Elon's new toy

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Elon is not much more than a shyster these days when it comes to Tesla.

He makes outlandish promises and then puts on a wizard of Oz act.

The robots he showed off are way behind companies like Boston Dynamics. The robot on stage was not autonomous, it had a human operator controlling everything it did.

Optimus Smoke and Mirrors article

The machines were not in fact exhibiting any true artificial intelligence at all.

They were voiced and operated by humans remotely wearing special suits that translated their movements to the droid.

The same could be said with Tesla's robo taxi. People are acting like this is something nobody else is doing... The fact is Tesla is way behind. Their self driving is falling further and further behind because Elon refuses to admit he was wrong for not adopting Lidar. Elon is saying it will be 2-3 more years before they begin to roll out the robo taxi, yet Waymo is already doing it in 4 different cities with close to 1000 autonomous taxis on the road by the end of the year.

Just don't fall for these events. He's a snake oil guy. The cybertruck was introduced in 2019 and was supposed to be ready by 2021 with the base model at $40k. It was three years late and the cheapest model is currently $95,000.

This has nothing to do with politics. I think his leading the Exodus of California tech out of the over regulation of that state has been amazing... I also appreciate his antiwokeness...I just 17ing hate the guy.

He has knocked up 5 different women with like 14 kids. Is not involved in their lives and just sends money. Kids need fathers. He lies like a mofo to investors and he takes credit for other people's ideas as if they were his own. You can buy his BS if you want, but it's always going to fail to deliver.

Reactions: mstateglfr and 8dog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Elon is not much more than a shyster these days when it comes to Tesla.
Yet he is leading the following companies, unprecedented in any human era. In contrast, what have you done to compare? Sure his personal life is in shambles but man, we are seeing the most successful human in history that make Rockefeller, Carnagie, J.P. Morgan, Jay Gould, Thomas Edison, The Wright Brothers, NASA, Warren Buffet, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Mark Cuban, Bill Gates, etc all look completely small minded and limited in their businesses they lead. Most of them could not lead a single company below to success, not 1.
  • Tesla
  • SpaceX
  • Nueralink
  • Twitter/X
  • The Boring Company
  • OpenAI
  • xAI
  • Zip2
  • SolarCity
  • Paypay (sold)

Reactions: tbaydog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
In the 70s/80s, we were promised flying cars by the year 2000.
Life still has 38 years to imitate the Jetsons…

Get To Work Car GIF by Boomerang Official

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I so much enjoy watching the weak and lazy attack those getting results. It's pitiful really, and I should not enjoy their grovelling, but I do. It is the epitemy of admiting defeat and being overcome with envy.
They hate him and anything about him because he supports Trump.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Austin TX will. Because I got behind one. Amazing.
Was it a Waymo? I have the app because I've used them in LA and Phoenix. It's just like calling an Uber. Very cool. But I think they still have humans working it. There's a guy sitting in an office somewhere watching each drive in case they need a backup plan on any certain drive.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You make valid points.

However, what you've described is the inventive process for new technology. (my opinion)

Invention is most often an iterative process that takes years to reach a particular level/capability.

Also, as new technology is being developed, people often like to talk about it and/or analyze and critque it. Improvements result from these discussions.

We likely won't solve all the issues with this robot today on SixPack, but it's fun to talk about it.
I don't knock Musk or Tesla for struggling to develop a self driving vehicle.
I totally understand it could take years and years and even then never come to fruition.

The reason I brought it up was because his constant promises were directly tied to pumping up stock value and the fact that if a corporate leader gives a time line for a product or service, the expectation is for that to happen or there are consequences(fines, devalued stock, removal of leader from position, etc) depending on the claim and impact.

I was pointing out the trend of constantly promising something is coming soon and applying it to the thread's subject.

I do love that all this started from a typical tbay Twitter post where he cited something that isn't even real.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Was it a Waymo? I have the app because I've used them in LA and Phoenix. It's just like calling an Uber. Very cool. But I think they still have humans working it. There's a guy sitting in an office somewhere watching each drive in case they need a backup plan on any certain drive.
yep. fascinating. my uber driver said all other drivers hate them. funny

Reactions: Darryl Steight

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yet he is leading the following companies, unprecedented in any human era. In contrast, what have you done to compare? Sure his personal life is in shambles but man, we are seeing the most successful human in history that make Rockefeller, Carnagie, J.P. Morgan, Jay Gould, Thomas Edison, The Wright Brothers, NASA, Warren Buffet, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Mark Cuban, Bill Gates, etc all look completely small minded and limited in their businesses they lead. Most of them could not lead a single company below to success, not 1.
  • Tesla
  • SpaceX
  • Nueralink
  • Twitter/X
  • The Boring Company
  • OpenAI
  • xAI
  • Zip2
  • SolarCity
  • Paypay (sold)
-Didn't Musk get fired/pushed out of PayPal?

- And are we really claiming he is leading Twitter to success?...like really? If so, by what metric?

- Musk left OpenAI like 6 years ago, well before OpenAI became known for anything. He left because he wasn't allowed to lead, yet you are crediting him with leading OpenAI.
Odd.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
-Didn't Musk get fired/pushed out of PayPal?

