TilloDwg

Aug 25, 2012
Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Star Wars Doom GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Never understood the 'hot name' stuff. What does that mean, besides the chance for the coach to get a big payday? And they likely got one from their current school anyway. Being a hot name means next to nothing when it comes to whether or not they will be a good coach. I suppose it can excite some sheep fans. But specifically:

Lance Leipold is 60 years old....he may just not want to move.

Matt Campbell is going to make some B2 program a damn good coach. He strikes me as the type of guy that would be perfect for Wisconsin or Penn State. He needs to be careful and not be like Mullen and take the wrong job.

Cignetti is 60 too, and holy hell, that's the energy MSU needed last year. Instead, we got Laid Back Leb Bro

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
The type of Coach we need here at State is someone who has been dominant and successful at a lower level or a much lower tier conference for sure. Mullen translated here to me because of what he had done at places like Bowling Green and Utah. These coaches listed are the perfect type of coach we need here.

Liepold- won 6 Division 3 three championships and had 5 undefeated seasons in his seven years at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, before coaching where he is now.

Campbell- won 2 Division 3 championships as an offensive coordinator in his only two seasons at Mount Union. Then as head coach at Toledo went 36-15 and had them in the top 20 at one time.

Cignetti- at the Division 2 level, IPU was 4-10 in conference before he got there. Cignetti finished 53–17 at IUP with three NCAA playoff appearances and two conference championships. Then at the FCS level he took over a losing Elon squad and turned them into national contenders immediately. Then took over at then FCS level James Madison and took them to the national championship game, and helped transition them to the Division 1 level.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Correct, which was even worse. Salmon had his mind made up before the search started.

SALMON SHOWTIME
Not really, the guy is retirement age already, you might have him 5 more years if you're lucky and you're looking around again about the time you should be hitting your stride. I don't have a problem bypassing him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The type of Coach we need here at State is someone who has been dominant and successful at a lower level or a much lower tier conference for sure. Mullen translated here to me because of what he had done at places like Bowling Green and Utah. These coaches listed are the perfect type of coach we need here.

Liepold- won 6 Division 3 three championships and had 5 undefeated seasons in his seven years at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, before coaching where he is now.

Campbell- won 2 Division 3 championships as an offensive coordinator in his only two seasons at Mount Union. Then as head coach at Toledo went 36-15 and had them in the top 20 at one time.

Cignetti- at the Division 2 level, IPU was 4-10 in conference before he got there. Cignetti finished 53–17 at IUP with three NCAA playoff appearances and two conference championships. Then at the FCS level he took over a losing Elon squad and turned them into national contenders immediately. Then took over at then FCS level James Madison and took them to the national championship game, and helped transition them to the Division 1 level.
Add Chris Kliemann to that too.

You're absolutely right though. In this new era, our answers are found, in many areas (coaches and players), by looking down into the G5 and FCS. We also can't abandon JUCOs and blue blood P4 transfers, since they are so convenient for us.

Reactions: bulldoghair

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not really, the guy is retirement age already, you might have him 5 more years if you're lucky and you're looking around again about the time you should be hitting your stride. I don't have a problem bypassing him.
Nope, many coaches are hitting their prime years from 55-70. That's a key advantage of getting a coach to stay for a while, you get them in the upper 50s, they are seasoned, wiser, and aren't looking to make another move.

You are ignorant like Salmon.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It does raise the question of how much of Leipold’s success should be attributed to Andy Kotelnicki, who was his OC for the last decade until he took the Penn State OC job before this year.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Curt Cignetti was our swing and miss.

Cignetti was my preferred choice as well. I think it freaked people out that he’s the same age as Leach and we weren’t a year removed from losing Leach.

Reactions: bulldoghair

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nope, many coaches are hitting their prime years from 55-70. That's a key advantage of getting a coach to stay for a while, you get them in the upper 50s, they are seasoned, wiser, and aren't looking to make another move.

You are ignorant like Salmon.

How many of these would you say are hitting their prime?

1728311058420.png

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How many of these would you say are hitting their prime?

I'm advocating for getting guys between 55-60, so you'll get a solid run of a decade out of them most likely, when they are at their wisest and most experienced. That's why I said 55-70 above. Sorry I didn't explain that to you in so much detail, I guess I expected you could draw that conclusion. That said, your list is wrong to begin with.

So first of all, M. Brown, Ferentz, J. Brown, Keeler, Whittingham, Poggi are all 65 and older, so they are out. Fritz is right on the line, but I'd have still given him a hard look simply because of his offense. Same with Cignetti obviously, for reasons already stated here.

