buy/sell interesting question i pondered this morning

cosmo costanza

Feb 25, 2008
with castro resigning, will his resignation have any effect on getting more of their players onto major league teams?

cosmo costanza

Feb 25, 2008
that the cubans are claiming that one of their cubans hit a homerun out of yankee stadium like the negro leagues said josh gibson did?

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
LOL. I remember when the old home run record was 61, Josh Gibson supposedly hit 70. When McGwire hit 70, it all of a sudden became 75.

But seriously, I do think that they are comparable because you have players like Omar Linares who probably would have been pretty good players in the Big Leagues, but we will never know because they were not allowed to play.

Same with Josh Gibson. I'm sure he would have been a star in the Big Leagues, but sadly he was not allowed to play. I don't know if he would have been as good as Babe Ruth, but I think maybe someone like Jimmy Foxx or Hack Wilson would have been more comparable. Of course, that's debatable.

cosmo costanza

Feb 25, 2008
i agree. gibson had a ton of power, but (and i don't happen to have a negro leagues stat sheet in front me) i do recall that he had a relatively low ba. above the mendoza line, no less, but it's february so his average is probably hovering around .500 all time right now. like in a league of their own, when the older black lady threw the ball back in. everybody knew they could play, but it was subtle reminder to remind us that black people can play baseball too, which i give them credit for. i just dont think their heroes could stack up to the heroes of the bigs

edited to add the league of their own spiel

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login