Boise State pulls out of AZ bowl…….

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Central Michigan will be the big winners in this. They most likely will trade the Arizona Bowl and it’s $355,000 payout for the Sun Bowl and it’s $4.5 million payout. It will also trade a bowl game that’s not even televised for one that will be televised nationally on CBS.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
The pandemic is over.

Nobody is dying from covid. CDC just said to treat it like common common cold. People are acting like it’s a death sentence. What are we doing here? Life is short. You don’t get back the days you waste being scared.— Dave Portnoy (@stoolpresidente) December 27, 2021 For the literal police:And yeah I know people are dying. But people die from stuff everyday including the flu. Omicron is not killing people in any sort of fashion that everybody should be drastically altering their lives.— Dave Portnoy (@stoolpresidente) December 28, 2021

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
That sucks for all of the Barstools guys. Finally get a chance at a bowl and a different way of presenting to and this happens

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
They will be fine. The way we consume sports is changing and canceling this game won't stop that. Barstool is focusing on the right things.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Non-playoff bowls don't matter to the teams and fans, and unfortunately the sponsors are finding out the hard way. The bubble is popping. It's just like a real estate, or any investment, bubble. Someone eventually gets caught with their pants down at the end. In a normal non-COVID year, it wouldn't matter, they'd all make their money, and we'd move on. But now the teams who don't want to be there have an excuse that no one can question because, well, Rona Outrage. Downvote away, Sixpack Squad.

Expand the playoff. It's time.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
At this point I'm curious as to whether or not

the folks who think there are too many bowls are elated by all these cancellations.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The Barstool Bowl payout was only $355,000?

I thought those guys were rich.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
“Those guys” probably weren’t using a lot of their own money (funding via ads and such) for the payouts.

And some folks would say that using other people’s money is how you stay rich. **

Seriously though, hate it for Barstool. Hopefully they had things insured so they keep their losses to a minimum.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
The Barstool Bowl payout was only $355,000?

I thought those guys were rich.

That's total payout. One of the news stations in El Paso said that Central Michigan would get 175,000 for the Arizona Bowl and 2.3M for the Sun Bowl. A no brainer for CMU. The Sun did have to compensate the Arizona Bowl.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Non-playoff bowls don't matter to the teams and fans, and unfortunately the sponsors are finding out the hard way. The bubble is popping. It's just like a real estate, or any investment, bubble. Someone eventually gets caught with their pants down at the end. In a normal non-COVID year, it wouldn't matter, they'd all make their money, and we'd move on. But now the teams who don't want to be there have an excuse that no one can question because, well, Rona Outrage. Downvote away, Sixpack Squad.

Expand the playoff. It's time.

I think some of these teams are going to really regret dropping out of these bowls when they don't make it to a bowl in future years. Not sure how long sponsors are going to shell out for games that the players and colleges don't give a **** about.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That's total payout. One of the news stations in El Paso said that Central Michigan would get 175,000 for the Arizona Bowl and 2.3M for the Sun Bowl. A no brainer for CMU. The Sun did have to compensate the Arizona Bowl.

Oof. $175,000. That’s pretty weak. Boise State probably came out ahead financially by cancelling.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think some of these teams are going to really regret dropping out of these bowls when they don't make it to a bowl in future years. Not sure how long sponsors are going to shell out for games that the players and colleges don't give a **** about.
Yeah, but it all depends on how quickly things move toward an expanded playoff. To me, the answer is very clear - it needs to happen now. It's going to happen, may as well do it now. But I could see things dragging, as Texas/Oklahoma may not get here for a few years, and NIL gets ironed out with the NCAA, etc. I think we are entering into a lull period for a few years while details get fixed, then around 2023 or 2024, I think things will stabilize. I would imagine there is still some conference realignment coming in the near future.

And that stabilization would be welcomed by everyone, I believe. Would be nice to get back to talking about rivalries and such, rather than if mother 17ing games should even be played. I think even the wokes are tiring of all the nonsense.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login