Cam Smith Joins LIV Golf for $140 Million

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Can't blame him, that type of money is life changing.

This is getting more and more interesting and the PGA tour field is getting weaker.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I think I now know who that “17 you” on 18 at the British was aimed at.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Cam is so short-sighted. He could win numerous majors in the next few years and make more money than he can spend in a lifetime. LIV just lost its first case in court. The long and short is that they will lose more court cases. LIV is a choice. The PGA is on solid ground that you allow people to take the Saudi Money and play on their tour, but if you do, you cannot play for them. The suspension does not deprive them of a chance to make a living, which is the standard anti-trust cause for redress. I hate to see him go, but he’s going out rich, but playing in majors in the future will be hard for a LIV player, since world ranking is based on competition-based tournament play.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Or he could take $140M and give everyone the middle finger and live in Tahiti the rest of his life and never work again.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Does this thing have any intention of making money? Of course I cant imagine watching anything thats not a major or the Ryder Cup

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don’t think the majors have banned LIV players. Did I miss that? I thought the only thing meaningful to bam LIV players was the Ryder Cup, which doesn’t affect him anyway.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I tried to watch a LIV event several weeks ago and it seemed like a Jerry Springer production, especially the award ceremony. Our culture is rapidly going down the sh!tter chasing more, more, more money.

It’s time for me to go to the forest…

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Cam will be banned as soon as he signs with LIV, which is supposed to happen after the FexEx Championsip in Atlanta. He will be disqualified from the President’s Cup, which takes place in early October. The big issue for LIV golfers is World Ranking. That’s how you qualify automatically for two majors. The Master’s is by invitation only (if your aren’t ranked you won’t be invited). The PGA is members only. D. Johnson, Sergio, and Patrick Reed resigned from the tour; the rest are suspended for two years.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
17-em
Not watching nor do I want to watch silly golf on some streaming channel.
Those who stay on the Tour have my respect and TV viewing time and the occasional ability to be on course at tourney’s in Augusta, Memphis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Palm Beach Gdns, etc.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The also invite

Past major winners for various length of times depending on the major. He just won a major.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’m with you. I look at it this way.
On one side you have Shark, FIGJAM, Reed, Bryson, and ******* Pat Perez.
On the other you have Tiger, Couples, J.T., DL3, and Rory.
I like the second group a lot better.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Well it is the Saudis. These are the same people who are about to build an entire city in the middle of the desert near the Red Sea.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Thats quite the flip by Freddie Couples because he used to complain quite a bit about the PGA Tour.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
In that court case it was revealed that all the money is up front. So all the big names that get the 100mill. Your prize money goes against that 100mill. It’s just an exhibition with really rich people playing golf. Harlem Globtrotters without the dunks

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
17-em
Not watching nor do I want to watch silly golf on some streaming channel.
Those who stay on the Tour have my respect and TV viewing time and the occasional ability to be on course at tourney’s in Augusta, Memphis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Palm Beach Gdns, etc.
This seams to be a big disconnect. I don’t think LIV intends to be a tour like the PGA Tour. It’s a glorified version of “The Match” or the other golf exhibitions. People watch them for their entertainment value. It likely would’ve run its course and been dead within a couple years had the PGA tour basically ignored it. The guy running the PGA tour has put on a master class on how to make a mountain out of a mole hill. He’s also made many of his top players a ton of money while reducing the value of his organization. How does he still have a job?

patdog

May 28, 2007
The PGA also may be encouraging the LIV to grow into an alternate tour. If so, that's the end of PGA professional golf. The PGA's handling of this is a textbook example of everything NOT to do.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I don’t think the majors have banned LIV players. Did I miss that? I thought the only thing meaningful to bam LIV players was the Ryder Cup, which doesn’t affect him anyway.
The issue is that most players qualify for majors via their Official World Golf Ranking. As of now, LIV events don't receive OWGR points, so if that's all you're playing outside of majors, your ranking will plummet.

