Book(s) you are currently reading.

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
1725554627252.png
Talks about assembly theory. She's been on Lex Fridman podcast with her colleague, Lee Cronin. Fascinating attempt to define life, determine how to detect it, and theorize about how it could be created from a "soup" of organic molecules.

J Glick

Nov 4, 2021
Not so much on golf instruction. All 3 books are more on courses the author played over a short period of time and the people he played with. A Course Called America gave me some ideas as for courses my wife and I should try and others we should probably avoid. Since our retirements, we decided to try to play golf in all 50 states plus the DC ... so far we have 40 ... only 11 more to go ... so this book gave us a couple of courses we should look into.

The interesting thing I learned in A Course Called Scotland is that there are a very few "private" courses in Scotland. Private clubs yes, but the courses they call home usually are public courses that anyone can play. Example The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is a private club, but their home courses St Andrews (Old, New, Jubilee, etc) are all accessible to the public.
Definitely agree that this effort was not as successful as the first two. Loved 'Ireland' and 'Scotland'. Not so much this one.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

J Glick

Nov 4, 2021
Not so much on golf instruction. All 3 books are more on courses the author played over a short period of time and the people he played with. A Course Called America gave me some ideas as for courses my wife and I should try and others we should probably avoid. Since our retirements, we decided to try to play golf in all 50 states plus the DC ... so far we have 40 ... only 11 more to go ... so this book gave us a couple of courses we should look into.

The interesting thing I learned in A Course Called Scotland is that there are a very few "private" courses in Scotland. Private clubs yes, but the courses they call home usually are public courses that anyone can play. Example The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is a private club, but their home courses St Andrews (Old, New, Jubilee, etc) are all accessible to the public.
Definitely agree that America wasn't as good as the first two. Really enjoyed both 'Ireland' and 'Scotland'. Not so much this one. I do like that Coyne is a local (Philly) guy.

Reactions: IrishHerb

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

Updated (ok, set in the 70s) retelling of the classic story. I think it's well done and am enjoying it

troutrus

Oct 7, 2021
“ancient Catholic notion of Refrigerium – that the damned are given occasional repose from the torments of Hell by being granted "days off" in other places." -cslewis.org

(sort of like getting to go to a ball game on the weekend after struggling at work all week.)

IMG_1081.jpeg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login