Bumphis

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I still don't get the infatuation with Bumphis as a coach. He's coached at 5 schools in the last 6 years, 2 of those seasons as a grad assistant. He spent 17 months spread between 3 NFL practice teams in the offseasons and less than a year w/ Edmonton. What qualifies him to be an SEC coach in a pass heavy offense?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I still don't get the infatuation with Bumphis as a coach. He's coached at 5 schools in the last 6 years, 2 of those seasons as a grad assistant. He spent 17 months spread between 3 NFL practice teams in the offseasons and less than a year w/ Edmonton. What qualifies him to be an SEC coach in a pass heavy offense?
Not head coach, position coach. And bouncing between teams as a GA is how most coaches get started.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Because he’s a good coach, maybe? He coaches receivers for the back-to-back pac 12 champs. He loves MSU. He’ll recruit the hell out of Mississippi at the perfect time. Arnett wants to put a border around MS and build the program from here and Bump will excel in that. At the same time, Mississippi will continue to sign out of state kids and transfers. It’s a perfect fit.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Spurrier won’t be on the staff next year

So we’re replacing a position coach with extensive experience in the Air Raid with one that has none whatsoever, and getting an external hire for OC? That seems somewhat unlikely unless Spurrier is moving on to a better gig by his own choice.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If Bumphis is coming in that means Spurrier Jr. is going to OC. Hard to imagine any other way it would shake out.
Spurrior likely isn't returning. And Spurrior only hooked up with Leach in 2018, so he's not been in the air raid his whole life. Air Raid routes aren't unique either. Nothing about the WR spot in the Air Raid is different than other offenses really. Also, I'm not even sure Bump has been offered a job here. Arnett supposedly wants to bring Lindley back. That's the only one for sure I've heard. But I do think Bump would be logical assuming Spurrior leaves, but we'll see next week I guess.

Last edited:

Connor Mead1

Oct 18, 2022
I don't know anything about coaching (certainly no more than any other armchair coach / QB), but he has been at both Buffalo and Utah, both of which seemingly are very well run programs. Smart well run programs generally lead to smart well running employees / coaches.

patdog

May 28, 2007
every career move has been a step up. Utah obviously thought enough of him to bring him back as a full-time assistant after his GA gig there. And he’s obviously been successful there.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Bumphis is the WR coach for the current back to back PAC12 champs, is second all-time in MSU history in receiving yards, and will help recruit the position we have historically struggled to attract top talent (WR). This is an absolute no-brainer and it’s honestly an indictment on our program that we haven’t hired him before now.

Sep 15, 2009
It's ridiculous. Folks want him because he played here and loves Mississippi State. To hell with being qualified

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He can't control them catching the damn ball
SMH. All about drills in practice. All about recruiting. Some of our receivers don't look like they have been trained at all to catch in traffic. They may catch 1000 balls a week but they don't look like they have had to do it with a dummy pad hitting them in the back and the helmet at the same time.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
It’s mind blowing that we have a WR coach who’s been actively trying to return to his alma mater where he had a very successful career, who will bring a positive impact on our program, specifically recruiting WR’s - and we have posters on here questioning if it’s a good thing or not.

Sep 15, 2009
It’s mind blowing that we have a WR coach who’s been actively trying to return to his alma mater where he had a very successful career, who will bring a positive impact on our program, specifically recruiting WR’s - and we have posters on here questioning if it’s a good thing or not.
I am sure there are several former players who love MSU. We gonna give them a coaching spot?

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I am sure there are several former players who love MSU. We gonna give them a coaching spot?
What’s your concern? Our WR’s will take some sort of a step backwards with Chad Bumphis as their position coach? Did you watch our WR’s this season? Maybe the biggest responsibility for a position coach in today’s CFB is recruiting, which is probably Arnett’s angle with this hire.

