Buy / Sell: Jerruh needs to go balls out and trade for Cooper Kupp

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Kupp is 30, on IR for a few more weeks, and is a $30 million hit to the cap in 2024. The Rams have also already found his replacement in Puka Nacua, a stud who is practically a clone of Kupp himself….for 5th round rookie money. Kupp is 100% on the block unless the Rams are just morons. Due to his contract, they will never, ever get anything for him after this season’s trade deadline.

Dallas has everything they need to challenge Philly / SF and be the Super Bowl favorite from the NFC….except that 2nd WR who can pull attention away from the do-it-all CeeDee Lamb. Brandin Cooks is neither healthy nor the answer to what they need in that role, although he does provide value still as a deep threat. Get Kupp and Lamb on the field together, and Dallas has their own version of AJ / Devonta or Deebo / Aiyuk. Dak gets the ultimate supporting cast, and the front office will then know for sure one way or the other if he’s worth another huge investment on the 3rd contract.

I’m buying in Costco bulk.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Sell. I'm not a Cowboys fan but I would go after Tee Higgins before Cupp. Higgins is 6 years younger, doesn't have the injury history of Cupp, is much cheaper and is use to being the #2 guy. Higgins in last year of contract with Bengals and it doesn't appear the Bengals have much interest in bringing him back next year.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Kupp is special when he is healthy, though he’s had some injuries the last two years. Would see that as a very intriguing move for Dallas.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Sell. I'm not a Cowboys fan but I would go after Tee Higgins before Cupp. Higgins is 6 years younger, doesn't have the injury history of Cupp, is much cheaper and is use to being the #2 guy. Higgins in last year of contract with Bengals and it doesn't appear the Bengals have much interest in bringing him back next year.
I’d certainly agree that you’d rather have Higgins the player over Kupp, but I don’t think Cincy has any motivation to move on from Higgins. Curious as to why you don’t think they bring him back….as a 2nd rounder he’s a fairly cheap franchise tag in 2024. They still have a limited SB window with him and Chase before Burrow’s huge cap hits start coming. So I would see Higgins as being more expensive in terms of draft capital required to land him. If it went down, you would also have both him and Lamb clamoring for near max deals at the same time in 2024/2025 and beyond. Wouldn’t be able to pay both of them.

Overall I see Kupp as being the more attainable option. I’d be absolutely shocked if the Rams don’t try to deal him to somebody. And I think Dallas still really needs that 2nd stud receiver. So it just seems to make sense for both sides.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I’d certainly agree that you’d rather have Higgins the player over Kupp, but I don’t think Cincy has any motivation to move on from Higgins. Curious as to why you don’t think they bring him back….as a 2nd rounder he’s a fairly cheap franchise tag in 2024. They still have a limited SB window with him and Chase before Burrow’s huge cap hits start coming. So I would see Higgins as being more expensive in terms of draft capital required to land him. If it went down, you would also have both him and Lamb clamoring for near max deals at the same time in 2024/2025 and beyond. Wouldn’t be able to pay both of them.

Overall I see Kupp as being the more attainable option. I’d be absolutely shocked if the Rams don’t try to deal him to somebody. And I think Dallas still really needs that 2nd stud receiver. So it just seems to make sense for both sides.
With Burrow's recent contract, Chase eligible for an extension after this year as well as the Bengals extending other players, such as Logan Wilson, among others, the Bengals cap situation may not make it feasible to keep both Chase and Higgins at what they would command on the open market.

According to this article, tagging Higgins won't be that cheap and may not be a possibility at all.

Cupp has a history of injuries, whether it’s the current hamstring issue, ankle issues last year, or torn acl and sprained mcl in 2018. I don't know many athletes whose injuries lessen with age. Not saying he's not a good player but if I'm paying the money he's owed, he has to be able to be on the field.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Dallas needs to take care of business this year. Last year, they were two OT losses (games they should have won) from being 14-2 going into the last week of the season, in the driver's seat for a bye. Their path to the Super Bowl would have been NYG at home, SF OR PHI at home instead of @ TB, @ SF, @ PHI.
Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 11.10.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 11.11.01 AM.png

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
With Burrow's recent contract, Chase eligible for an extension after this year as well as the Bengals extending other players, such as Logan Wilson, among others, the Bengals cap situation may not make it feasible to keep both Chase and Higgins at what they would command on the open market.

