Buy/Sell: Retirement quote

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I could have retired last February but I saw the differences in my define benefit plan waiting until 63. I am burn out and think about every day, but I am going to wait. It does feel good that I do have a pension plan and can walk out whenever I want. I am going to withdraw from my 401K in June and pay off bills and give some to my kids for college.
Pension plan. What industry do you work in that still has that?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I know one thing - I will not be one of those people you have to force out 5 years after they could have retired. wtf is wrong with these people who keep sticking around? A few of them I work with have more money than they'll ever be able to spend. I have no clue what keeps them showing up every day in their late 60s or even past 70. Guess those people are just wired different than me.
I plan to work as long as i enjoy it and I'm physically and mentally able. At least that is my 50's mentality. Retirement is a relatively new concept.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know one thing - I will not be one of those people you have to force out 5 years after they could have retired. wtf is wrong with these people who keep sticking around? A few of them I work with have more money than they'll ever be able to spend. I have no clue what keeps them showing up every day in their late 60s or even past 70. Guess those people are just wired different than me.
I shocked a lot of people when I retired.

A friend said I was a staple where I worked.

My response: Staples rust.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I could retire and I’m mid 50s. I work from home have time to get on this message board during a work day ..and what would I do? I spent 25 years building a business sold out to fortune 300 and I’m set but I like the folks I work with and for and I’m afraid or boredom

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My boss and I have a similar number of years working. We have planned for our retirements so that we aren't leaving at the same time. It won't be very far apart. I get to go first, 18 months to go. I have hired someone I hope to be my replacement, so the organization doesn't miss a beat.

Apropos of your last sentence, I brought up institutional knowledge when chatting with @johnson86-1 in another thread earlier this week.

As long as you train and communicate with people, provide them with the info they need to do their jobs, and be available when and if they have questions, things should be okay.

My former office has had significant turnover this past year.

A co-worker left just before my former supervisor moved up a level to upper administration.

People hired for those vacant positions arrived shortly before I made my move.

I did some prep work training folks, introducing them to people they needed to know, and making sure procedure forms were updated.

I had phone calls and messages from them the first couple months after I left but they’ve become more comfortable as they’ve become familiar with my previous duties.

I don’t really expect them to ask me any more about work-related issues they have but I’ll still help them if needed.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
I’m 67 and been retired for 12 days now. Done some clean up work around my little town, got my lawn mower and four wheeler fixed, and went to the Tennessee game Wednesday night. Cooked steaks, drank wine and single malt, took some walks, called some friends, and cleaned out some drawers. This is great!!
What’s next?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m 67 and been retired for 12 days now. Done some clean up work around my little town, got my lawn mower and four wheeler fixed, and went to the Tennessee game Wednesday night. Cooked steaks, drank wine and single malt, took some walks, called some friends, and cleaned out some drawers. This is great!!
What’s next?
Pace yourself. Some days I do absolutely nothing, if I don’t get finished I pick up the next day where I left off.

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
Retired three years ago at 55. I called it burnout. The thousand yard stare is real. You reach the point where you are just going through the motions. The question changes from “ do I have enough “ to “ is there any way I can make it work”.
I made sure I had plenty of 17 you money when I had enough!!

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
I’m taking a victory lap at 65.
Cannot complain about the last 40 years.
Retiring down south and can’t wait

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Due to Bidenomics, many simply can’t retire.
Trump Election GIF

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
It's because they have no life outside of work.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It's because they have no life outside of work.
It's not just that.

For a lot of folks, it’s how they grew up…

I don’t know how much of it is a product of being around during the Great Depression or living in Mississippi or a combination.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
SAME HERE. I am the second youngest in our business at 53. All older than me are 64+ and a couple are in early-mid 70s. Both are men and both have wives that are still working. My theory is that the woman has told them you retire when I retire. However, if all 7 decided to retire at the same time, we would be screwed because young people are not knocking down the door to get in the car business.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It's not just that.

For a lot of folks, it’s how they grew up…

I don’t know how much of it is a product of being around during the Great Depression or living in Mississippi or a combination.
I do think it's partly generational, and that when all young Boomers/old Gen Xers (50ish) sitting on large 401k balances and plenty of home equity start getting to those tax breaks for retiring at 55, combined with the older Boomers just getting too old to keep this **** up, we may see a sharp shift in retirements, with economic effects.