Moving on, Kevin Wilson sucks and we'll see on Sam Pittman. The rest of those guys got their jobs when they were in their upper 50s, so while I wouldn't hire them now, they would have been decent hires a few years ago, depending on fit and other things. And you also want to look at trajectory. Some guys get jobs early and flame out.

I'm looking for the Malzahn types, specifically with niche offenses, for MSU.

Hey, you know another coach that got hired when he was 55? Nick L. Saban. Had a pretty good run I'd say. Would you hire (for many schools, not just MSU) Jeff Brohm? Mike Gundy? Ken Niumatololo? Hugh Freeze? Mark Stoops? Brent Venables? You really think these guys are over the hill?

But also, going specifically back to MSU, not many of those 40-year olds who are hot names will come here. You need a late 30s/early 40s seasoned coordinator (seasoned is the key word) who is a hard-asss and has that ambition/chip on the shoulder, or an older, wiser head coach who is a hard-asss and knows how shlt works, maybe even with a little baggage. I mean look at our best two coaches in the modern era - Kang and Danny -fit the mold to a T. Leach would have too had he lived.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I'm advocating for getting guys between 55-60, so you'll get a solid run of a decade out of them most likely, when they are at their wisest and most experienced. That's why I said 55-70 above. Sorry I didn't explain that to you in so much detail, I guess I expected you could draw that conclusion. That said, your list is wrong to begin with.

So first of all, M. Brown, Ferentz, J. Brown, Keeler, Whittingham, Poggi are all 65 and older, so they are out. Fritz is right on the line, but I'd have still given him a hard look simply because of his offense. Same with Cignetti obviously, for reasons already stated here.

Moving on, Kevin Wilson sucks and we'll see on Sam Pittman. The rest of those guys got their jobs when they were in their upper 50s, so while I wouldn't hire them now, they would have been decent hires a few years ago, depending on fit and other things. And you also want to look at trajectory. Some guys get jobs early and flame out.

I'm looking for the Malzahn types, specifically with niche offenses, for MSU.

Hey, you know another coach that got hired when he was 55? Nick L. Saban. Had a pretty good run I'd say. Would you hire (for many schools, not just MSU) Jeff Brohm? Mike Gundy? Ken Niumatololo? Hugh Freeze? Mark Stoops? Brent Venables? You really think these guys are over the hill?

But also, going specifically back to MSU, not many of those 40-year olds who are hot names will come here. You need a late 30s/early 40s seasoned coordinator (seasoned is the key word) who is a hard-asss and has that ambition/chip on the shoulder, or an older, wiser head coach who is a hard-asss and knows how shlt works, maybe even with a little baggage. I mean look at our best two coaches in the modern era - Kang and Danny -fit the mold to a T. Leach would have too had he lived.

What is your definition of "seasoned" ? The Hunchback was an under age 40 OC for 4 seasons with a generational talent at QB at a top 5 crooter all under a top 5 HC. He was NOTHING like the Kang and he absolutely learned on the job at MSU and failed many times while he also had some success.

Lebby has been an under age 40 OC for 3 different programs under 3 different head coaches both Power 5 and G5 and had top offenses at every one of them. How is his resume any worse than Danny 2 gloves at the time of their hires?

And not one person defined the hunchback as a "hard asss" prior to him BECOMING one at MSU. You have made your mind up that Selmon and Lebby are failures and holding them to a much different standard than Country Club Danny.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What is your definition of "seasoned" ? The Hunchback was an under age 40 OC for 4 seasons with a generational talent at QB at a top 5 crooter all under a top 5 HC. He was NOTHING like the Kang and he absolutely learned on the job at MSU and failed many times while he also had some success.

Lebby has been an under age 40 OC for 3 different programs under 3 different head coaches both Power 5 and G5 and had top offenses at every one of them. How is his resume any worse than Danny 2 gloves at the time of their hires?

And not one person defined the hunchback as a "hard asss" prior to him BECOMING one at MSU. You have made your mind up that Selmon and Lebby are failures and holding them to a much different standard than Country Club Danny.
Mullen had a couple more years (8 total, as OC/QB coach), with a 4-year run under Urban, and Urban hated to lose him.

Lebby had about 6, and widely said that Lebby didn't mesh well with Venable's hard style.

So yeah, Lebby was becoming a seasoned coordinator, but wasn't quite there yet. Plus, it's pretty obvious he's not very good at discipline.

I'm pretty sure that you can see these things while interviewing someone, and talking to people who know them.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Mullen had a couple more years (8 total, as OC/QB coach), with a 4-year run under Urban, and Urban hated to lose him.

Lebby had about 6, and widely said that Lebby didn't mesh well with Venable's hard style.

