Boy, Georgia lost but

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
That was some big boy coaching by Kirby. I was salivating over the in-game adjustments UGA made. It took downright brilliant coaching to get them back in that game, much less to take the lead.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Holy crap. I fell asleep when they were down big.
Yeah, crazy. Loss is still a loss. But, dang, that was epic coaching. UGA was 100% dead in the water in the 2nd quarter.

Also can’t recall when I’ve seen a QB make such a big in-game turnaround. Beck was trash in the first half. Totally turned it on in the 2nd. Think they were 5/5 on 4th downs.

Swifty

Jan 21, 2022
I think that game shows two things.
1 - How good Kirby & Co. are at keeping their composure to figure out what's going wrong to fix it.
2 - I don't think this fares well for Deboer moving forward. They were able to hide their fancy stuff the first 1/4 of the season. They may have used up all their tricks in the first half last night because I've never seen a Kirby coached team look that unprepared and once the adjustments were made, the game flipped. It worked last night, but we'll see how much they have up their sleeve.

As unprepared as UGA looked at the beginning, holy crap did they flip it over once they figured something out on both sides.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think that game shows two things.
1 - How good Kirby & Co. are at keeping their composure to figure out what's going wrong to fix it.
2 - I don't think this fares well for Deboer moving forward. They were able to hide their fancy stuff the first 1/4 of the season. They may have used up all their tricks in the first half last night because I've never seen a Kirby coached team look that unprepared and once the adjustments were made, the game flipped. It worked last night, but we'll see how much they have up their sleeve.

As unprepared as UGA looked at the beginning, holy crap did they flip it over once they figured something out on both sides.

I actually thought Kirby outcoached Deboer overall. I dream of being able to make adjustments like Kirby did.

Mar 24, 2022
I actually thought Kirby outcoached Deboer overall. I dream of being able to make adjustments like Kirby did.
I have to say I totally disagree.Coaching also involves pre game and obviously Alabama was far and away the more ready team.Yes Kirby did a good job of in game adjustments.I happen to think DeBoer is the more knowledgeable coach and if he continues to recruit at a high level they’ll be a tough team to beat in the coming years.

LonghornsGamecocks

Feb 24, 2024
2 - I don't think this fares well for Deboer moving forward.
Kirby is the best coach in the game today, but DeBoer has done nothing but prove himself everywhere he's been (108-12 record as a head coach through the UGA game). I'll be surprised if he doesn't continue to prove it for years to come.

Reactions: Irvin Snibbley

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I have to say I totally disagree.Coaching also involves pre game and obviously Alabama was far and away the more ready team.Yes Kirby did a good job of in game adjustments.I happen to think DeBoer is the more knowledgeable coach and if he continues to recruit at a high level they’ll be a tough team to beat in the coming years.
UGA had absolutely zero business being in position to have a shot at winning that game. None whatsoever. They say where coaches earn their paychecks is in-game adjustments. In football every game kind of stands on its own. You can plan and prepare as much as you want, but you just never know what the other team’s gameplan is really gonna be. Obviously, Deboer guessed right up front and had an absolutely perfect game plan coming into the game and socked Georgia right in the mouth. Kirby masterfully adjusted to it and pretty much shut them down from the midway point of the second quarter. Alabama didn’t do so well at the in-game adjustments. Not nearly as well. But they made one more than Georgia did. They won the game fair and square no question.

But simply as an appreciation for coaching, what Kirby did was masterful. With the game on the line basically every single play for over one half of football, he pushed the right button basically every single time.

It was a showdown of coaching Titans for sure. I’ve just always been fascinated with the chess match of in-game adjustments.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Surfcock

Jul 24, 2022
As much as Kirby is getting the praise, Bobo, QB and OL coaches put UGA back in the game. Beck could hit anyone and the OL looked like a broken damn of running water.

Those guys calmed Beck down and made the blocking adjustments to put them back in the game.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
Bama almost played too much prevent. They even played prevent offense. They were fortunate.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login