Bruce Feldman says changes are coming

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Assume for a moment that Leach is still head coach - our offense just finished 9th in scoring and 11th in yardage (in SEC games only). You could say overall our offense was in the bottom 3rd of the league.

Would we be satisfied with that and happy for the entire offensive coaching staff to return?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Some of y'all have forgotten what a coaching change entails. There would have probably been some turnover even if Leach was still with us, and he had less than most head coaches did. There will ALWAYS be turnover with a new head man, even if it is a promotion from within. This is to be expected and dealt with. As you all know, I wasn't a fan of the pure air raid even with the master running it. I certainly don't want us to run it without Leach. I think yesterday's offensive output kind is backs me up on that. Football has moved on. We have to too.
Agree completely. Everyone's overreacting to this. There's nothing Feldman or anyone else is reporting that I haven't assumed would happen from the day Leach passed away. I hope Arnett will hire a coach who will keep some of the Air Raid concepts, but I'm looking forward to some needed changes to the offense.

Reactions: msstatelp1

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Let’s see, we beat a aTm team in total disarray, we beat an Arkansas team without their hoss of a QB, we barely beat the worst Auburn team I have ever seen with an interim coach in way over his head, and we needed last second defensive heroics to beat an overrated Ole Miss team we should have beaten by 3 scores due to the way that Defense played the whole game.

9 wins is great but let’s not pretend the Miss State version of the air raid has been anywhere near the world beater some of y’all are portraying it to be.
hey arnold nicksplat GIF

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Yes, continuity in this situation is the most logical thing to do. I don’t see the Reasoning here.
You don’t want to see the reasoning here.

Changes are coming. They always do. And based on the struggles MSU experienced at times on offense, change was inevitable.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Can someone name something Thackery did except collect a damn paycheck? Good riddance to her and I’m glad we brought Brad back
Given that it is doubtful that anyone here is around the program day-to-day, you won’t get an answer to your question.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Agree completely. Everyone's overreacting to this. There's nothing Feldman or anyone else is reporting that I haven't assumed would happen from the day Leach passed away. I hope Arnett will hire a coach who will keep some of the Air Raid concepts, but I'm looking forward to some needed changes to the offense.
Right. Why would Arnett hire an OC and not change the offensive staff? This staff was good (in my opinion) but they coached the Mike Leach air raid. We had 2 WR coaches. It's not exactly a conventional staff.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Nothing towards you but isn’t that like claiming water is wet?
True. I thought it was significant to hear a lot of offensive changes were expected and figured it meant we would hear what they were soon and we could talk about them instead of just guessing.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Assume for a moment that Leach is still head coach - our offense just finished 9th in scoring and 11th in yardage (in SEC games only). You could say overall our offense was in the bottom 3rd of the league.

Would we be satisfied with that and happy for the entire offensive coaching staff to return?

In that hypothetical scenario, I wouldn’t say we’d be “happy” with it, but we’d be content with bringing back the offensive staff only because it would be a byproduct of our head coach, and we all knew there would have been no substantial changes on offense without a change at head coach.

The reality - outside of 2014/2015 with Dak, about 8th or 9th in the SEC is as good as its ever been for us on offense, unfortunately. We need to recruit at a much higher level on offense than we have historically in order to change that, no matter what system we choose going forward.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Said a lot more than you did, my dude. Why don’t you state what your beef is with someone who was a glorified secretary / personal assistant for the head coach for recruiting? Because with all the upheaval in our program over the past month, that’s a really strange hill you’ve decided to die on.
My gripe…my dude is paying someone 155k to do what? Next to nothing. Could have used those funds elsewhere

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Guys calm down. I'd be willing to bet a months pay Arnett isn't checking our message boards for advice on coaching hires. If he is who everyone says he is, he'll make a well thought out hire for every position need. I'd also think he knows who his OC is going to be.
Get another cup of coffee and enjoy.
👆👆👆Doesn’t understand how message board football gurus operate.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I’d just like to see the offense get closer to what TN is doing rather than what Arkansas is doing. Emphasis on passing more than running but not totally abandoning the running like Leach appeared to do most of the time. I don’t think Briles is going to do that based upon my limited view of him at Arkansas. Perhaps our QB room would change his approach. When I look at some of the best offenses out there they aren’t pounding the rock with a big dumdum QB. We’ve done that at times but it didn’t really net something better than what Mike Leach accomplished here.

