Buy/Sell.. the portal has become more important than national signing day.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Huge buy and I really feel bad for the 3 star type hs recruits and lower. No team is taking a flyer on an average high school kid when you can get a guy that's been in a college strength program and has film showing what they can/can't do at a higher level already

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Buy. Definitely more 2023 starters coming and going in the portal than in. HS / JUCO.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Buy. Also buy that I'm liking this whole portal, free transfers, and NIL world we're in a lot less than I even liked recruiting. And I didn't like recruiting. It's killing college athletics.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Buy, listened to a radio show on the way in to work where they were saying the portal is going to hurt high school and Junior College recruiting. As someone said, you can get a player that is ready to go from the portal while high school and Jr. college players still need some development and direction to achieve the level of play expected.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I'll Buy.. because it doesn't matter who you sign. It only matters who you keep.
I’d be highly interested in seeing the NIL breakdown for $ spent on HS prospects vs portal guys in about 5 years. I don’t know what it looks like today, but I could easily see the pendulum swinging over to the portal group very soon.

Why in the world would you burn $3-5m on unproven 18-year olds that aren’t ready to contribute and that may bolt after a year or two anyway when you can go snag immediate gap fillers?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'll Buy.. because it doesn't matter who you sign. It only matters who you keep.
If there is no limit on portal signs, then easy buy. If they would leave it at only being able to sign 25 a year, or maybe up to an additional 7 a year provided you have that many voluntary transfers (like I think it was for a year), I think signing day is still slightly more important.

THe unlimited mess really pisses me off. They are acting like it's for the players that aren't getting scholarships, but that's ********. There are plenty of walkons that would love to have those scholarships. If a player gives up the scholarship he has in order to try and get something better, that's no tragedy. They weren't happy with what they had and tried something else. If they end up regretting their decision, that's just the way life works; that's not limited to football.

The unlimited signing options are just being pushed because they would benefit the blue bloods and schools with money.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Buy and I hate it. I like following recruiting. I like watching a player come in and become a starter and see their progress for 3 or 4 years. Those days are over tho it seems. Soon we will have a completely different group of guys every year and that ruins college football

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Buy. Also buy that I'm liking this whole portal, free transfers, and NIL world we're in a lot less than I even liked recruiting. And I didn't like recruiting. It's killing college athletics.
As I was making my post about memorabilia the other day, I was thinking about all the stuff that I need to hunt down from the 80s and 90s. So many fond memories of State players, coaches, and broadcasters

I then started to think about things I’d want from the last decade, and quite honestly… aside from baseball, I couldn’t think of much. I still love watching the games, but the charm of certain players/coaches being dawgs for life has pretty much evaporated

patdog

May 28, 2007
As I was making my post about memorabilia the other day, I was thinking about all the stuff that I need to hunt down from the 80s and 90s. So many fond memories of State players, coaches, and broadcasters

I then started to think about things I’d want from the last decade, and quite honestly… aside from baseball, I couldn’t think of much. I still love watching the games, but the charm of certain players/coaches being dawgs for life has pretty much evaporated
It's quickly becoming a game where the fans are going to learn not to care about or like any of the players because they're going to figure out pretty quickly that if you do, you're just going to get burned. I didn't give a crap that Heath transferred out. But Rara, Woody and Dillon were 3 of my favorite players. Those are going to hurt a little. I'll learn not to get invested in our players, which will inventively lead to being less invested in MSU football or sports in general. I suspect it will be like that for a lot of fans. Not just at MSU, but nationwide.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I really feel bad for the 3 star type hs recruits and lower. No team is taking a flyer on an average high school kid when you can get a guy that's been in a college strength program and has film showing what they can/can't do at a higher level already
This sentiment is what I don't understand though. The covid year is muddying things up - there are a ton of players who've gotten an extra year, which means an equal number of hs kids aren't getting signed. But that part has nothing to do with the portal. It would happen regardless. Once that runs it's course - we're still going to have 11,000 FBS football players. There are still going to be ~2500 hs players needed every year to fill roster spots.

I would agree the power conference teams are less likely to sign those borderline guys, but they are still going to have a shot at playing college football. What's going to happen is the group of 5 schools are going to become the developmental league for the power 5. Lower rated recruits will have to sign at group of 5 schools and prove themselves before transferring up. But there's still going to be just as many hs signees as before once all the covid players are flushed through. No school is going to be playing with an 80% full roster.

Reactions: grimedawg1

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think it's just another tool at the coaches disposal. The new rules certainly add complexity to managing 18-22 yo players, but the ones who don't listen to sound advice, will likely still not listen to sound advice. They just have a new way to escape if the going gets tough. I fully expect some of those who transfer out of any program to do better in the new place and give the fans left behind a lot of angst, but my take is that those players, if they are smart, see it as one of their last chances to make it. That means they likely do things for the new program they didn't do at the current and it may very well mean that they bring a new attitude with them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login