Brian Hadad - former poster on SixPackSpeak basically confirms it…

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
So much for the nationwide search and pulling a sitting head coach. State doing State shite.
south park mob GIF

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
So much for the nationwide search and pulling a sitting head coach. State doing State shite.
Agreed. Maybe we are try ing to get a head start on high school and portal recruiting. But, I’m from Missouri if this is the way we are going.

Reactions: PCHSDawg

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
I'm calling it now, some booster from TSUN is going to find someone to release information on him within weeks of his hire showing how bad he was involved in the scandal at Baylor. I hope I'm wrong but I think this lazy a$$ hire on Selmon's part and why did we waste money on a "national firm" for him to hire who he already knew?

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
I'm calling it now, some booster from TSUN is going to find someone to release information on him within weeks of his hire showing how bad he was involved in the scandal at Baylor. I hope I'm wrong but I think this lazy a$$ hire on Selmon's part and why did we waste money on a "national firm" for him to hire who he already knew?
He coached at OM. They would be putting a target on themselves too

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Ole Miss hired him as OC under Kiffin so they can't say anything.

Said it in another thread and will repeat it here. There was all kinds of handwringing when Auburn hired Freeze. Now ... crickets.

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020

This narrative is getting old. Big bad ole miss is going to get us. We need to stop giving them so much credit.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The worst part about a potential Lebby hire to me is that we had almost zero options for a replacement in mid-December 2022 after Leach’s tragic death. But, he was someone we could have gotten….even way back then under those trying circumstances.

If we’d hire him now, what the hell even was the point of the past 12 months of the Arnett experiment? Lebby was far more qualified than Arnett, we could already be a year in by now.

I guess maybe that’s water under the bridge now, but I don’t see how all the big boosters and Keenum suddenly are OK with this level of risk now when they weren’t just a year ago. And make no mistake, its all of their final decision on this, not Selmon’s.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
The worst part about a potential Lebby hire to me is that we had almost zero options for a replacement in mid-December 2022 after Leach’s tragic death. But, he was someone we could have gotten….even way back then under those trying circumstances.

If we’d hire him now, what the hell even was the point of the past 12 months of the Arnett experiment? Lebby was far more qualified than Arnett, we could already be a year in by now.

I guess maybe that’s water under the bridge now, but I don’t see how all the big boosters and Keenum suddenly are OK with this level of risk now when they weren’t just a year ago. And make no mistake, its all of their final decision on this, not Selmon’s.
This is just not true, Selmon is running this himself he's putting his future on the line with this hire, there were candidates that big boosters were wanting an to have a interview and he didn't even give them the time of day.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is just not true, Selmon is running this himself he's putting his future on the line with this hire, there were candidates that big boosters were wanting an to have a interview and he didn't even give them the time of day.
BS. You have no idea how a coaching search works if you think the guys paying buyouts if it goes south don’t have a say in the hire.

He’d be putting his future on the line for real if he did as you said. As in, he’d be gone before the new coach was even hired….much like UT’s AD was a few years ago when they kept whiffing on candidates.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

We had no AD. Our coach had died. No playbook for that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
How do you know we didn’t do a nationwide search and at the end we were still stuck on Lebby?
Are you kidding? You think we did a legitimate nationwide search & the best candidate just happened to be a career assistant with no head coaching experience who just happens to coach at the school our do nothing AD came from? Hell of a coincidence.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
If this is the case, is this not Selmon going to the easiest place for him to go for a new AD to hire a football coach?

We are a school not known for football excellence and he is going to Oklahoma where he’s a legacy and hiring an easy hire for him that maybe be beneficial for both involved in 5-7 years.
Just seems lazy as always for MSU.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t think hiring a head football coach is as easy as you think it is.
Who said it was easy?

1) Our coach died.
2) We hired a coordinator to take over, largely because we had zero chance at any sitting HC, because the carousel had already stopped. I get this.
3) There were other, different coordinators with more experience and qualifications that we could have hired. Lebby would have been one of them. But the implication was that we didn’t want a coordinator at all, but had no choice….so we just rolled the dice on Arnett because of keeping some continuity on defense.

