Bowl games

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Anyone else wish we still had these bowls on NYD ?
Cotton Bowl
Tampa Bowl - Tangerine, Outback, Reliaq
Citrus Bowl
Rose Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Sugar Bowl

made for a great day of football

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Cotton Bowl
Citrus Bowl
Rose Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Sugar Bowl

I mean... you can only watch one at a time. I’m good with 3, maybe 4 in one day.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It’s because it’s a Sunday. It’s not the first time those games have been moved.
I meant just all of the big bowls being played on the SAME day, not necessarily NYD
That’s been that way for a long time when it falls on a Sunday so as to not interfere with the NFL

Reactions: Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My friends in HS, college and after always set up multiple TVs connected to splitters from the cable and watched them all. A big pot of red beans and rice, cabbage, and cornbread, multiple coolers full of barley water and we were set for the day.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I mean... you can only watch one at a time. I’m good with 3, maybe 4 in one day.
You can only watch a few in a day, but most bowl games are not competitive. Ignoring financial reality for the bowls and TV networks, it'd be nice to me to have all the big bowls other than the playoff bowls on New Years day or spread out over the weekend and new years day (or Monday if New Years Day is on Sunday). Realistically, I'm not making a point to watch any bowl game that is not MSU or a playoff bowl, but if there are a handful on at all times across an afternoon such that you can be sure there will be at least one good one to watch or maybe a couple of good ones to flip back and forth between, making a weekend day or new years day of watching footblal and tailgating is a lot more attractive.

Reactions: Dawgg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That was a great day of football, the best. We really don't have anything like it now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
TV ruined that, like so many other things. We don't have the 'college football Saturday' atmosphere with the bowls that we used to have. I believe that's another MAJOR reason for the apathy and opt-outs. You were a apart of something when you had that. Now it's couch filler material.

That's why the 12-team playoff will thrive, and likely to the point we get 16 or 24 soon after. And the bowls will continue to take a nose-dive.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Cotton Bowl
Citrus Bowl
Rose Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Sugar Bowl

There are usually a number of these games on NYD. It's different this year because NYD is on a Sunday, and the NFL plays on Sunday.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The main thing I would like to avoid is overlapping the same conference vs conference matchups.

I still remember the SEC New Year's Day Massacre vs the Big Ten on Jan 1, 2011 and they put all of these games on at the same time:
Gator Bowl - Mississippi State vs Michigan
Outback Bowl - Florida vs Penn State
Citrus Bowl - Alabama vs Michigan State

Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I love watching all the bowl games and don't mind having a random MAC vs Sun Belt matchup on a Wednesday night. What the hell else am I going to watch?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login