice every 6 years.

Also, that endowment money doesn’t mean a damn thing for football recruiting. Those are earmarked dollars that they can’t just use to start writing NIL checks with.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
There is about a 0% chance that you don’t know who he is. 50% of the front page is post with different segments from his show.

I've seen that, but I've never heard his show, not even in passing, so I really don't know who he is or why I should give a rip about what he thinks. I take it from the responses I haven't missed much.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Texas just announced that every lineman on the team will receive 50k a year guaranteed.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I have an uncle who is an Alabama booster, and he could cover $4 mil a year himself. He won't, but there are several others that would.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Im no expert but I am sure none of these NIL deals have anything at all to do with the AD or school at all. Apparently its not an issue this year but I would imagine it could become one. WHY sign at State when a law firm is paying 10 or 20 grand a year for OM players ? The day of flat out paying players is very close at hand

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Our problem, and I am NOT being critical, is that at every school serious about competing in football needs to have either an AD or a HC (actually both is better) who is a great hustler/fundraiser/promoter of the program. We have neither.
No, our problem is that we are a small fanbase who splits a state with another fanbase that is similar in size. We are going above and beyond to get a crowd of 60K, while a blue blood has 75K for an FCS game in the middle of September heat.

THAT is the difference, THAT tells the tale. It's a metaphor for all of it. They have more fans that care, which equals more money and more enthusiasm. Auburn had 85K for Alabama State. Clemson had 75K for South Carolina State. Meanwhile we had 47K for Tennessee State.

You guys are getting mad at the wrong people. You're going after things that won't move the needle. The state of Mississippi needs to grow, or we simply need to get lucky and win, to grow our fanbase. And we still have fans that get pissed about academics and say we need to curb enrollment. What in the literal 17?

MSU simply can't win with some of you.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Wait a second, are we saying that we’re afraid that MSU could lose a croot to a school that has a larger alumni base that is willing to churn out NIL money? Who are those schools? Texas, LSU, Georgia, Bama, A&M…..you get the idea. AKA the schools that can take whoever they want from us anyway. The athletic department is not blind. They will do what it takes to stay on the level to compete with the schools that we already compete with.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We were a small fanbase when Bod Tyler, Jackie Sherrill and Greg Byrne were there too. They all ACTIVELY promoted the football program. Are you stupid enough to believe that our baseball program would have just happened without the Ron Polk's, John Cohen's and MANY MORE promoting it ? Wealth and numbers won't do **** without someone actively heading the promoting and marketing efforts.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login