According to this article, tagging Higgins won't be that cheap and may not be a possibility at all.

Cupp has a history of injuries, whether it’s the current hamstring issue, ankle issues last year, or torn acl and sprained mcl in 2018. I don't know many athletes whose injuries lessen with age. Not saying he's not a good player but if I'm paying the money he's owed, he has to be able to be on the field.
The article seems to imply that they can’t tag Higgins because of a looming extension for Chase. I’m not following that logic, as Chase will already be under team control through at least 2025 if Cincy picks up his 5th year option (which will be expensive at around $22 million, but its no more than the tag amount). In any case, they should be able to pay Higgins, Burrow, and Chase in 2024 even if they tag Higgins, unless they decide to give Chase an early raise. Chase’s cap hit in 2024 is only $9.8 million, and Burrow’s is only $29.7 million. Both would jump exponentially in 2025, but they’d still have the window of this year and next year if they don’t blow their wad on Chase.

Overall, no NFL team can afford to pay a QB and 2 WR’s (or WR + TE) max deals for very long. Cincy can’t keep Burrow / Chase / Higgins together past 2024. Dallas wouldn’t be able to keep Dak, Lamb, and Higgins together past 2024 either (or maybe even in 2024). Something would have to give. What Kupp offers is that you can offer him a restructure - likely with a pay cut - in 2024. Use his age as leverage. This could at minimum spread his cap hit since he’s not going to get another huge contract. Can’t do that with Higgins or another appreciating asset like that. But no matter what, somebody is going to be a 1-2 year rental - Higgins, Kupp, or Lamb. I think Kupp gives you the most back end flexibility to lengthen that rental period as long as possible. Also not buying the “injury prone” myth. It’s been proven that injuries are a product of luck / circumstance more than anything, with very few exceptions. And most any 30-year old NFL vet is going to have at least some injury history.

All that said, just to put something on paper….say Dallas wants to give up a 2nd round pick. If Kupp / Higgins are both available right now for that price, and all the tertiary parts of the deal are equal….you definitely take Higgins and figure 2024/25 out later. But if its a 2nd for Kupp vs. a 1st for Higgins, I think you take Kupp. And vice versa.

Either way, Jerry needs to be making the calls and getting something lined up. These are the kind of deals you have to make to get a ring if you don’t have a Manning, Brady, or Mahomes. See Philly with AJ, SF with CMC, etc.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
The article seems to imply that they can’t tag Higgins because of a looming extension for Chase. I’m not following that logic, as Chase will already be under team control through at least 2025 if Cincy picks up his 5th year option (which will be expensive at around $22 million, but its no more than the tag amount). In any case, they should be able to pay Higgins, Burrow, and Chase in 2024 even if they tag Higgins, unless they decide to give Chase an early raise. Chase’s cap hit in 2024 is only $9.8 million, and Burrow’s is only $29.7 million. Both would jump exponentially in 2025, but they’d still have the window of this year and next year if they don’t blow their wad on Chase.

Overall, no NFL team can afford to pay a QB and 2 WR’s (or WR + TE) max deals for very long. Cincy can’t keep Burrow / Chase / Higgins together past 2024. Dallas wouldn’t be able to keep Dak, Lamb, and Higgins together past 2024 either (or maybe even in 2024). Something would have to give. What Kupp offers is that you can offer him a restructure - likely with a pay cut - in 2024. Use his age as leverage. This could at minimum spread his cap hit since he’s not going to get another huge contract. Can’t do that with Higgins or another appreciating asset like that. But no matter what, somebody is going to be a 1-2 year rental - Higgins, Kupp, or Lamb. I think Kupp gives you the most back end flexibility to lengthen that rental period as long as possible. Also not buying the “injury prone” myth. It’s been proven that injuries are a product of luck / circumstance more than anything, with very few exceptions. And most any 30-year old NFL vet is going to have at least some injury history.

