California legislators vote to repeal LGBTQ travel ban…

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
The biblical definition of faith is "the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." When you start trying to use human logic and anecdotal circumstantial info to deconstruct a core tenant of Christianity, you are proving my point that you aren't grasping the concept of faith. That's why Christ calls on Christians to have a faith that is "childlike."

You can choose to not believe the king james bible is the inspired word of God. That's you're right. But you can't be a Christian if you don't believe it. You can't be half-in, half-out. And when pseudo-intellectuals like you try to talk down to people with your FaCTs ANd LogiC!1!, you're really doing nothing more than grandstanding and wasting your time. So my gentle advice to you is to be a better human being.
Who gave you the authority to claim that?

Reactions: lasher8

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
If only there was a book you could read on this subject....

I'll let preacherdawg take it from here.
Just to be clear...you stated that the only way to be a Christian is to believe king james bible is the inspired word of God. You need to expand on that statement since you followed it with some pretty significant judgment. Define inspired. Do I have to believe it's inerrant if inspired? How do I reconcile contradictions, translation, and historical context? Am I allowed to read books outside of the accepted canon or did God speak to the councils and weeded out the garbage? Can I use other translations or are those not inspired or qualify for the Christian label?

Your snark is fine for sports and politics but you really should be clear when judging other humans spirituality and judging whether they can be called Christians or not.

Reactions: lasher8

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
"In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God. And the Word was God." - John 1:1.

It's not a cafeteria where you can pick and choose which things you like and which things you don't. Which parts you believe and which parts are ridiculous. If you reject any part of it, you reject all of it.

I'm no better than anyone else, so you can stop that nonsense. Nothing about me is perfect. But I didn't invent the rainy day, either. You can choose to believe what you want.
"In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God. And the Word was God." - John 1:1.

Rambling nonsensical post; copying and pasting random verses IS IN FACT YOUR cherry-picking which "part you believe and which parts are ridiculous."

It's not a cafeteria where you can pick and choose which things you like and which things you don't. Which parts you believe and which parts are ridiculous. If you reject any part of it, you reject all of it.

But it is; and you are doing exactly that, the very definition of cherry-picking. Grasping random verses across the bible that have nothing to do with each other and putting them together to push your narrative and agenda is the very essence of grabbing random things from a cafeteria.

Please dispense with the apologetics; they are irrelevant.

Reactions: ckDOG

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I'm no better than anyone else, so you can stop that nonsense. Nothing about me is perfect. But I didn't invent the rainy day, either. You can choose to believe what you want.
Do leave any room for men to have misinterpreted, not fully understood context, or outright abused the Bible? I do. I need only look at the number of proclaiming "Christians" who love Trump to see a contemporary example. I need only look at countless historical examples to find examples throughout history.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Now do Islam regarding homophobia.
Is anyone debating Islam's stance and behavior towards homosexuals?

"Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one's first feeling, 'Thank God, even they aren't quite so bad as that,' or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible? If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally we shall insist on seeing everything -- God and our friends and ourselves included -- as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed for ever in a universe of pure hatred," - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Once we as a nation begin to realize that a small minority of people deploy online brand attacks against your companies for not rewarding and celebrating gender dysphoria, a listed mental illness in the The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders list....

Maybe stop the brand terrorism

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Is anyone debating Islam's stance and behavior towards homosexuals?

"Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one's first feeling, 'Thank God, even they aren't quite so bad as that,' or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible? If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally we shall insist on seeing everything -- God and our friends and ourselves included -- as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed for ever in a universe of pure hatred," - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
Nice quote. Few of those with stereotypes of Christians and are willling to bring up other beliefs. (Please don't bring up "whataboutism.") Plus, I don't think Cali has any prohibitions on publicly funding travel to majority Muslim countries. No hypocrisy there. None at all. Thus, my previous comment. And somehow critics accuse Christians of picking and choosing verses that suit their interpretations. Looks like Cali is choosing which people to stigmatize as immoral and unacceptable rather than applying a standard policy to all travel for state employees.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Nice quote. Few of those with stereotypes of Christians and are willling to bring up other beliefs. (Please don't bring up "whataboutism.") Plus, I don't think Cali has any prohibitions on publicly funding travel to majority Muslim countries. No hypocrisy there. None at all. Thus, my previous comment. And somehow critics accuse Christians of picking and choosing verses that suit their interpretations. Looks like Cali is choosing which people to stigmatize as immoral and unacceptable rather than applying a standard policy to all travel for state employees.
well i don't expect coherent policy out of the people "we've" elected

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
From The Hill article:

"[California state Sen. Toni Atkins (D)] in a June op-ed wrote that while banning state-funded travel to states with anti-LGBTQ laws was “the right thing to do” in 2016, continuing to do so is no longer an effective — or sustainable — way to take a stand against such legislation.

