Buy/Sell: Retirement quote

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Recently the quote “If you are thinking about retirement, you’re already retired” was overheard by me from one colleague to another in the executive ranks.

I found this to be an interesting statement especially with some comments on the board about the “1000-yard stare”

Personally, I’m not buying.it sounds like a line from a self-help or corporate leadership book.

Thoughts?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Recently the quote “If you are thinking about retirement, you’re already retired” was overheard by me from one colleague to another in the executive ranks.

I found this to be an interesting statement especially with some comments on the board about the “1000-yard stare”

Personally, I’m not buying.it sounds like a line from a self-help or corporate leadership book.

Thoughts?
Probably a line from a self-help or corporate leadership book that is in there because it has some truth in it. I will say that most of my friends these days when talking about work are talking about their "number" to hit for retirement and how close they are/aren't.

ETA: when my same friends were younger, they talked about work itself and what was going on there

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Retired three years ago at 55. I called it burnout. The thousand yard stare is real. You reach the point where you are just going through the motions. The question changes from “ do I have enough “ to “ is there any way I can make it work”.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I am in my 30s and think about retirement often. Mainly planning and what I would want to get out of life in retirement. I also am a high performer, work hard and add a lot of value where I work.

Absolutes are hardly ever accurate. In my time in corporate America, executives have said some really foolish and self serving nonsense. Some are great and speak from experience but others are easy bake oven made execs who read the right books, say the right things and knew the right people. This is an easy bake oven answer.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I am in my 30s and think about retirement often. Mainly planning and what I would want to get out of life in retirement. I also am a high performer, work hard and add a lot of value where I work.

Absolutes are hardly ever accurate. In my time in corporate America, executives have said some really foolish and self serving nonsense. Some are great and speak from experience but others are easy bake oven made execs who read the right books, say the right things and knew the right people. This is an easy bake oven answer.
I had a long running theory that ties cut off blood flow to the brain, however, now that even higher level execs often dress down, I don't have an explanation for their terrible leadership...

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I read years ago that work productivity starts declining after five years so you should change jobs every five years. I thought it was BS at the time but looking at it in the rear view mirror, I agree with that statement.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Thoughts?
Saban made that exact quote two months ago.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
This is certainly not the dumbest thing ever said... but it's pretty bad.
I know several people who are probably "going through the motions" but they do it well enough to not get fired, and they are sure not retired.
I myself think about retiring all the time, but assuming I'll live for 25+ years, I for sure can't make it work at my age of 50.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Retired three years ago at 55. I called it burnout. The thousand yard stare is real. You reach the point where you are just going through the motions. The question changes from “ do I have enough “ to “ is there any way I can make it work”.

I hit what I've referred to as semi retirement in 2020. Covid was ********. Professionally, I was told my 29 years in respiratory protection amounted to "bandana is good enough to stop the airborne virus", I lost my 21 year old son that labor day (not to covid). So...I hit that reflective spot and said to hell with it. Bought a store and added engraving. I get lots of entertainment daily via customer special projects. It works so far.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

I had an uncle who gave me some advice in my 20’s or early 30’s. 1. Live below your means, save the rest. 2. Never borrow money for anything other than a house or an automobile and try to avoid borrowing for an automobile. If you can’t pay for it, you can’t afford it. Use a credit card only for emergencies. Pay cash for everything. Handing over green bills is real and you weigh the consequences of the purchase. Using a credit card or signing a piece of paper is too easy, your brain doesn’t relate it to how long or how hard you worked for that dollar.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I could have retired last February but I saw the differences in my define benefit plan waiting until 63. I am burn out and think about every day, but I am going to wait. It does feel good that I do have a pension plan and can walk out whenever I want. I am going to withdraw from my 401K in June and pay off bills and give some to my kids for college.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I hit what I've referred to as semi retirement in 2020. Covid was ********. Professionally, I was told my 29 years in respiratory protection amounted to "bandana is good enough to stop the airborne virus", I lost my 21 year old son that labor day (not to covid). So...I hit that reflective spot and said to hell with it. Bought a store and added engraving. I get lots of entertainment daily via customer special projects. It works so far.
I didn’t mean to retire at the time. I had a side gig and just decided to quit my day job of 30+ years and devote full time to the side gig. My secondary job was tied heavily to China and when Covid hit things changed. I had a decision to make, either commit completely as in I would have to start traveling to China periodically or sell the business and retire. I sold out and went to the house.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I know one thing - I will not be one of those people you have to force out 5 years after they could have retired. wtf is wrong with these people who keep sticking around? A few of them I work with have more money than they'll ever be able to spend. I have no clue what keeps them showing up every day in their late 60s or even past 70. Guess those people are just wired different than me.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I know one thing - I will not be one of those people you have to force out 5 years after they could have retired. wtf is wrong with these people who keep sticking around? A few of them I work with have more money than they'll ever be able to spend. I have no clue what keeps them showing up every day in their late 60s or even past 70. Guess those people are just wired different than me.
That's probably their identity? They fear losing who they are if they leave. I've met quite a few people who think they are their job/position and they can't handle it when it goes away.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I had an uncle who gave me some advice in my 20’s or early 30’s. 1. Live below your means, save the rest. 2. Never borrow money for anything other than a house or an automobile and try to avoid borrowing for an automobile. If you can’t pay for it, you can’t afford it. Use a credit card only for emergencies. Pay cash for everything. Handing over green bills is real and you weigh the consequences of the purchase. Using a credit card or signing a piece of paper is too easy, your brain doesn’t relate it to how long or how hard you worked for that dollar.
Similar. When I started retirement financial planning in some detail, money became less abstract and more related to how long I have to work until I can retire. My spending dropped. Also, I started thinking of costs in yearly costs, not monthly, and even 10 year costs. Cable for example, seemed ok at $150 a month, but at $1800 a year and $18000 over 10 years....time to cut the cord.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I see those peeps eveey day too. Know a few that retired and only made it a few weeks before they took a full time job. Knew one that made more in SS, pension, and required distributions than I made in salary, yet still worked full time. Some people just don't know how to relax.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
There’s a lot of good advice in there. We have done well for the most part in living a modest life for our income. My wife and I graduated with 80k in student loans. Then I brilliantly bought a new car after graduation. We paid it all off in 6 years thanks to our discipline. Had some lifestyle creep in our early 30s but are back on track now. Most of that is thanks to advice like you gave.