Reactions: mo7888

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
All the pieces aren't in place though. Arnett and spurrier aren't leach.
Some of y'all are acting like he is still here but he's not.
Expecting same results would be unfair to Arnett.
If you make spurrier permanent OC.
What is is garuntee that things would stay the same level of building because leach isn't here doing things like he would have. Expecting things to just stay exactly the same is naive and emotional.

No he isn't here. But the system is. The players for it. There are coaches for this system that we could throw money at.

We didn't.

Instead, we went all in to the tune of 2 million and complete control of the offense to a totally different style of an OC. And we did it that after Arnett letbit be known that we were keeping the system.

That, imo, is a bad start. You told the incoming class we are keeping the system. You told the team we were.

Now we have 1 scholarship Qb.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We could have kept all of these guys and still had a major change because we lost Leach. He was our OC, and we were always going to have a new one, so things were going to be different regardless.

It’s Arnett’s team now. You can’t force the guy to be a carbon copy of Leach.

Nobody suggests that. But he is changing the offense from what we built it to be in concept. Should Briles come(and he isnt) it's nothing remotely close or in the same neighborhood as an air raid system.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
No he isn't here. But the system is. The players for it. There are coaches for this system that we could throw money at.

We didn't.

Instead, we went all in to the tune of 2 million and complete control of the offense to a totally different style of an OC. And we did it that after Arnett letbit be known that we were keeping the system.

That, imo, is a bad start. You told the incoming class we are keeping the system. You told the team we were.

Now we have 1 scholarship Qb.
The leach air raid died with him. It was old antiquated and predictable. Our administration and program has made it clear we will keep air raid concepts but we will be more balanced on offense because that's when we have been our best this season. We went full on air raid and got away from running game we sucked on offense and I'm sure arnett got sick of it. He knows what is hard to defend. So what happened to supporting the coaches huh? Or is that only for your boys.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Nobody suggests that. But he is changing the offense from what we built it to be in concept. Should Briles come(and he isnt) it's nothing remotely close or in the same neighborhood as an air raid system.
If Briles isn't coming what are you worried about? It's not like he is talking to Billy gonzales or Brian Johnson to come be the OC and go back to being spread run.

you must have never watched Baylor when Briles was there

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
The leach air raid died with him. It was old antiquated and predictable. Our administration and program has made it clear we will keep air raid concepts but we will be more balanced on offense because that's when we have been our best this season. We went full on air raid and got away from running game we sucked on offense and I'm sure arnett got sick of it. He knows what is hard to defend. So what happened to supporting the coaches huh? Or is that only for your boys.

You can bring up "Leach" air raid all you want. But you are arguing with yourself and your own words. I never stated and have never suggested anything about "Leach" air raid.

I said what was told to recruits and players. We would continue with an ar offense. There are many OCs that run an AR and Briles isn't one of them.

Now we have 1 scholarship Qb and the room is thin.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If Briles isn't coming what are you worried about? It's not like he is talking to Billy gonzales or Brian Johnson to come be the OC and go back to being spread run.

you must have never watched Baylor when Briles was there
The effect of signaling we will no longer be an ar offense and the thinking out of our WR room and the retooling time to change over.

Yes I know all about Baylor. I also know that Kendal Kendal has never stayed anywhere long enough to prove himself in the long game of recruiting. The best picture we have of that is Ark and it's a damn dumpster fire.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You can bring up "Leach" air raid all you want. But you are arguing with yourself and your own words. I never stated and have never suggested anything about "Leach" air raid.

I said what was told to recruits and players. We would continue with an ar offense. There are many OCs that run an AR and Briles isn't one of them.

Now we have 1 scholarship Qb and the room is thin.
That will remedy itself once the OC is on staff. We were going to lose qbs anyway even if we get an air raid OC. They weren't gonna sit behind will another two years.

will hasn't entered the portal yet. What does that tell you? It's back ups.

if will enters the portal then you know it's someone he doesn't like and they are bringing a qb with them.

who is your pick for OC. Let's hear those experienced air raid play callers that we can get.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The effect of signaling we will no longer be an ar offense and the thinking out of our WR room and the retooling time to change over.

