Buy or Sell - Jackie would have been fired after '96 in the internet era...

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Buy!

Records:

1993 - 3-6-2
1994 - 8-4
1995 - 3-8
1996 - 5-6

I believe if internet had been as prevalent in '96 as now, there is a good likelihood Jackie would have been fired. We cannot accept mediocrity!

Three of four losing seasons in the West, which at that point was much weaker than the East with UF and UT rolling.

He saved his job with a win over Alabama and won the Egg Bowl against a terrible Ole Miss team.

Only consideration that makes me think he wouldn't have been fired is that LT was AD.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Sell. The fanbase was still somewhat supportive even after that four-year stretch because:
a) we were soooo bad through most of the '80s
b) Jackie had beaten Ole Miss in 93, 94, and 96, so a lot of the fanbase would forgive him just about anything.
c) the team showed obvious improvement between 95 and 96.

Besides, there was internet around in those days, although obviously not as prevalent. There were a lot of people calling for his head, and a lot of idiots calling his talk show to yell at him. Good times.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hold - On the fence on this -

After reading that old article about Jackie Sherrill and how he came to be at Mississippi State, I think Templeton was kind of bound to Jackie and would have stuck with him unless he had multiple 'Tech & 10' seasons. You also have to remember, we were coming off some really bad Rockey Felker years (5 SEC wins, 1 win against Ole Miss and of course 'Tech & 10' in 5 years) when Jackie got here, so Jackie had some goodwill built in after starting his tenure with a win over #13 Texas, an Egg Bowl win, and a bowl appearance.

That being said... I'm not sure Templeton would have survived those numbers either...

But it's not just the rise of the internet itself, it's also:
1. The influx of huge TV contracts - The money coming in now is what? 5X-10X what it was 30 years ago? I don't think you can have the Templeton mindset with that kind of money coming in.

2. The increase in sports media outlets - Part of this is online media, but before 93 there was only one ESPN. Now there's ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, ESPNNews, ESPN Classic, ESPN+, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPN Deportes, Longhorn Network, FS1, CBS Sports, CBS Sports HQ, Stadium, Big Ten Network, Pac-12 Network, MLB Network, NFL Network, and multiple regional networks like SportsNet and BallySports. Every single one of them has to have content to fill time and when it's not being filled with live sports, it's usually filled with talking heads on a split screen or around a desk talking about who should be fired in the realm of sports they're discussing.

3. Realignment - There is no fear from a Mississippi State fan's perspective about Mississippi State being booted from the SEC (or at least there shouldn't be). The fear really comes into play if Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and maybe Tennessee ever decide to join up with the Ohio States, USCws, and Florida States of the world to form a separate super conference. I'm not sure it's warranted, but I feel a lot more confident in the leadership in place now making sure Mississippi State has a place at the table than I did 20 years ago.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
There were a lot of people calling for his head, and a lot of idiots calling his talk show to yell at him. Good times.
Ah... the call in show... I used to love watching that with my dad as a kid. Jack Crystal fielding calls and the coach having to say "no, I have no plans to retire any time soon" over and over again.

Jack Crystal: We'll be back followed by this message from Golden Flake. Golden Flake, an official sponsor of Mississippi State athletics.

Jackie Sherrill holding a Golden Flake bag: When we look for players at Mississippi State, we look for players that pack a crunch (loudly bites chip). That's why I love Golden Flake chips. They pack a crunch (loudly bites another chip).

Jack Crystal Voiceover: Golden Flake, an official sponsor of Mississippi State Athletics. Available at your local retailers.

Jack Crystal: Welcome back. Martin from Hot Coffee, you're on with Coach Sherrill.

Martin from Hot Coffee: Coach, after this loss to Northeast Louisiana, who I hadn't even heard of before this week, have you considered retiring?

Jackie Sherrill: No, Martin, I still think I have a lot to offer and I think the Indians are a much better team than their record suggests.

Jack Crystal: Thank you Martin. Shane from Houlka, you're on with Coach Jackie Sherrill.