One thing that has helped our family is knowing what we value in life. Knowing what you want out of life really makes purchase decisions so much easier.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
My boss and I have a similar number of years working. We have planned for our retirements so that we aren't leaving at the same time. It won't be very far apart. I get to go first, 18 months to go. I have hired someone I hope to be my replacement, so the organization doesn't miss a beat.

So I have been thinking about retiring for a while but things aren't slowing down no matter how much I wish they would. However the last 4-6 I hope to be on my version of a farewell tour.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I think about pusssy all the time. What does that make me...?
Persistent nosebleeds indicate brain drain. Some lobes don’t do anything. Others are quite active and it’s critical they are stimulated. Perhaps your partner can tell you which is which.

From her lips to your ears.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Thoughts?
There's some truth to it, if you're 5 year plan is retirement, the you're probably not seeking out ways to improve your job capabilities or going above and beyond to get the next job.

But it's pretty a-holish to think that way about employees. You hire people to do a job, not to overdo a job so as to get the next one.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
There's some truth to it, if you're 5 year plan is retirement, the you're probably not seeking out ways to improve your job capabilities or going above and beyond to get the next job.

But it's pretty a-holish to think that way about employees. You hire people to do a job, not to overdo a job so as to get the next one.
Took me a few years to accept that last part. Most of my career I've obsessed about other jobs or what I need to do to get the next one that "I'm supposed to get". A good corporate schmuck, but that **** is stressful. And to what ends? Am I going to be the CFO of a fortune 100 company? No - I'm not built for it nor do I want it.

I've found that life overall is way more enjoyable being very good at what you are doing at that moment. Learn and be flexible and adaptable so you are tough to replace. Shut it down at the end of the day when you've done what you were hired to do and go be with your family. If that costs me a promotion or more money - FINE WITH ME.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Your response intrigues me. I’m always trying to look to write the next chapter of my career. I never think about it as “retirement” in the traditional sense.

However, sometimes “burnout” I would interpret as “boredom” or lack of a challenge.

Reactions: 22yardpunt

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

I think your uncle was a very wise man.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Your response intrigues me. I’m always trying to look to write the next chapter of my career. I never think about it as “retirement” in the traditional sense.

However, sometimes “burnout” I would interpret as “boredom” or lack of a challenge.
You’re not far off on your interpretation. I had advanced as far as I could in a family business. I could do my job with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back. You might ask why I stayed as long as I did, the job allowed me time and flexibility to pursue my side gig. I didn’t cheat them, I didn’t have to. The burnout came from the quality of peers that I was working with and dealing with. It seemed that the job became more about crossing T’s and dotting I’s than the actual work.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Thoughts?
You know my thinking since we’ve talked about this a few times.

The stretch from PERS Year 19 or so to 23 can be rough.

I finally began feeling better around Year 24 when I realized I had options thanks to the leave time I’d accumulated.

And my job change has energized me so far.

You also know my thoughts about your situation: You're in a great place and it’s Mississippi’s loss you’re not here but the Negatives of you being back home massively outweigh your Current Positives.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login