This isn't as much of an issue for Cam Smith, though, because he just won the Open, which gets him into every Open until he's 60 and every other major for 5 years.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
It likely would’ve run its course and been dead within a couple years had the PGA tour basically ignored it. The guy running the PGA tour has put on a master class on how to make a mountain out of a mole hill. He’s also made many of his top players a ton of money while reducing the value of his organization. How does he still have a job?
They said the exact same thing about Chelsea and Manchester City and the EPL a decade or two ago. That guy has obviously paid attention to what happens when oil money invades a sport.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. This isn't about making money. These people have got more money than they could possibly spend. It's nothing for them to spend billions on a hobby for fun.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
The PGA also may be encouraging the LIV to grow into an alternate tour. If so, that's the end of PGA professional golf. The PGA's handling of this is a textbook example of everything NOT to do.

The more major players that leave the PGA, the more it will become an inferior product.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
So you think the PGAT should have let the LIV players go back and forth w/o consequences? This new league is no mole hill. They have endless money.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So you think the PGAT should have let the LIV players go back and forth w/o consequences? This new league is no mole hill. They have endless money.

The could have tried to have it be more like WGC. Not sure if LIV would have been interested in that, but PGA could have tried to negotiate for a lesser number of tournaments, say 5 yearly (2 in off season and 3 spread through season?) and allowing PGA members to play freely in them in exchange for LIV restriction on expanding past those 5 tournaments. Saudi's could have had their own worldwide Mini-tour with the best of the best and only had to promise some guaranteed payouts instead of committing a billion dollars to it. Could have potentially broken even on it.

But again, no clue if that would have scratched their itch.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Cam will be banned as soon as he signs with LIV, which is supposed to happen after the FexEx Championsip in Atlanta. He will be disqualified from the President’s Cup, which takes place in early October. The big issue for LIV golfers is World Ranking. That’s how you qualify automatically for two majors. The Master’s is by invitation only (if your aren’t ranked you won’t be invited). The PGA is members only. D. Johnson, Sergio, and Patrick Reed resigned from the tour; the rest are suspended for two years.

Don't think the PGA is members only? The PGA is not put on by the tour but by PGA of America. THey hold 20 spots for club pros, who obviously aren't members of the tour. Think they have the same types of exemptions as other majors (e.g., past winners) also.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Im not sure it’s a zero sum game. The pga would get worse and the alternative is some Rock N Jock mini tour where players appear to have no incentive to win. Its just bad for golf all around.

Aug 24, 2012
I know Freddy. He never had a beef with the PGA Tour. I also have family that know Greg Norman quite well. No one liked him when he was on tour. They respected him but had no friends on tour. He's going to need to rent pallbearer's at his funeral. I am surprised to see Freddy come out and say this publicly. The PGA Tour is a pretty small fraternity whether your current or a past member. This whole LIV deal has created quite the **** show.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
How’s their current plan working out?

Top players are still playing on LIV, but they aren’t playing on the PGA Tour at all. The PGA Tour was acting like they had a strong hand while holding pocket 6’s and then went all-in after the flop came out Ace, Ace, King by trying to strong arm the top players. If they don’t forbid players from playing a few LIV exhibitions, the Saudis are less likely to shell out the stupid money they are. Even if they still did, the PGA is better off with part time top players, than without them.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
They are enforcing the agreement those players signed. But in today's world many think those agreements mean ****.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
They are enforcing the agreement those players signed. But in today's world many think those agreements mean ****.

That’s the Gordon Gecko efficient market ******** taught to us in McCool and business schools everywhere back in the 1980s - it was the seedbed for where are today.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
It's the rules/bylaws the players wrote over the years and continued to approve. It's a players tour not a government run one like the LIV.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I mean they gave $140 million to a meth dealer from Gordo Alabama. Mullet, check. Flat billed cap, check. Chocolate milk mustache, check. I can’t look at him without thinking of an episode of COPs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login