Yes I know all about Baylor. I also know that Kendal Kendal has never stayed anywhere long enough to prove himself in the long game of recruiting. The best picture we have of that is Ark and it's a damn dumpster fire.
Dumpster fire? Haha they were ahead of us in offense this year.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
I think this mentality is what's 'old and antiquated. As far as the air raid goes it was already evolving. It was adding a QB that could use his his feet and had a stronger arm to stretch the field vertically. ML didn't have that option with Will, but he was recruiting for it. If you look back at how he called the LSU game with Costello you can see how it looked with a stronger arm throwing downfield more. Costello had his own issues for sure but the play calling was different when ML had that arm strength back there.

As for the future, we could go back to what many fans want to rely on and be run centric. This isn't a bad plan and we'll average about 7 wins and never make the seccg. We can stay air raid and add the type of QB ML was trying to get that has a stronger arm but can also take advantage with his feet when the D is properly spread. I believe this scheme gives us a chance to compete in the West and a run centric game will not.

Briles- I may be totally wrong but, I think his scheme here(if he's the guy) will be closer to the air raid I described than what he runs at Arkansas. Many here think he wants to bring KJ with him but, (hot take) I think he wants to get away from him. He inherited him in year one and he's good enough in a run centric scheme but he limits Briles playbook.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think this mentality is what's 'old and antiquated. As far as the air raid goes it was already evolving. It was adding a QB that could use his his feet and had a stronger arm to stretch the field vertically. ML didn't have that option with Will, but he was recruiting for it. If you look back at how he called the LSU game with Costello you can see how it looked with a stronger arm throwing downfield more. Costello had his own issues for sure but the play calling was different when ML had that arm strength back there.

As for the future, we could go back to what many fans want to rely on and be run centric. This isn't a bad plan and we'll average about 7 wins and never make the seccg. We can stay air raid and add the type of QB ML was trying to get that has a stronger arm but can also take advantage with his feet when the D is properly spread. I believe this scheme gives us a chance to compete in the West and a run centric game will not.

Briles- I may be totally wrong but, I think his scheme here(if he's the guy) will be closer to the air raid I described than what he runs at Arkansas. Many here think he wants to bring KJ with him but, (hot take) I think he wants to get away from him. He inherited him in year one and he's good enough in a run centric scheme but he limits Briles playbook.
I do somewhat agree with you on Briles but I think he wants RG3. Maybe not a bruising qb. Looking at the guys under Jefferson. I think he wants to run the Baylor offense. Which I think would really work for us.

Reactions: drumrcraig

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Dumpster fire? Haha they were ahead of us in offense this year.
To be fair they did ok but they are deficient in the pass game and that’s just as much a problem for them as State’s lack of concerted run attempts. Either way you could end up in relatively the same place and we don’t even have the players to run the Briles offense right now. Rocket Sanders is far better than our RBs, Will isn’t built for that system, and Parson is less than green. It’s not a step forward.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
I do somewhat agree with you on Briles but I think he wants RG3. Maybe not a bruising qb. Looking at the guys under Jefferson. I think he wants to run the Baylor offense. Which I think would really work for us.
I think that's pretty close too... and I do think that works for us and gives us a higher ceiling than a Mullen type offense and a similar floor.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
To be fair they did ok but they are deficient in the pass game and that’s just as much a problem for them as State’s lack of concerted run attempts. Either way you could end up in relatively the same place and we don’t even have the players to run the Briles offense right now. Rocket Sanders is far better than our RBs, Will isn’t built for that system, and Parson is less than green. It’s not a step forward.
Honestly with leach dying nothing is a step forward because even if we get a cosch that does modified air raid it won't be what leach did. Leach built this team into a niche. A true air raid niche. Will is only built for true air raid. Marks not built for between tackles every down but he can adjust and we have another backs. Just need to sign one bruiser transfer. But transfer portal makes that easier to fix. Receivers will be fine. Lineman will be fine.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
My gripe…my dude is paying someone 155k to do what?

