Bob Marcum died

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
He died from complications from a stroke. He was at USC for 6 years. He retired from Marshall in 2009.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Sad there aren't more post on him! I don't really remember his tenure myself. RIP Mr. Marcum
Probably a lack of posts because he was AD decades ago, I remember him. He was not as good as Hyman, who I believe has been our best AD. But I think he was probably our 2nd best AD. He hired Joe Morrison.

Reactions: Cackmandu

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
This was when USC finally got smart and hired an AD who was only the AD. Prior to Marcum, the AD was also the head football coach. RIP sir.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
Probably a lack of posts because he was AD decades ago, I remember him. He was not as good as Hyman, who I believe has been our best AD. But I think he was probably our 2nd best AD. He hired Joe Morrison.
And I believe he got us into the Metro Conference. We were struggling being an independent.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
This was when USC finally got smart and hired an AD who was only the AD. Prior to Marcum, the AD was also the head football coach. RIP sir.
He abdicated on handling the problems surrounding the end of the Morrison era. It made him expendable, even if he did recover some money in court.

Reactions: atl-cock

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
And I believe he got us into the Metro Conference. We were struggling being an independent.

Correct

Reactions: Cybercock and CWW

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Its interesting to see the rest of his career, and what other schools said

https://umassathletics.com/news/202...ssing-of-former-athletics-director-bob-marcum

Marcum oversaw UMass Athletics from 1993 - 2002.
AMHERST, Mass. – Massachusetts Athletics mourns the passing of longtime former Director of Athletics Bob Marcum, who passed away on Tuesday, July 23 at the age of 87.

Marcum served as Director of Athletics for the University of Massachusetts from 1993-2002, overseeing a stretch of great success for the Minutemen and Minutewomen. During that decade long run, the men's basketball team won four Atlantic 10 Championships (1993-96) and earned six consecutive NCAA Tournament berths (1993-98) under head coach John Calipari.

Massachusetts also won the 1998 NCAA I-AA Football title, made the first two NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament appearances in program history (1996 and 1998) and made back-to-back trips to the College World Series in softball (1997 and 1998). All told, UMass athletics captured 65 Atlantic 10 titles and made 70 NCAA Tournament appearances under Marcum.

During Marcum's tenure, UMass won the Atlantic 10 Commissioner's Cup six times in an eight-year span and he was honored as the 1999 NACDA Northeast Region I-AA Athletic Director of the Year. UMass also produced more Atlantic 10 all-academic selections than any other league school over Marcum's final seven years and led the conference in academic all-league picks six times.

Marcum served as the athletic director at Marshall (2002-09), South Carolina (1982-88) and Kansas (1978-82) after beginning his career at Iowa State in 1971, where he served as associate athletic director until moving to Kansas. He also served as vice president and general manager of the Charlotte Motor Speedway from 1988-90 and vice president and general manager of the Atlanta Motor Speedway from 1990-93.

A native of Huntington, West Virginia, Marcum inducted into the UMass Athletics Hall of Fame as a member of the Class of 2009.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Marshall, 2002-2009

https://www.wvnews.com/sports/colle...cle_6a7610fe-4a02-11ef-8b40-ffef628b2a84.html

While Bob Marcum’s career in college athletics began in 1971 and spanned multiple decades, the final stop was at home.
Serving as Marshall’s athletic director from 2002-09, Marcum most notably helped lead the Herd’s move to Conference USA in 2005.
He played football briefly at Marshall and was a Huntington native. His first-ever position in athletics was as an assistant high school football coach under all-time great Don Nehlen.

Marcum died on Tuesday at the age of 87.

Marshall University released a statement lauding Marcum’s commitment to his hometown community.
“Bob Marcum served his alma mater as AD with true dedication, an indomitable spirit and a love of all things green and white. Under his leadership, Marshall Athletics saw significant bricks and mortar growth including renovations of the Shewey Building, football weight room, new locker rooms for men’s and women’s basketball and a new softball complex,” Marshall University said in a statement. “We are grateful for his vision and leadership that served our university and student athletes so well. We send our sympathy to his family and friends.”