It has also led to unintended consequences, Atkins and other state Democrats have argued.

“In many instances, the travel ban has inadvertently caused California to isolate its services and citizens in a time when we are leading the nation in ensuring inclusivity and freedom,” Democratic Assembly member Rick Zbur, the former executive director of the LGBTQ rights group Equality California, said Monday on the Assembly floor.

“If something is not working, I think it’s imperative on us to be able to switch gears,” said Assembly member Chris Ward, a Democrat and vice chairman of the Legislature’s LGBTQ Caucus. “This bill is going to be able to provide that support and nurturing that I know a lot of our fellow Americans are lacking right now.”

The bill now heads to Newsom, who has until Oct. 14 to decide whether to sign it into law."

Reactions: HanginFree

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I think they passed a separate ban for any state that prohibited municipalities and/or counties from creating their own EEOC type ordinances making LGTQRS++ a protected class. I think states the states that din't have LGTQRS++ as a protected class but didn't pass any new legislation on it were not included.

Not that it ever really made sense, but when the legislation from the Supreme Court came down making LGBTQ++ a protected class under federal law, the state laws mostly became irrelevant.

Here's some info on why the original travel ban law was passed (from The Hill article):

"[California state Sen. Toni Atkins (D)] bill seeks to repeal a 2016 law prohibiting California from sponsoring travel to states with anti-LGBTQ laws to “avoid supporting or financing discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.”

The original law — Assembly Bill 1887 — was passed in response to North Carolina’s 2016 passage of House Bill 2, a controversial measure that banned transgender people from using public restrooms matching their gender identity. The North Carolina law, which sparked widespread backlash and nearly cost the state billions of dollars in lost business, was partially repealed in 2017 and fully repealed in 2020.

Since 2016, the list of states subject to California’s ban on state-funded travel has ballooned to 26, preventing state workers — including university professors and elected officials — from visiting more than half the country on state-sponsored trips."

26 states are subject to the current ban. Interesting . . .

Last edited:

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
The biblical definition of faith is "the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." When you start trying to use human logic and anecdotal circumstantial info to deconstruct a core tenant of Christianity, you are proving my point that you aren't grasping the concept of faith. That's why Christ calls on Christians to have a faith that is "childlike."

You can choose to not believe the king james bible is the inspired word of God. That's you're right. But you can't be a Christian if you don't believe it. You can't be half-in, half-out. And when pseudo-intellectuals like you try to talk down to people with your FaCTs ANd LogiC!1!, you're really doing nothing more than grandstanding and wasting your time. So my gentle advice to you is to be a better human being.
Just curious why you reference the King James Version specifically? Or am I reading too much into the reference of a specific translation and it was a blanket statement for the Bible?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Do leave any room for men to have misinterpreted, not fully understood context, or outright abused the Bible? I do. I need only look at the number of proclaiming "Christians" who love Trump to see a contemporary example. I need only look at countless historical examples to find examples throughout history.
Man I feel like I see things the way you do on a lot of stuff, but Trump triggers you something fierce. It seems unhealthy. When I read your posts about Trump, this is all I can picture:
1694658290077.jpeg
Forget Mayor, I’m voting Mongo for President

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
This is a religious argument, but it's not the religion you think.

This is about the religion of virtue-signaling so long as it's convenient and serves a useful club to pummel political opponents with. When the club is no longer useful, it's discarded or explained away.

The end.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Primary sin in Sodom was heterosexual men sexually abusing foreigners (male and female). Hence the reason the angels were invited inside to stay inside. The whole offering of one's own daughters to be raped in their stead is pretty hard to look at...
Gonna need your sources on this. And if you say the Bible go ahead and list the scripture for me.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is a religious argument, but it's not the religion you think.

This is about the religion of virtue-signaling so long as it's convenient and serves a useful club to pummel political opponents with. When the club is no longer useful, it's discarded or explained away.

The end.
So...it's normal politics where inconsistency is ignored or justified. Gotcha.

I read your post and because of the 'explained away' part, I immediately thought of the absurd storm brewing in Wisconsin where the right is collecting support to impeach an elected Supreme Court Judge who was just elected and hasn't even heard a case on the issue she may be impeached over.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Just to be clear...you stated that the only way to be a Christian is to believe king james bible is the inspired word of God. You need to expand on that statement since you followed it with some pretty significant judgment. Define inspired. Do I have to believe it's inerrant if inspired? How do I reconcile contradictions, translation, and historical context? Am I allowed to read books outside of the accepted canon or did God speak to the councils and weeded out the garbage? Can I use other translations or are those not inspired or qualify for the Christian label?