Sep 15, 2009
What’s your concern? Our WR’s will take some sort of a step backwards with Chad Bumphis as their position coach? Did you watch our WR’s this season? Maybe the biggest responsibility for a position coach in today’s CFB is recruiting, which is probably Arnett’s angle with this hire.
I think the best chance to take a step forward is to get a more qualified coach. Where's the list of recruits CB has gotten since he is such a great recruiter

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm not usually one to pander for hiring alumni but Chad is an exception. He would be great for recruiting and his receivers have been great at Utah. They haven't dropped much in what I saw this year
"They haven't dropped much in what I saw this year"

They haven't caught much either. He had 4 receivers in the top 50 of the Pac 12 (#7, 19, 34, and 50) (as bad as ours were, we had 6 in the SEC Top 50). His #1 receiver, a tight end, which we don't even use. As important as receivers are to this offense, I really think we need somebody with a lot more experience than what he brings to the table, especially with the Air Raid scheme.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Bumphis is the WR coach for the current back to back PAC12 champs, is second all-time in MSU history in receiving yards, and will help recruit the position we have historically struggled to attract top talent (WR). This is an absolute no-brainer and it’s honestly an indictment on our program that we haven’t hired him before now.
I actually think the timing would be perfect. He’s had time to work his way up the ranks and gain experience from some good coaches. Add in the predicted/rumored offensive staff shake up and the timing seems right…

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I think the best chance to take a step forward is to get a more qualified coach. Where's the list of recruits CB has gotten since he is such a great recruiter
So if we hired Utah’s WR coach tomorrow you would be concerned? Let’s assume he’s completely unaffiliated with MSU

This just seems like an unusual hill to die on. It’s like you don’t approve hiring an up-and
-coming WR coach who has power 5 coaching experience at a successful program simply because he played at MSU.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

They haven't caught much either. He had 4 receivers in the top 50 of the Pac 12 (#7, 19, 34, and 50) (as bad as ours were, we had 6 in the SEC Top 50). His #1 receiver, a tight end, which we don't even use. As important as receivers are to this offense, I really think we need somebody with a lot more experience than what he brings to the table, especially with the Air Raid scheme.
You don't know that we won't use a tight end this year. They also don't throw it 60 plays a game like we do either. The stats get skewed when you compare spread offense to a Mike Leach air raid.

Reactions: drumrcraig

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

It doesn’t sound like we’re going to stick to the traditional “air-raid” like the last few seasons under Leach (thankfully). We’re going to something more modern and we’ll run more than 20-25% of the time like recently.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Well our head coach disagrees. I’ve heard him say it two times in the last week that’s players are a more important than scheme/coaching. I’ll take his opinion over yours.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020

You realize there’s about 100% chance we have TE’s next year right? Leach was one of the few if not only coaches in FBS to not use one. We aren’t running it back with Spurrier. He will be elsewhere because he’s not getting the OC job. He will try and land one somewhere I presume. Some G5 school like FIU or something will hire him.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020

If they’re as qualified as Bumphis, heck yeah we give them a coaching spot if it’s a position of need.
It’s not like they are saying Anthony Dixon for RB’s coach. And if this were the case, I’d call them out. Bump is more than qualified and ready to be the guy.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Bumphis is the coaching equivalent of the backup QB. Nobody really knows how he’d really do but everyone likes the sound of their own voice and opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Southern Law Dawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The WR coach of back to back PAC-12 champions is a backup QB. Interesting.
No, he’s a coach who isn’t here currently so he must be better than what we already have. He might be, I don’t know. Nobody is paying me millions of dollars per year to make these decisions but I’m a poster on a message board so I must be smart.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
No, he’s a coach who isn’t here currently so he must be better than what we already have. He might be, I don’t know. Nobody is paying me millions of dollars per year to make these decisions but I’m a poster on a message board so I must be smart.
How would you evaluate our current WR room, coaching, etc.? I don’t see how Bumphis will have a negative impact on anything we have currently. We haven’t had a WR drafted in decades, and it’s 100% a fact that hurts our WR recruiting.

I don’t think anyone in their right mind is expecting Bumphis to completely transform WR’s at MSU, but let’s not act like our current situation is something to be proud of.

Reactions: AFDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login