His path to Marshall made stops at Kansas, South Carolina and UMass, all of which he spent time as an athletic director.
Marcum’s college athletics career began at Iowa State, where he was an associate athletic director from 1971-78. His first athletic director job was at Kansas in 1978.

At Kansas, Marcum re-hired coach Don Fambrough in 1979. He went on to win Big Eight coach of the year honors alongside a 1981 bowl victory. The school won 15 Big Eight Conference championships between six sports in his tenure.

In 1982, he took the same position at South Carolina. He spearheaded the movement to the Metro Conference in 1983, where the Gamecocks remained until their inclusion in the Southeastern Conference in 1991. South Carolina won two Metro Conference championships and 10 conference tournament titles during his tenure.

Among those titles was the first of many conference championships in women’s basketball in 1986. Marcum hired Nancy Wilson, who won five Metro Conference championships. Marcum also hired Joe Morrison as head football coach in 1982. At the time, USC set school records with a 10-2 record and a No. 2 national ranking.

Among Marcum’s other ventures was time spent as vice president of Charlotte Motore Speedway and Atlanta Motor Speedway. He returned as an AD for UMass in 1993.

Marcum is a member of the UMass Hall of Fame, inducted in 2009. In a dominant stretch for athletics at the school, Marcum saw the men’s basketball team win four Atlantic 10 championships. The school earned six consecutive NCAA tournament berths under none other than coach John Calipari.

Calipari made comments on X (formerly Twitter) following Marcums’ passing on Tuesday.
“He and I had a great couple hours in the hospital,” Calipari remarked. “Talked about our time together at UMass, he as AD and me his coach. We laughed cried and prayed.”

UMass won the 1998 NCAA I-AA, now known as FCS, title over Georgia Southern. The school made its first two NCAA tournament appearances in women’s basketball during his time as AD as well. Altogether, UMass saw 65 Atlantic 10 titles and 70 tournament appearances. The school won the Atlantic 10 Commissioner’s Cup six times in eight years.

He was honored as the 1999 NACDA Northeast Region I-AA Athletic Director of the Year.
Current UMass AD Ryan Bamford shared his thoughts on X as well.

“Bob was always great to me,” he said. “Generous with his time and always supportive of our efforts to advance the department. I received many nice notes from Bob and had a few fun talks by phone. May he Rest In Peace.”

Marcum’s last position was at Marshall, where he retired in 2009.

Marshall won a Mid-American Conference championship in football in 2002 along with a GMAC bowl win. The Herd won a regular season championship in the MAC and saw a NCAA Doubles Championship appearance in women’s tennis in 2004 before making the move to Conference USA.

Marcum is survived by one daughter and three grandchildren.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Holderman fired him for "misrepresentation", interesting to read this press release now, based on what we now know about Holderman and um his "misrepresentations"

Based on how history turned out, not surprised Marcum went on to a productive AD career multiple places elsewhere.

South Carolina Fires Athletic Director​

L.A. Times Archives
March 2, 1988 12 AM PT

Associated Press
COLUMBIA, S.C. —
Bob Marcum, athletic director at the University of South Carolina, was fired Tuesday after a task force found the school had not conducted random drug testing of athletes since the spring of 1986.

Team physician Dr. Paul Akers also has been relieved of his duties and “termination proceedings are being instituted,” school President James Holderman said at a news conference Tuesday.

“While there is no reason to conclude from the report that a drug problem exists in Carolina’s athletic department, the findings show that we do not have an effective drug-testing program,” Holderman said.

Holderman also said the task force found at least one player who tested positive for drugs three times but was not discharged.
Under the school’s present program, an athlete testing positive three times for drugs is to be kicked off the team.

Holderman said that Marcum and Akers “misrepresented” the drug-testing program to him, other school officials and the public.
Advertisement

Asked if Marcum lied, Holderman said: “I don’t know whether lie is appropriate.” He did say that he had not been informed of the lack of testing.
Marcum, 51, was appointed athletic director by Holderman in January, 1982, after serving in the same post at Kansas.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022
Peppermint Paul was an excellent AD. He could raise money. Upon his departure the department was somewhat split. McGuire handled the basketball program, Carlen the remaining, but delegated.

