BREAKING: Will Rogers to Washington

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"I don't think Will has a club in his bag to make a lot of these throws and scrambles."

One of the strange things about Rogers to me is that he didn't seem to respond to a college training program the way most kids do. His physical abilities were just about the same when he left as when he got here.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You should write a letter to Kalen DeBoer and tell him that. He apparently needs your guidance.
It wouldn’t be the first time a coach made a mistake in recruiting. If you don’t ask him to do things he’s not good at, he can be a decent QB. But he’s not the QB to take Washington back to the playoffs.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I watched a lot of Washington football this year. They threw a ton of intermediate to deep passes outside the numbers. Penix has a good arm and can throw those 35-50 air yard passes on a line. He's also really mobile in the pocket and creates big passing plays with his legs.

Will unfortunately cannot do that. I'm guessing Deboer will play to Will's strengths and tweak the offense to incorporate more short to intermediate stuff that takes advantage of Will's timing, accuracy, and anticipation. If he does it successfully, it will be another needle in the eye of hiring Barbay who was supposed to mold an offense around Will and failed miserably.

ETA. Here's Penix highlights from this year... Much like when @mcdawg22 needs to carry a 230 yard water hazard in the fairway, I don't think Will has a club in his bag to make a lot of these throws and scrambles.

Yeah, when I say that I wish Will the best, it comes from a genuine spot in my heart. That said, I simply cannot believe that a CFP caliber program will be losing a Heisman-level talent at QB, and they think that Will Rogers is the necessary replacement to lead them to the promised land in '24. He's a backup plan at best, and if he actually does end up starting the season for Washington next year, color me completely shocked

Reactions: Anon1693713393

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
"I don't think Will has a club in his bag to make a lot of these throws and scrambles."

One of the strange things about Rogers to me is that he didn't seem to respond to a college training program the way most kids do. His physical abilities were just about the same when he left as when he got here.
That’s true. I’ve worked out all of my life and I’m kind of amazed Will can’t put on muscle and lower his body fat with a sec training program.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I am a huge fan of Will but I will admit of all the available QBs in the portal I would not have picked him unless I had already been turned down by at least 10 others. But all you geniuses said he could not play. Yet he started here 3 years winning a lot of games. Now he has been pursued by a CFP team coach which y'all laughed at and said they didn't want him. Said USM or WK and yet apparently they are paying him to come play. I seriously doubt any of you can throw a football across the field much less start on a SEC team and CFP contender. Let's wait and see if he proves you wrong yet again. Nobody posting on this board knows a tenth of what his new coach does about football. Or Will either. If you did you wouldn't be posting about football here

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I am a huge fan of Will but I will admit of all the available QBs in the portal I would not have picked him unless I had already been turned down by at least 10 others. But all you geniuses said he could not play. Yet he started here 3 years winning a lot of games. Now he has been pursued by a CFP team coach which y'all laughed at and said they didn't want him. Said USM or WK and yet apparently they are paying him to come play. I seriously doubt any of you can throw a football across the field much less start on a SEC team and CFP contender. Let's wait and see if he proves you wrong yet again. Nobody posting on this board knows a tenth of what his new coach does about football. Or Will either. If you did you wouldn't be posting about football here
No matter what you post the self proclaimed QB gurus on here will continue to bash Rogers because they were wrong when he got injured. They were sure his back up QBs would revive State football because Will was "holding us back". Since they were proven wrong and he entered the portal they have ratcheted the rhetoric up. Any player leaving is treated to a healthy serving of sour grapes from these folks.

Let's just wait until he is successful at Washington (far cry from W Kentucky).

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
No matter what you post the self proclaimed QB gurus on here will continue to bash Rogers because they were wrong when he got injured. They were sure his back up QBs would revive State football because Will was "holding us back". Since they were proven wrong and he entered the portal they have ratcheted the rhetoric up. Any player leaving is treated to a healthy serving of sour grapes from these folks.

Let's just wait until he is successful at Washington (far cry from W Kentucky).
I don’t remember many people thinking we had a QB that was “better” than Will. The problem was that we had no other options and Will was a disaster. That’s on Leach, who ran off other QBs we could have used. Plenty of people wanted to try something new just to see, which wasn’t unreasonable.

I’m glad he’s gone simply because he’s the most polarizing player I’ve ever seen here. Sure, some people turned on Fitz, but those people are idiots. Fitz was never intended to be a passer, but Will was…. And when he didn’t have his dink and dunk system, he was awful.

I was chatting with some buddies earlier…. This is like a break up that both sides knew had to happen. But, instead of a heartfelt “I wish you the best”, it’s more of a “Good luck to you”.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I don’t remember many people thinking we had a QB that was “better” than Will. The problem was that we had no other options and Will was a disaster. That’s on Leach, who ran off other QBs we could have used. Plenty of people wanted to try something new just to see, which wasn’t unreasonable.

I’m glad he’s gone simply because he’s the most polarizing player I’ve ever seen here. Sure, some people turned on Fitz, but those people are idiots. Fitz was never intended to be a passer, but Will was…. And when he didn’t have his dink and dunk system, he was awful.

I was chatting with some buddies earlier…. This is like a break up that both sides knew had to happen. But, instead of a heartfelt “I wish you the best”, it’s more of a “Good luck to you”.
Leach ran off Sawyer, Locke and Parson ? I think you mean Arnett

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

You mean you "forgot" all the cries for Mike Wright because he had running ability? Wow, they campaigned on here for 3 or 4 weeks for him to start over Will. Don't know if you were one of them but it was rampant until he got hurt.

Will was polarizing? What comments did he make to polarize the fanbase?

I rest my case about "dink and dunk" fans.

Bottom line, it wasn't the QB position that sucked this season. It was the terrible coaching. How many passes did Will or Mike make to receivers that ran the wrong route? How often were they flushed from the pocket or sacked. Did you notice this got worse as the season progressed?

I won't get into the defense because this would be a very lengthy post. Bottom line, fans like to blame the QB for losses. It is sad that fans are this myopic. It was obvious that Arnett needed to go after the LSU game. Our running game floundered and folks blame Will.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login