Bo Bounds says Gautreau

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Are we sure they don’t want to take a look at Lemonis?

We all know you're joking but apropos of that topic Coastal Carolina's coach announced he's retiring after the 2024 season and that's just up the road from Myrtle Beach where Lemonis grew up...

Reactions: patdog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
We all know you're joking but apropos of that topic Coastal Carolina's coach announced he's retiring after the 2024 season and that's just up the road from Myrtle Beach where Lemonis grew up...
Denzel Washington Love GIF

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Maybe I just don't remember all of the hits but when I think of our hitting I remember all of those runners left on base, leading the league hitting into double plays, all of the missed opportunities missed from ground outs to 1B or 2B by Clark and Hancock, those 2 and 3 hit games, etc.

Reactions: josebrown

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Guilty by association, I can understand that but it’s hard to blame the offense for the last 2 years. Now I’m not saying they were the best offense in the world but they were good enough to be a respectful team with a decent pitching staff.
Fully agree with this, and honestly, we didn’t even need a decent pitching staff. Just not one that’s historically bad

If we had given up two less runs per game which would still have been bottom third in the conference, we’d have won or tied 7 additional games, putting us around 34-19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Shoot, this would be best case scenario. Let's say Lemon pulls a Cohen 2016, puts together a winner full of mercenaries and gets a national seed or hosts. If he bolted for Coastal after that, other than the shame some of our dumber fans would feel, wouldn't this be awesome?

I mean it's not like things like this haven't happened before. Dana Holgersen left West Virginia for Houston, etc.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I
Guilty by association, I can understand that but it’s hard to blame the offense for the last 2 years. Now I’m not saying they were the best offense in the world but they were good enough to be a respectful team with a decent pitching staff.
We were tied for 10th in the SEC in runs scored (and played 1 more game than the team we tied with) and were 12th in RBIs. Geautreau's offense was less terrible than anything else about this team. But it was still pretty bad.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Shoot, this would be best case scenario. Let's say Lemon pulls a Cohen 2016, puts together a winner full of mercenaries and gets a national seed or hosts. If he bolted for Coastal after that, other than the shame some of our dumber fans would feel, wouldn't this be awesome?

I mean it's not like things like this haven't happened before. Dana Holgersen left West Virginia for Houston, etc.
Lemonis has said he's going to South Carolina when he retires so it's well within the realm of possibility.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Maybe I just don't remember all of the hits but when I think of our hitting I remember all of those runners left on base, leading the league hitting into double plays, all of the missed opportunities missed from ground outs to 1B or 2B by Clark and Hancock, those 2 and 3 hit games, etc.
They were not all world by any means but generally in the top half of the conference in most hitting categories

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You see glass half full, I see glass half empty.

Of the 14 teams:
11th in number of runs scored
13th in number of hits
10th in RBIs
13th in Strike Outs
2nd in number of DPs hit into (as in 2nd most)

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Of the 14 teams:
13th in number of hits
10th in RBIs
13th in Strike Outs
To be clear 13th in strikeouts means we struck out the second fewest times in the league(i dont know why they rank them that way). We were 5th best in conference play. We continue to have good production in various metrics except runs scored which is obviously the most important. Last year Ks were the culprit. This year it was BA, OBP and GDP despite being 3rd in slug in conf. But Id love to see our BA with RISP the last two years. It has to be abysmal.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I

We were tied for 10th in the SEC in runs scored (and played 1 more game than the team we tied with) and were 12th in RBIs. Geautreau's offense was less terrible than anything else about this team. But it was still pretty bad.
Can you scream that louder for the back of the classroom. I got so tired of hearing how our hitting was good. I don’t care if we batted .400 with a GPS of 2.75 and an exit velo average of 113 knots. The point of the game is to score runs. If we are in the bottom 1/4 in total runs we are not good offensively.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

They have already named their asst as the future HC.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

Of the 14 teams:
13th in number of hits
10th in RBIs
13th in Strike Outs

Hold on. To be fair, you REALLY have to consider that the teams we were ranked against all got three games against the worst staff in the SEC, far. That’s 10% of your games. Im not kidding.

I’m not sure how our runs allowed per SEC game stack up (not ERA). But I guarantee it’s last. Probably by a wide margin. Is it higher than 11? I just don’t know, but that’s 33 runs our offense doesn’t get.

The offense was average enough to win games.