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
Holderman fired him for "misrepresentation", interesting to read this press release now, based on what we now know about Holderman and um his "misrepresentations"

Based on how history turned out, not surprised Marcum went on to a productive AD career multiple places elsewhere.

South Carolina Fires Athletic Director​

L.A. Times Archives
March 2, 1988 12 AM PT

Associated Press
COLUMBIA, S.C. —
Bob Marcum, athletic director at the University of South Carolina, was fired Tuesday after a task force found the school had not conducted random drug testing of athletes since the spring of 1986.

Team physician Dr. Paul Akers also has been relieved of his duties and “termination proceedings are being instituted,” school President James Holderman said at a news conference Tuesday.

“While there is no reason to conclude from the report that a drug problem exists in Carolina’s athletic department, the findings show that we do not have an effective drug-testing program,” Holderman said.

Holderman also said the task force found at least one player who tested positive for drugs three times but was not discharged.
Under the school’s present program, an athlete testing positive three times for drugs is to be kicked off the team.

Holderman said that Marcum and Akers “misrepresented” the drug-testing program to him, other school officials and the public.
Advertisement

Asked if Marcum lied, Holderman said: “I don’t know whether lie is appropriate.” He did say that he had not been informed of the lack of testing.
Marcum, 51, was appointed athletic director by Holderman in January, 1982, after serving in the same post at Kansas.
Holderman was still university president in 1988? Thought we'd gotten rid of that criminal long before then!

Reactions: Gradstudent

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Peppermint Paul was an excellent AD. He could raise money. Upon his departure the department was somewhat split. McGuire handled the basketball program, Carlen the remaining, but delegated.
Other than Dietzel's stand via a vis the ACC and academic eligibility, I'll agree with you. But there was too much discord in the athletic department overall. Wasn't McGuire promised the AD position?

Again, this is why, especially at a large school heavily invested in varsity sports, the AD should not be coaching any one sport.

Jan 24, 2022
Other than Dietzel's stand via a vis the ACC and academic eligibility, I'll agree with you. But there was too much discord in the athletic department overall. Wasn't McGuire promised the AD position?

Again, this is why, especially at a large school heavily invested in varsity sports, the AD should not be coaching any one sport.
Frank wasn’t promised, but was allowed all control over his program upon dietzels departure.
You may recall Frank pulled his players out of the Roost when Paul enforced a roost curfew. Think they were segregated into one of the honeycombs floors?
I think back in the day before athletic departments exploded a coach could handle the duties. A much slmpler time.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Frank wasn’t promised, but was allowed all control over his program upon dietzels departure.
You may recall Frank pulled his players out of the Roost when Paul enforced a roost curfew. Think they were segregated into one of the honeycombs floors?
I think back in the day before athletic departments exploded a coach could handle the duties. A much slmpler time.
True. I'm glad you mentioned the Roost. In principle, I'm not in favour of segregating athletes from other students. However, I can appreciate a curfew to help keep scholarship players out of trouble (one of the responsibilities for accepting athletics grant-in-aid).

Yes, with the ever-increasing growth of Athletics Departments and the $$$ invested in it, it's not as simple as even when McGuire came to Cola.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Holderman was still university president in 1988? Thought we'd gotten rid of that criminal long before then!
He resigned June 1, 1990 and stepped down on July 1st 1990.

U. of South Carolina Head Quits Under Fire​

AP
  • June 1, 1990
U. of South Carolina Head Quits Under Fire

Credit...The New York Times Archives

June 1, 1990, Section D, Page 16

The president of the University of South Carolina has resigned after weeks of criticism over lavish spending on fund-raising trips and big fees to lure celebrity lecturers and speakers to the school.

James B. Holderman, 54 years old, who has headed the 40,000-student state university since 1977, will step down on July 1.
Mr. Holderman made no reference to the criticism when he announced his resignation Wednesday, and he declined to answer reporters' questions. Reading from a statement in front of his home, he said that in the ''collective judgment'' of his family it was ''time to pursue new personal and professional challenges.''

Mr. Holderman used luxury hotels on fund-raising trips, hired $35-an-hour chauffeured limousines in Washington and often chartered jets or flew first class, according to records from the university and private foundations affiliated with the school.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login