Shane from Houlka: Coach... this Northeast Louisiana loss reminded me a lot of that tie against Arkansas State two years ago. Do you think these two bad losses coming so close together is a sign that you should maybe retire?

Jackie Sherrill: Well, Arkansas State was a tie, not a loss and no... I still think I should be the head coach here. I have no plans to retire any time soon.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Yes, and he should be. This isn't 1996. It's an arms race now. With salaries out the roof, more should be expected and it's easier to find coaches with the big salaries.

Reactions: Dawgg

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
That record is only unacceptable now because of Mullen’s tenure. We expect 6 wins as a base minimum and even then you better not be blown out and looking stupid against conference opponents i.e. Moorhead. We accept ugly games against the blue bloods for now but if we recruited in the top 15 we wouldn’t.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Buy!

Records:

1993 - 3-6-2
1994 - 8-4
1995 - 3-8
1996 - 5-6

I believe if internet had been as prevalent in '96 as now, there is a good likelihood Jackie would have been fired. We cannot accept mediocrity!

Three of four losing seasons in the West, which at that point was much weaker than the East with UF and UT rolling.

He saved his job with a win over Alabama and won the Egg Bowl against a terrible Ole Miss team.

Only consideration that makes me think he wouldn't have been fired is that LT was AD.

Sell. We lost a Top 3 RB in the country to an ACL injury in the 3rd or 4th week of the year. Still Beat Alabama for the first time in 16 years, which was probably the biggest MSU sports moment in that mid-90’s era besides the Final Four run. Beat Ole Miss on the road. Close losses to UK and Arkansas also. That year looks a lot different if those games go the other way.

Also its important to note that we’d have been 6-6 under the current schedule format. Ask yourself if Leach would be fired this year if we went 6-6 this year with a win over either Bama or UGA, plus a road Egg Bowl win.

Reactions: patdog

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Sell. The fanbase was still somewhat supportive even after that four-year stretch because:
a) we were soooo bad through most of the '80s
b) Jackie had beaten Ole Miss in 93, 94, and 96, so a lot of the fanbase would forgive him just about anything.
c) the team showed obvious improvement between 95 and 96.

Besides, there was internet around in those days, although obviously not as prevalent. There were a lot of people calling for his head, and a lot of idiots calling his talk show to yell at him. Good times.
We had a bad stretch immediately preceeding Jackie. We were looking up with jackie.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Buy!

Records:

1993 - 3-6-2
1994 - 8-4
1995 - 3-8
1996 - 5-6

Sell. You missed the 1992 season when Sherrill goes 7-5, beating Texas, Auburn on the road, and Ole Miss.

We also had the NCAA investigation upon us, and some faculty were getting their hands on the NCAA inquiry, photocopying it, and making it available to anyone who was interested. There were actual ways to communicate before the internet.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Yes, and he should be. This isn't 1996. It's an arms race now. With salaries out the roof, more should be expected and it's easier to find coaches with the big salaries.
So you'd be all for firing a coach who beat Bama for the first time in 16 years? If Mike Leach does the impossible and beats Bama I'm all for keeping him around a few more years.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
This really goes to show that for many in the fan base, it’s all about beating Ole Miss. if we go 9-3 and lose to OM, people will be pissed and call for Leach’s head. Sherrill had middling or losing records but beat OM and everything was fine.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Buy!

Records:

1993 - 3-6-2
1994 - 8-4
1995 - 3-8
1996 - 5-6

Who knows but it would have been a dumb move then just like now.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
This really goes to show that for many in the fan base, it’s all about beating Ole Miss. if we go 9-3 and lose to OM, people will be pissed and call for Leach’s head. Sherrill had middling or losing records but beat OM and everything was fine.
it is of HIGH DAMB important to beat OLD MYTH'S @$$ EVRY DAMBED CHANCE WE GET. PERIOD

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Sell. He beat Alabama and OM before the end of the year. We wouldn't fire anyone, even today after they beat those two in one season.

with that said, I'm not sure what the point of this post is but.... Jackie was very much on the hot seat coming into that Alabama game. Those wins saved his job.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login