- And are we really claiming he is leading Twitter to success?...like really? If so, by what metric?

- Musk left OpenAI like 6 years ago, well before OpenAI became known for anything. He left because he wasn't allowed to lead, yet you are crediting him with leading OpenAI.
Odd.

Musk got $176M from the acquisition of Paypal to eBay, which allowed him to move on to bigger, better things.

Odd that you view the success of Twitter only as financial. Dig a little deeper neophyte.

Fair enough on OpenAI. He just seems to know what is worthy of attention, and seems to know how to kick out all the wortlhless, talking head MBA's out of an organization. Many companies should do the same.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Based on the stock price and it's surges, a lot of investors really want the technology.
That's my point, though....why?

I'm in favor of pushing the technology to develop autonomous vehicles, just because I'm in favor of pushing technology. I'm sure this could turn into something useful.

But how badly does anyone want to own one, other than tech geeks who like gadgets? I'm one if those tech geeks, but after giving this one some thought I'm not interested.

If an autonomous taxi costs the same as an Uber, I would try it. I don't think I would pay extra just for the experience.

Reactions: mstateglfr

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Musk got $176M from the acquisition of Paypal to eBay, which allowed him to move on to bigger, better things.

Odd that you view the success of Twitter only as financial. Dig a little deeper neophyte.

Fair enough on OpenAI. He just seems to know what is worthy of attention, and seems to know how to kick out all the wortlhless, talking head MBA's out of an organization. Many companies should do the same.

Ok, I will attempt to make this more basic and obvious.

you claimed Musk 'is leading the following companies, unprecedented in any human era.'
you claimed a bunch of others couldnt lead 1 company, much less all those on your list.

Now in reality, Musk is not leading all those companies. And some are ones he lead years ago, so its not like he is leading all of them right now. PayPal was nearly a quarter century ago.
Further, ones I pointed out arent even examples of him leading well.

- He founded X.com and was quickly replaced as CEO by the board. X.com then merged with PayPal and Musk became CEO. In less than one year, Musk was again removed from being CEO by a board.
THIS DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR NARRATIVE OF MUSK BEING A TITAN AMONG LEADERS.

- He bought Twitter because he impulsively declared he would, then fought to get out of the purchase and lost. In only 2 years, he has devalued the business to the point that it is worth nearly 80% less now(per Fidelity's valuation of its shares). The company no longer releases quarterly financial metrics. The company's main revenue stream, advertising, has shrunk severely. User experience, by multiple standard social media metrics, is worse than it was before he took over.

- He invested heavily in OpenAI, left before anything big happened because he wasnt allowed to lead, and OpenAI dominates cultural conversation now.

Musk has absolutely helped build/grow companies. Your list though is a joke and shows you dont even understand the argument you are making.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Ok, I will attempt to make this more basic and obvious.
Step back and think a little as to what defines the metrics of "success" for the Twitter takeover. It was not about financial success, it had to be done. Try to think outside the little box, if you are able to make that mental ascent. If you see Twitter as a failure only because of financial reasons then you need to broaden your mind and know what Twitter was before Musk. So many people want to see Twitter fail financially through boycotts, etc. Wake up lil fella.

Why would Musk be replaced by the board at PayPal? They were adding no value and they voted him out because he was going to 86 all of them. Like he did most of the dead weight at Twitter.

Being a leader of a company is doing what no one else will do. What needs to be done. Even when you are dealing with greedy arsed fat C level folks and upper management.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

I’m gonna guess the shareholders of X view success as strictly financial.

Jul 11, 2024
Still waiting for that self driving car he promised in like 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023...well like over a dozen times in the last decade.
I swear he has promised it is 'nearly complete' more times than I have fingers.

Meanwhile, we talk about computer generated/edited clips of what a robot may be able to someday do.
I remember when your kind worshiped Elon.

Guy is successful no matter what you think. And as a side note: He's also not a conservative right wing guy.

Reactions: tbaydog and onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I’m gonna guess the shareholders of X view success as strictly financial.
Yes as they should have but look at what X actually is and the impact it has on the US and the world. Twitter was by far the most abused/faked social media momentum/thought platform in the world, a for hire propoganda machine, sickening. If we could honestly see the ways Twitter was used over the last 10 years... Hopefully there will be a documentary on that.

It is delisted and should be private, and has been for almost a year now. It honestly makes me laugh to see people "coaching" on how to make Twitter better like Cuban does. And to see all those splinter minority groups still trying to attack Musk now that they cannot abuse Twitter like they once did. It's comical.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yes as they should have but look at what X actually is and the impact it has on the US and the world. Twitter was by far the most abused/faked social media momentum/thought platform in the world, a for hire propoganda machine, sickening.

It is delisted and should be private, and has been for almost a year now. It honestly makes me laugh to see people "coaching" on how to make Twitter better like Cuban does. And to see all those splinter minority groups still trying to attack Musk now that they cannot abuse Twitter like they once did. It's comical.
I don’t really invest in things for their impact and I doubt X shareholders do either. I invest for return. And I would never own a company whose CEO publicly stated he hopes customers would leave and could F off.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login