Brisket Theory

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Can’t find it anywhere. Knowing a couple, I’m thinking too many cattle farmers been getting too into watching Yellowstone. Now they’re too busy playing cowboy instead of moving weight (beef).

That being said, I’ve resorted to smoking a picanha tomorrow for first time. Any recs?

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
Price of cattle to the farmer is worse than trees. Rather keep 'em on grass and hope it gets better. Oh and all the food processing plants burning ***

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Can’t find it anywhere. Knowing a couple, I’m thinking too many cattle farmers been getting too into watching Yellowstone. Now they’re too busy playing cowboy instead of moving weight (beef).

That being said, I’ve resorted to smoking a picanha tomorrow for first time. Any recs?
Score the fat cap 45° angle on both sides where it makes a Diamond pattern. Season it with your favorite steak rub. Cook at 275° fat side down until internal temp is 125° rest for 15 mintutes. Slice and serve.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
Kroger in Starkville has no less than 50 briskets right now on sale for $2.50/pound.

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
I saw somewhere that ranchers are sending more cows to the slaughterhouse bc the cost to feed them is too high, causing a temporary drop in price. Emphasis on temporary

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I have no problems finding briquettes, your an dumass.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Ranchers don’t control the price of cattle. Farmers and ranchers are price takers, not price makers.

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
Ranchers don’t control the price of cattle. Farmers and ranchers are price takers, not price makers.

But when ranchers decide to sell a bunch of their cattle all at once (bc feed is too expensive), the price goes down bc there's in an influx of supply without change in demand.

Farmers and ranchers don't set the price, but as a whole, they control the supply which effects price.

For example, if 90% of cattle farmers decided to stop raising cattle and plant corn instead, the price of corn would plummet and the price of beef would skyrocket even though farmers are price takers, not price makers.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

You're going to want to treat that picanha more like a steak than a brisket.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
But when ranchers decide to sell a bunch of their cattle all at once (bc feed is too expensive), the price goes down bc there's in an influx of supply without change in demand.

Farmers and ranchers don't set the price, but as a whole, they control the supply which effects price.

For example, if 90% of cattle farmers decided to stop raising cattle and plant corn instead, the price of corn would plummet and the price of beef would skyrocket even though farmers are price takers, not price makers.

The game theory ranchers have to play is pretty interesting. If everybody gets scared by the price of feed and culls stock, then they all sell for lower and then have much higher prices later own. If they all decide to roll the dice and pay the high feedstock, they'll be enough supply that they can't get high enough prices to offset the higher costs. Really have to zig when everybody zags. I guess that's not much different than most commodities, just seems different because growing is different than mining/drilling/whatever.

Not exactly the same game as farmers, but I remember being young and talking with a farmer and the farmer talking about weather being great and everybody having bumper crops and I said something about that being good and he pointed out that it really wasn't because basically everybody that they compete with was having a productive year, so they were all going to sell into dirt cheap prices. Said you only have a really good year when you have a big crop while supply is generally down, usually because of bad weather or whatever in another area that supplies to the same market as you. Similarly the devastating years are when you have a bad crop but supply is generally up. Then he said, just kidding, I'm getting a mid range seven figure check from the government regardless, they're all good years, suckers.

I may have made part of that conversation up, but I assume he was at least thinking it, although I didn't know it at the time.

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
That's like cutting your legs off so they can sew two others on. No farmer is dumb enough to swap to a crop or livestock when he knows the price will be going down when he swaps over.

Desoto is co-reck......we can only take what the market will pay, regardless of the cost to produce.

The reason we're holding calves and cows right now is because there's been good rain and grass. We can afford to watch the market without having to pump a bunch of high-price feed in them to keep them alive. If a drought hits the southeast you'll see more cows in the market. That's the reason you're seeing more cattle hit the southwest and mid-west market right now. They've got drought conditions and limited grass. The bottleneck has been the processors. They've been able to make the farmers/ranchers/feedlots hold cattle by not processing up to capacity. Labor has been an issue for them too.

But just to address what you said, a farmer/rancher cannot just hold livestock unless he can do so at a minimum cost. It is just that simple.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022

So far a beautifully predictable piece of meat. Given the sharp contrast from end to end, should be very easy to cook medium rare to medium well within the same cut (cooking for 5). Almost too good to be true. I’m afraid it will be disappointing

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
So far a beautifully predictable piece of meat. Given the sharp contrast from end to end, should be very easy to cook medium rare to medium well within the same cut (cooking for 5). Almost too good to be true. I’m afraid it will be disappointing

Nah man, proudly roll that prized piece of beef out to your guests, let em think it's gonna be the best meal of their lives. Confidence is always the secret ingredient; nobody wants a chef who pussyfoots around.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I have some cattle, not a lot and certainly not enough to impact market price. But most cattle farmers I know sell their cows when they are ready. Generally, if you’re raising cattle to be turned into quality meat, there is a point you want to go ahead and slaughter the cow, regardless of price. Now I’m not saying farmers don’t tend to try to slaughter when prices are advantageous but I think in general it’s just when the cow hits a certain age range

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login