Part of this is our terrible corporate culture not adjusting. 40 hour weeks or nothing is not optimal options to give 70 yo workers. Part time work/semi-retirement needs to be more common.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I made sure I had plenty of 17 you money when I had enough!!
I had a target figure for each year before social security, I added 50% to that figure and that was my goal. It’s a good thing that I added that 50% because a big chunk of it disappeared in 21 and 22. 23 has been a rebound year but I’m still behind where I was. Honestly, access to affordable healthcare is as important as money in the bank when you start considering retirement prior to Medicare.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I shocked a lot of people when I retired.

A friend said I was a staple where I worked.

My response: Staples rust.
People told me I'd just find another job. After 6 months of retirement my response is, "hold my beer." I just can't explain how much I'm enjoying retirement.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
You also know my thoughts about your situation: You're in a great place and it’s Mississippi’s loss you’re not here but the Negatives of you being back home massively outweigh your Current Positives.

It's about lifestyle. Mississippi has some things I love about it but falls short in a day-to-day lifestyle. The Coast is the closest that has the level of diversity I would need to keep me interested.

Apropos of your last sentence, I brought up institutional knowledge when chatting with @johnson86-1 in another thread earlier this week.

As long as you train and communicate with people, provide them with the info they need to do their jobs, and be available when and if they have questions, things should be okay.

My former office has had significant turnover this past year.

A co-worker left just before my former supervisor moved up a level to upper administration.

People hired for those vacant positions arrived shortly before I made my move.

I did some prep work training folks, introducing them to people they needed to know, and making sure procedure forms were updated.

I had phone calls and messages from them the first couple months after I left but they’ve become more comfortable as they’ve become familiar with my previous duties.

I don’t really expect them to ask me any more about work-related issues they have but I’ll still help them if needed.
There is an important assumption here: The departing person has to actually care about the organization (and the people) it is leaving behind.

You were a good steward of the organization. I've seen some up and leave and actually relish in watching the effect of wake(s) they created. This is problematic in the private and public sectors.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
I do think it's partly generational, and that when all young Boomers/old Gen Xers (50ish) sitting on large 401k balances and plenty of home equity start getting to those tax breaks for retiring at 55, combined with the older Boomers just getting too old to keep this **** up, we may see a sharp shift in retirements, with economic effects.
What would those tax breaks be? Only one I'm familiar with is the Rule of 55.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Part of this is our terrible corporate culture not adjusting. 40 hour weeks or nothing is not optimal options to give 70 yo workers. Part time work/semi-retirement needs to be more common.

The first CEO at my previous location was a child of the Depression and I understood his thinking really well because that’s my father’s generation. Several co-workers younger than me didn’t particularly like his attitudes when it came to pay especially in the first decade I was there. It got better as the executives became younger.

People told me I'd just find another job. After 6 months of retirement my response is, "hold my beer." I just can't explain how much I'm enjoying retirement.

I’m really liking working in the private nonprofit sector drawing retirement from the state.

I’d been nickeled and dimed for years. And now I’m in a situation where I can save more money— but all these unexpected projects come up.

I guess I made the move just in time. 😂

I feel energized so far and would like to keep doing this for another 9 years or so.

It's about lifestyle. Mississippi has some things I love about it but falls short in a day-to-day lifestyle. The Coast is the closest that has the level of diversity I would need to keep me interested.
Yeah. A lot of people here have said that there are a lot of things about the rural Mississippi lifestyle they love.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Yeah, folks know my thoughts too… 😂

There is an important assumption here: The departing person has to actually care about the organization (and the people) it is leaving behind.

You were a good steward of the organization. I've seen some up and leave and actually relish in watching the effect of wake(s) they created. This is problematic in the private and public sectors.
I worked there over 20 years and was the longest tenured in my department when I left so I had better care a little bit 😂

I knew there would be several new people and also a co-worker who had to adjust to new responsibilities as director.

I began the whole succession process several months in advance and that meant everyone in my office knew I was looking to leave.

The previous director (who had already informed us of retirement plans) asked me to do so when I applied for another non-state agency position a little over a year ago.

And after my new supervisor interviewed for the position, I mentioned my plans too.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
What would those tax breaks be? Only one I'm familiar with is the Rule of 55.
Also SEPP. Not strictly limited to 55, just gets a lot more feasible around then. Makes it easy to bridge the gap to 59.5.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login