All that said, just to put something on paper….say Dallas wants to give up a 2nd round pick. If Kupp / Higgins are both available right now for that price, and all the tertiary parts of the deal are equal….you definitely take Higgins and figure 2024/25 out later. But if its a 2nd for Kupp vs. a 1st for Higgins, I think you take Kupp. And vice versa.

Either way, Jerry needs to be making the calls and getting something lined up. These are the kind of deals you have to make to get a ring if you don’t have a Manning, Brady, or Mahomes. See Philly with AJ, SF with CMC, etc.
This is only a guess, but the Bengals probably want to extend Chase after this year before Jefferson gets a new contract with the Vikings. This is Jefferson's last year on his rookie contract, but the Vikings have picked up his 5th year which will pay him around $19 million for 24 if he doesn't get an extension. Bengals probably see it being less expensive to extend Chase now then after 24, which would probably leave Higgins as odd man out. Again, it's just a guess.

Honestly don't care what Jerry does but the question was if I would buy/sell trading for Cupp to Cowboys. I'm still selling. Whether it's Higgins or someone else, I think there would be other options than Cupp. He missed 8 games last year and will miss at least 4 this year. McVey keeps using the term "hopeful" when talking about his return week 5. To me that doesn't sound promising.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is only a guess, but the Bengals probably want to extend Chase after this year before Jefferson gets a new contract with the Vikings. This is Jefferson's last year on his rookie contract, but the Vikings have picked up his 5th year which will pay him around $19 million for 24 if he doesn't get an extension. Bengals probably see it being less expensive to extend Chase now then after 24, which would probably leave Higgins as odd man out. Again, it's just a guess.

Honestly don't care what Jerry does but the question was if I would buy/sell trading for Cupp to Cowboys. I'm still selling. Whether it's Higgins or someone else, I think there would be other options than Cupp. He missed 8 games last year and will miss at least 4 this year. McVey keeps using the term "hopeful" when talking about his return week 5. To me that doesn't sound promising.
Yeah, that all makes sense. And to be clear, I’m not saying they should trade for anybody today or tomorrow. In fact, for Kupp it might be beneficial for Dallas to wait until closer to the deadline to see how he responds from the injury and also make the Rams still have to take half of his 2023 cap hit. But then you are shifting leverage back over to the Rams. The closer they get to the deadline, the higher that draft capital price will likely get (especially if he’s back to 100% health).

Ultimately, they need whoever for the 2nd half schedule and the playoffs. They are fine without the help for now. If its Kupp, they can take it slow and not bring him back until he’s 100%. Hard to imagine an early September hamstring injury being anything close to season ending. He’ll be fine in a month or so. But in my opinion, they need to make a play for a second big time WR. Either Higgins or Kupp would be awesome for them and Dak.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
It's so pitifully sweet to see Cowboy fans continue to hope and believe Jerruh is going to make moves that might actually help the Cowboys win.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Anything that involves Jerry Jones’s balls being out is a no for me.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I think their cap situation is so tight that they don’t have the room to tag higgins and extend chase. The tag last year for a WR was right at $20 million. I bet they do tag him and then trade him in the off season. Then extend Chase after Higgins is off the books.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's so pitifully sweet to see Cowboy fans continue to hope and believe Jerruh is going to make moves that might actually help the Cowboys win.
I’m not a Cowboys fan. I am a Dak fan obviously. Just thinking about what makes sense from a trade perspective that might actually pay off. You’d think with so many stupid deals and mismanagement that they would eventually find themselves in a blind-squirrel-acorn scenario….even they had to way overpay for somebody.

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think their cap situation is so tight that they don’t have the room to tag higgins and extend chase. The tag last year for a WR was right at $20 million. I bet they do tag him and then trade him in the off season. Then extend Chase after Higgins is off the books.
But they don’t HAVE to extend Chase until 2025 (or between 2024 and 2025). They really don’t even have to then, as they have a team option year and a franchise tag year after that if they want it. But they’ll almost certainly want to do it before the 2025 season kicks off, to prevent paying the franchise tag price 2 years in a row.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The Bengals started 0-2 last year as well I believe so I doubt they are ready to pack it in just yet.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login