Do you really think we couldn’t have hired him last year? You think Bracky / Keenum couldn’t have reached out to him (and maybe a handful of other guys with similar credentials). His resume isn’t really any different now than it was then.

Again, I’m not saying its a bad hire. It just heightens the frustration from last December if we’re just content getting a coordinator even now. In no way is any of that Lebby’s fault.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Are you kidding? You think we did a legitimate nationwide search & the best candidate just happened to be a career assistant with no head coaching experience who just happens to coach at the school our do nothing AD came from? Hell of a coincidence.
I think we definitely reached out and interviewed people around the country.
And Lebby was getting a p5 job sooner than later. You call him a lifelong assistant like he is 65 years old

patdog

May 28, 2007
If this is the case, is this not Selmon going to the easiest place for him to go for a new AD to hire a football coach?

We are a school not known for football excellence and he is going to Oklahoma where he’s a legacy and hiring an easy hire for him that maybe be beneficial for both involved in 5-7 years.
Just seems lazy as always for MSU.
Selmon has been a huge disappointment. Keenum made the same mistake hiring an AD he made hiring a football coach last year. Went young, inexperienced & cheap and got someone in over his head.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Who said it was easy?

1) Our coach died.
2) We hired a coordinator to take over, largely because we had zero chance at any sitting HC, because the carousel had already stopped. I get this.
3) There were other, different coordinators with more experience and qualifications that we could have hired. Lebby would have been one of them. But the implication was that we didn’t want a coordinator at all, but had no choice….so we just rolled the dice on Arnett because of keeping some continuity on defense.

Do you really think we couldn’t have hired him last year? You think Bracky / Keenum couldn’t have reached out to him (and maybe a handful of other guys with similar credentials). His resume isn’t really any different now than it was then.

Again, I’m not saying its a bad hire. It just heightens the frustration from last December if we’re just content getting a coordinator even now. In no way is any of that Lebby’s fault.
Ummm #2 & #3 we aren't being a sitting head coach or someone with head coaching experience? Also there were other coordinators and names mentioned who had more experience or even head coaching experience? Thank you for reinforcement of my points that he made the lazy hire and just did what he wanted.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think we definitely reached out and interviewed people around the country.
And Lebby was getting a p5 job sooner than later. You call him a lifelong assistant like he is 65 years old
I agree with this. I think unfortunately a big part of it is that our job isn’t very desirable right now. We’re looking at a big time down year in 2024, NIL and recruiting are bottom 2 or 3 in the 16-team SEC, our 4-year starter QB just hopped in the portal, etc. Getting a sitting HC with some clout was always going to be a near impossible task.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Selmon has been a huge disappointment. Keenum made the same mistake hiring an AD he made hiring a football coach last year. Went young, inexperienced & cheap and got someone in over his head.
This is 100% true the athletic department is not a friendly place right now and that is from staff there. He also doesn't get how to connect with people and how important it is. I've experienced this first hand.

Reactions: patdog

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I’m excited as hell about it. The man has had a top offense everywhere he has been. Get a good staff around him and let’s ride.
Agree. I don't see what all the poo pooing is about? We hired a coordinator from an iconic school with good offenses similar to what we did with Mullen when he was at FL. Wasn't he the most successful coach we ever had? Yeah Moorhead was a dud so they all don't work out but neither does hiring a mediocre sitting HC which is all we would have been able to get. I wanted Chadwell and the Kansas HC's too but they didn't want us.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ummm #2 & #3 we aren't being a sitting head coach or someone with head coaching experience? Also there were other coordinators and names mentioned who had more experience or even head coaching experience? Thank you for reinforcement of my points that he made the lazy hire and just did what he wanted.
2 and 3 are both referring to Keenum, Bracky, and the boosters last year. Selmon wasn’t even here when all that happened.

The whole point is that Selmon leads the search, but he’s far from the only voice that makes the final call. There are about 6-8 people who have full veto power on just about any candidate. Selmon and Keenum are just 2 of them. A lot of people have to be on board with any head coaching hire in the SEC. Not just one.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Do you think Lebby was the only candidate Selmon interviewed? It sounds like you do. But several reports have said otherwise.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login