• Haha

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It's pretty hard to score more than the other team when you give double digits every game. Probly screws with your hitters when they go to the plate down 13 to 1 in the fourth inning

• Haha

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's pretty hard to score more than the other team when you give double digits every game. Probly screws with your hitters when they go to the plate down 13 to 1 in the fourth inning
Good lord at the lengths some of you people will go to to pin all of our problems (pitching, offense, defense) all on one man who was just a pitching coach.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Hold on. To be fair, you REALLY have to consider that the teams we were ranked against all got three games against the worst staff in the SEC, far. That’s 10% of your games. Im not kidding.

I’m not sure how our runs allowed per SEC game stack up (not ERA). But I guarantee it’s last. Probably by a wide margin. Is it higher than 11? I just don’t know, but that’s 33 runs our offense doesn’t get.

What’s hilarious, is 2 of the 3 teams we didn’t play are below us in runs. We may have some truth here.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

The offense was average enough to win games

I'm amazed at the lengths people will go to say we didn't suck as bad as it looked that we sucked.

How about this then, we got run ruled 7 times so that's 14 innings we didn't get the chance to score, poor us! But, that's also 14 innings that the other team didn't get an opportunity to "whip dat arse" even more than the 10 runs they did beat us by? Face it, we sucked the past 2 years any way you look at it

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Of the 14 teams:
13th in number of hits
10th in RBIs
13th in Strike Outs
7th in batting average
6th in slugging percentage
6th in on base percentage
6th in doubles
7th in home runs

A lot of the items you mentioned can be partially blamed on getting run ruled so much and missing several innings. We were 12th in both total plate appearances and at bats. That alone will explain being lower in hits, RBIs and runs. A&M had 317 more plate appearances than state.

When things are looked at on a percentage basis, this was a middle of the pack offense. Again, I’m not claiming this was a top tier offense, but it was good enough to win games.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Offense was good enough to get us into post season play if we have any pitching. That's about it. Fairly average but still solid.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
On the flip side, it probably hurts their pitcher sitting in his dugout for 30 minutes multiple times a game while we walk the side. They also probably are throwing more strikes as teams do with big leads. Well. Except for us.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
7th in batting average
6th in doubles
7th in home runs

A lot of the items you mentioned can be partially blamed on getting run ruled so much and missing several innings. We were 12th in both total plate appearances and at bats. That alone will explain being lower in hits, RBIs and runs. A&M had 317 more plate appearances than state.

When things are looked at on a percentage basis, this was a middle of the pack offense. Again, I’m not claiming this was a top tier offense, but it was good enough to win games.
In SEC play we were 9th in BA and 10th in OBP but 3rd in slug. Again GDIP is a problem. But BA with RISP has to be the issue. It’s amazing to be 10th in runs yet higher than 10th in so many other categories.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Fully agree with this, and honestly, we didn’t even need a decent pitching staff. Just not one that’s historically bad

If we had given up two less runs per game which would still have been bottom third in the conference, we’d have won or tied 7 additional games, putting us around 34-19
Hell if we just walk 2.5 less people a game we probably accomplish this.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
7th in batting average
6th in doubles
7th in home runs

I’m only counting SEC games. Hanging 27 on Valley is great, but not using those games for statistical comparisons.
I took the ABs and divided it by runs. So statistically even. Numbers are runs per AB
LSU .234
AM .209
UF .209
KY .208
Ark .202
Vandy .201
Tenn .200
AU .199
SC .196
Bama .187
State .184
Mizz .181
UGA .172
OM .150

So we were 11th.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
My opinion of Gotro is he's good, not great. Like foxhall woth pitchers. If a player didn't come in with the ability to hit, he wasn't going to develop that player into a hitter.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I'm amazed at the lengths people will go to say we didn't suck as bad as it looked that we sucked.

How about this then, we got run ruled 7 times so that's 14 innings we didn't get the chance to score, poor us! But, that's also 14 innings that the other team didn't get an opportunity to "whip dat arse" even more than the 10 runs they did beat us by? Face it, we sucked the past 2 years any way you look at it
Haha we were horrible and Lemonis should be fired today BUT the only bright spot on a horrible team was hitting. And that bright spot was average for a SEC team. If everything else was average, we would be a 2 seed or maybe even hosting as a non-National seed. Hitting was the only thing not the problem.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Good lord at the lengths some of you people will go to to pin all of our problems (pitching, offense, defense) all on one man who was just a pitching coach.
RunruLemonis is the man in charge. It's his responsibility to make the whole show run right

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login