1) Coordinate on campus official visit weekends
2) Set up in home visits / travel schedules for recruiting trips
3) Serve as primary POC / liaison for high schools and coaches throughout the state and country for communication regarding potential prospects.
4) Call / Text Leach when he was running behind for an appointment with a player / recruit because he was off following a raccoon or some sh*t (this was probably a bigger job than you realize).

Besides #4, basically all the same things Peterson is going to be doing.

Seriously man, Leach dragged this girl with him 2,500 miles across the country, so in his mind she was pretty important. And we have a $110 million athletic department and you’re bitching about $155k for a position that our hall of fame coach hand picked. If nothing else, just consider that it was an extension of Leach’s salary, which was pretty damn low compared to the rest of the SEC.

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
You think, you think, you don’t know squat

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
That will remedy itself once the OC is on staff. We were going to lose qbs anyway even if we get an air raid OC. They weren't gonna sit behind will another two years.

will hasn't entered the portal yet. What does that tell you? It's back ups.

if will enters the portal then you know it's someone he doesn't like and they are bringing a qb with them.

who is your pick for OC. Let's hear those experienced air raid play callers that we can get.

Both qbs stated they were here for an Air Raid system. Both were groomed to wait their turn and each have 2 years. That's a normal process.

You completely miss the point.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

Dumpster fire? Maybe in regards to W/L based on their preseason rank but there was nothing dumpster about their offense. They had twice as many 500 yard games as we did this season.

I don’t blame ZA for getting away from it. When you have an offense that the league has learned to control and your only option is to pass 55-60 times per game, then you need other options. We had too many games this year where the offense disappeared for QUARTERS even against average competition. That crap doesn’t work especially when you are already behind most opponents talent-wise

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

No. It will be a rebuild and then time to learn the system.

It is not a step forward. We are changing directions.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This offense was good enough to win 9 games with a defense that ranked somewhere in the neighborhood of 39th. Certainly not one of our best defenses. How often does State win 9 games ? If you don't know its not very often. Yes it needed tweaking. It was improving albeit way too slowly. Briles would pass more if he was here. Pittman pushes him to run more than he likes. That interference is the only reason he would come here. Apparently Pittman likes a ol col beer and to stick his d*ckbeaters in the offensive game plan

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
No. It will be a rebuild and then time to learn the system.

It is not a step forward. We are changing directions.
Who would you hire then? Y'all haven't given much input on that. Who would realistically hire that has enough experience to call plays and run that side of the ball as effectively leach did with leach system players.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Nobody is hired yet anyway so it seems like conjecture. But it also seems that arnett does not want to stick with pure air raid with the guys that were on staff.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
This offense was good enough to win 9 games with a defense that ranked somewhere in the neighborhood of 39th. Certainly not one of our best defenses. How often does State win 9 games ? If you don't know its not very often. Yes it needed tweaking. It was improving albeit way too slowly. Briles would pass more if he was here. Pittman pushes him to run more than he likes. That interference is the only reason he would come here. Apparently Pittman likes a ol col beer and to stick his d*ckbeaters in the offensive game plan
Ol col beer, nice! The Baylor Briles offense kinda reminds me of Kiffin. They had a lot of eye candy fake junk mixed in to their plays. It’s cute but it doesn’t hit very often. RG3 was far more impressive than the scheme itself.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
1) Coordinate on campus official visit weekends
2) Set up in home visits / travel schedules for recruiting trips
3) Serve as primary POC / liaison for high schools and coaches throughout the state and country for communication regarding potential prospects.
4) Call / Text Leach when he was running behind for an appointment with a player / recruit because he was off following a raccoon or some sh*t (this was probably a bigger job than you realize).

Besides #4, basically all the same things Peterson is going to be doing.

Seriously man, Leach dragged this girl with him 2,500 miles across the country, so in his mind she was pretty important. And we have a $110 million athletic department and you’re bitching about $155k for a position that our hall of fame coach hand picked. If nothing else, just consider that it was an extension of Leach’s salary, which was pretty damn low compared to the rest of the SEC.
Jay Hopson handled high school relations
Andrea Hollis handled on campus visits and such
Rod Gibson handled recruiting communications

She was just a member of the country club and is no longer our problem. Brad knows MS and the MS highschool scene so as per my original post I’m glad he’s back and glad she’s gone

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login