So yeah, Lebby was becoming a seasoned coordinator, but wasn't quite there yet. Plus, it's pretty obvious he's not very good at discipline.

I'm pretty sure that you can see these things while interviewing someone, and talking to people who know them.
Well, that says more about Venables than Lebby. His "hard style" has resulted in them being the 121st ranked offense in college football this season averaging less than 300 yards per game.

And how is it OBVIOUS that he isn't good at discipline? Because Gene hasn't told you about multiple players being suspended or kicked off the team? You of all people certainly don't know what's going on inside the Bryan building any more than the rest of us do.

Stop spouting your made up propaganda and the fact that you can't get over the fact that we don't have a lilly white AD.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, that says more about Venables than Lebby. His "hard style" has resulted in them being the 121st ranked offense in college football this season averaging less than 300 yards per game.
Lebby was a decent coordinator. Moorhead was too. But can he run a program?

And how is it OBVIOUS that he isn't good at discipline? Because Gene hasn't told you about multiple players being suspended or kicked off the team? You of all people certainly don't know what's going on inside the Bryan building any more than the rest of us do.
It's obvious that I know more than you, and obvious to anyone here who actually knows anything.

Stop spouting your made up propaganda and the fact that you can't get over the fact that we don't have a lilly white AD.
This is how I know you're an idiot. I mean, El Oh El, the race card, hahahaha.

Salmon was fine for a while. I actually am glad he didn't fire Lemonis in 2023, like so many wanted. And he fired Arnett, which was obvious. I don't even completely blame him for &tate, that's pushed by Keenum. But hiring Lebbro and then all the BS that's gone on since then? That's all I'll say about that. And now Jans isn't happy.

But yep, it's his race. Moron.

• Haha
Reactions: RockyDog

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Curt Cignetti was our swing and miss.

Indeed. My works with his daughter. I think they would have loved being closer. He will be at a much bigger program soon if he keeps it up at Indiana.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Program builder

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013

Lebby has been an under age 40 OC for 3 different programs under 3 different head coaches both Power 5 and G5 and had top offenses at every one of them. How is his resume any worse than Danny 2 gloves at the time of their hire?
Who is the generational talent you’re talking about? Chris Relf? Mullen has and had a tremendous tract record for developing QB’s before he came to State. He was the quarterback coach at Bowling Green and developed Josh Harris, at Utah and developed Alex Smith, at Florida. The offense was innovative and cofounded with Urban Meyer. He is just as responsible for that offense as was Leach with confounding his with Hal Mumme. On the contrary and compared, Lebby was OC at Baylor where it was really his father n laws offense and his father n law was the real quarterback coach. At UCF it was really Josh Heupel’s offense and obviously Heupel was the real QB coach. Same at Ole Miss where it was really Kiffin’s offense and the real QB coach. At Oklahoma he had the generational talent at QB you speak of. Look how good he’s doing at Oregon.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Who is the generational talent you’re talking about? Chris Relf? Mullen has and had a tremendous tract record for developing QB’s before he came to State. He was the quarterback coach at Bowling Green and developed Josh Harris, at Utah and developed Alex Smith, at Florida. The offense was innovative and cofounded with Urban Meyer. He is just as responsible for that offense as was Leach with confounding his with Hal Mumme. On the contrary and compared, Lebby was OC at Baylor where it was really his father n laws offense and his father n law was the real quarterback coach. At UCF it was really Josh Heupel’s offense and obviously Heupel was the real QB coach. Same at Ole Miss where it was really Kiffin’s offense and the real QB coach. At Oklahoma he had the generational talent at QB you speak of. Look how good he’s doing at Oregon.
Generational talent at UF. Tebow.

He was spouting off about how Dan was a seasoned coordinator, intimating that Lebby was not.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Lebby was a decent coordinator. Moorhead was too. But can he run a program?

It's obvious that I know more than you, and obvious to anyone here who actually knows anything.

This is how I know you're an idiot. I mean, El Oh El, the race card, hahahaha.

Salmon was fine for a while. I actually am glad he didn't fire Lemonis in 2023, like so many wanted. And he fired Arnett, which was obvious. I don't even completely blame him for &tate, that's pushed by Keenum. But hiring Lebbro and then all the BS that's gone on since then? That's all I'll say about that. And now Jans isn't happy.

But yep, it's his race. Moron.
You are a LOSER and all of that is BS. You don't know CHIT

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Indeed. My works with his daughter. I think they would have loved being closer. He will be at a much bigger program soon if he keeps it up at Indiana.
They have beaten the piss out of everyone they’ve played and have a realistic path to 10 or 11 wins. Outside of Ohio State on the road they may be favored in every other game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login