Your snark is fine for sports and politics but you really should be clear when judging other humans spirituality and judging whether they can be called Christians or not.
I'm not getting in a theology debate on here. I said what I believe. You're free to believe what you want to believe. But the Bible is pretty clear on all of this. When you call into question any little bit of it, then you have to call into question all of it. A foundational tenant of Christianity is that the Holy Bible is the irrefutable Word of God. It's why you carry it with you to church (if you go), and it's why preachers preach from it and quote it. Once you start advocating theories for why certain things in the Bible are not applicable today in support of something that's in direct conflict with what it says, you're jumping the shark. And I'm not judging. I'm doing what we all as Christians are called to do. That's something else folks like to lean into when they get hyper defensive because they've been force to face an inconvenient truth: they accuse the other of judging. Judging requires condemnation, and I didn't do that. I'm just telling you what I believe. If it creates a conviction inside you, that's between you and God.

/out

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Here's some info on why the original travel ban law was passed (from The Hill article):

"[California state Sen. Toni Atkins (D)] bill seeks to repeal a 2016 law prohibiting California from sponsoring travel to states with anti-LGBTQ laws to “avoid supporting or financing discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.”

The original law — Assembly Bill 1887 — was passed in response to North Carolina’s 2016 passage of House Bill 2, a controversial measure that banned transgender people from using public restrooms matching their gender identity. The North Carolina law, which sparked widespread backlash and nearly cost the state billions of dollars in lost business, was partially repealed in 2017 and fully repealed in 2020.

Since 2016, the list of states subject to California’s ban on state-funded travel has ballooned to 26, preventing state workers — including university professors and elected officials — from visiting more than half the country on state-sponsored trips."

26 states are subject to the current ban. Interesting . . .
It included 26 states because they are dishonest about what constitutes anti-lgbtq laws. It's quite the stretch to call the NOrth Carolina Bill anti-LGBQT. The "public" restrooms referenced are not any restrooms in public places, they are restrooms in government owned and operated facilities. The de facto policy (single sex bathrooms for multi-occupancy facilities, unless you can pass) was no longer acceptable to some people, so they had to make an explicit policy of having single sex bathrooms or not. Choosing to continue to have single sex bathrooms isn't exactly anti-lgbqt. They didn't prohibit any facilities from having single occupancy facilities open to either sex. Pretty sure they didn't prohibit any private entity from enacting their preferred bathroom policies in their facilities. They just prevented local governments from dictating the bathroom policies of private entities.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
@horshack.sixpack still waiting on those scriptures
Oh for science's sake, you can google it using key words. Here, Genesis Chapters 18 and 19. and here's a link:

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I am just here to comment on how great Bibby looks in horns. That being said, continue the blood bath over whatever it is you guys are arguing about now.

Reactions: paindonthurt

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm not getting in a theology debate on here. I said what I believe. You're free to believe what you want to believe. But the Bible is pretty clear on all of this. When you call into question any little bit of it, then you have to call into question all of it. A foundational tenant of Christianity is that the Holy Bible is the irrefutable Word of God. It's why you carry it with you to church (if you go), and it's why preachers preach from it and quote it. Once you start advocating theories for why certain things in the Bible are not applicable today in support of something that's in direct conflict with what it says, you're jumping the shark. And I'm not judging. I'm doing what we all as Christians are called to do. That's something else folks like to lean into when they get hyper defensive because they've been force to face an inconvenient truth: they accuse the other of judging. Judging requires condemnation, and I didn't do that. I'm just telling you what I believe. If it creates a conviction inside you, that's between you and God.

/out
So you're going to place a qualifier on being a Christian (previously quoted and more offered above), pass on a debate, and then preach and condescend? That's very convenient for you.

I have a great response for that. Go **** yourself.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Oh for science's sake, you can google it using key words. Here, Genesis Chapters 18 and 19. and here's a link:

@horshack.sixpack
I’m no theologian but I just read those chapters again. I’d estimate 6 or 7 times maybe more in my life now.

Those chapters don’t say what he said.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So you're going to place a qualifier on being a Christian (previously quoted and more offered above), pass on a debate, and then preach and condescend? That's very convenient for you.

There is one qualifier to being a Christian. Believing Jesus Christ is the son of god and accepting him as your lord and savior.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I'm sorry that you're taking this so hard. Maybe there's a book you could read that would bring you some solace.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
There’s a button for that.
I know. I have had him on ignore for quiet awhile. I would probably tolerate it if he ever actually commented on anything sports related but he never says anything unless he has an opportunity to stir up controversy promoting his agenda. Life is too short to waste it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I know. I have had him on ignore for quiet awhile. I would probably tolerate it if he ever actually commented on anything sports related but he never says anything unless he has an opportunity to stir up controversy promoting his agenda. Life is too short to waste it.
I don’t have him on ignore bc it’s entertaining.

I don’t mind a different view point but straight lies or moving the goal posts is something that’s extremely hilarious to me.

Reactions: LOTRGOTDAWGFAN
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login