Came across this on my way to bushhog this afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Was north of Edwards just off the Big Black today and saw this 4 ft guy laying in the road. I rolled over him THREE times in my pickup and he slithered off into the woods like it was nothin'......this is one reason I don't bow hunt.

View attachment 24985

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm not a snake lover by any means, but if in an unpopulated area I let them leave. They are great rodent control and rodents cause much more damage than snakes. I never kill non venomous snakes.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not a snake lover by any means, but if in an unpopulated area I let them leave. They are great rodent control and rodents cause much more damage than snakes. I never kill non venomous snakes.

I'd prefer not to kill any snakes. They're very handy to have around, as long as you don't step on one or have one fall into your boat.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That one is a canebreak/timber rattler sport. As he was bushhogging, it is likely it was in a not populated area.

How did you manage to be a Mississippi State fan without spending any time in Mississippi? Lots of people bush hog around their house. Hell, it's not uncommon to have a bushhogged area next to a hotel or gas station or other commercial place in lots of Mississippi.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
If you ever come up on a black king snake (they get pretty big. About the size of a rat snake), leave it be. They'll take care of the venomous snakes on your property like a boss. We killed a copperhead and a 10 rattle and a button diamondback a couple of weeks ago. Got young kids, so don't want those around. Also, keep a little bit of food out for a couple of stray cats. Not enough to nourish them. Just enough to keep them around. They'll keep snakes away too

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Stray/outdoor cats are awesome

Also, keep a little bit of food out for a couple of stray cats. Not enough to nourish them. Just enough to keep them around. They'll keep snakes away too

Kill all sorts of pests. Moles, chipmunks, squirrels. My neighbor has a ton of them. Love those things.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If it’s a venomous snake and it’s near somewhere that I’m going to be working it’s dying But if its a non-venomous snake like a chicken snake a rat snake roll on brother. We have a 6 foot chicken snake that lives in one of our sheds and helps take care of the rats.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
How did you manage to be a Mississippi State fan without spending any time in Mississippi? Lots of people bush hog around their house. Hell, it's not uncommon to have a bushhogged area next to a hotel or gas station or other commercial place in lots of Mississippi.
I have two acres that I mow, and around 5-6 that I bushhog that connects to my yard. I’m lowering my bushhog on that thing to make sure it’s exterminated

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015

I bush hog my yard. For real

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
As an old guy who has spent some time in the farm equipment business I can't let this thread pass without saying: Guys PLEASE be careful when you're using your "bush hog". They are very effective but there are more damn ways to get SERIOUSLY hurt (or killed) using one than any other piece of farm equipment...... Now get your bush hog off my lawn !

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I prefer to leave non venomous ones alone, I really do as long as they are visible and identifiable from a distance. However, when I open a file cabinet drawer in my shop to reach in and grab some drill bits and there's a 6' rat snake draped all over the inside of the drawer, I don't appreciate it one bit. I also have 1 less pair of boxer shorts too, figure it out.......

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I prefer to leave non venomous ones alone, I really do as long as they are visible and identifiable from a distance. However, when I open a file cabinet drawer in my shop to reach in and grab some drill bits and there's a 6' rat snake draped all over the inside of the drawer, I don't appreciate it one bit. I also have 1 less pair of boxer shorts too, figure it out.......
I've never come across a venomous snake that surprised me, but those damn rat snakes are FAMOUS for it. You can walk right up on those guys and they'll just look at you. Of course, probably because I'm generally looking for the venomous ones while in the woods and going through piles and such.

Rat snakes just like to hang out I guess. I've had a few I've named, they hang around so much. Black runners too.

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Serious question - are you saying people fool are with them with the bushhog is engaged? If so, damn....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Came across a big one like that stretched out on Highway 10 right west of Oak Hill, AL in June 2016 right as the drought was picking up. I swear he was across one whole lane, though obviously that's realistic, just seemed that way. I went right over the top of him, and he sucked in his head and tail and the wheels missed him. Threw on the brakes and went back to get pics because I knew I'd probably never see a canebrake that big again in my life. His head looked like it weighed 25 lbs. by itself. Got a couple of pics before he went into a culvert and all I could do was look around and feel sorry for anybody that lived close. Good thing was, not much civilization out that way, that's deep woods country.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I don't kill any snakes. Dang near stepped on a four foot timber rattler in Warren County earlier this summer. My foot was literally inches from his head and he never moved. That was a whoa moment there.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
If it is nonvenomous in my yard I leave it be. I've seen several rat snakes, king snakes, and black racers. Rat snakes will flat out embarrass a cat on rodent control effectiveness. But since I have two kids and 12lbs ball of fur that is usually oblivious to his surroundings, if I see a venomous snake in my yard then I hope his heart is right with the Lord. Now at my grandparents old farm I'm quite prone to adopt a live and let live policy to whatever snake I happen upon which down there is normally a cottonmouth.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
I've never come across a venomous snake that surprised me, but those damn rat snakes are FAMOUS for it. You can walk right up on those guys and they'll just look at you. Of course, probably because I'm generally looking for the venomous ones while in the woods and going through piles and such.

Rat snakes just like to hang out I guess. I've had a few I've named, they hang around so much. Black runners too.

I had a rat snake fall on me when opening up my shipping container one time. Landed on my head and was draped over my shoulder. Not sure who got more scared him or me.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You’ve never been surprised by a venomous snake because you never knew it was there. Cottonmouths and copperheads aren’t going to move unless they’re provoked. They just wait on you to screw up.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You'd be surprised at how many ways folks get hurt running a "bush hog". Turning PTO's, rollovers, flying debris' limb whips and on and on . Most accidents involve carelessness and either involve somebody who has used them a lot and gotten too comfortable around them or some (not all) weekend warriors who probably shouldn't be operating machinery period.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My wife called me to the bathroom last night while she was in the tub (possible good sign?), only to point to a snake under the vanity for me to "get".

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I don’t kill any snakes. Living on 300 acres that we own and leasing another 600 that joins it for most of my life has taught me that for every snake you run across there are dozens more that you have been within a few feet of that you never see. I’ve never seen a rattlesnake on my place but my place is full of copperheads and the wet areas and ponds on the property have plenty of cottonmouths in them. We have enough king snakes and rat snakes that eat the copperheads and the smaller cottonmouths. We have several cats outside and they also do a good job of keeping snakes away from the house. I have an old Catahoula/bulldog mix that gets bitten by cottonmouths from time to time. He hates a damned cottonmouth-he just loves to go to the ponds and pick fights with them. He will swell up and I will take him to the vet. People in the vets office just shake their heads and they all realize that Hank’s killed another cottonmouth. Damn dog will never learn. I understand that many people have an aversion to snakes and kill them. That’s cool and I totally get that, too.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My wife called me to the bathroom last night while she was in the tub (possible good sign?), only to point to a snake under the vanity for me to "get".

Was it the dreaded manaconda? Cause my wife keeps one under our sink too.

ETA. In Brazil there really is a manaconda... The Atretochoana. Steer clear of this mofo.

View attachment 24988

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You’ve never been surprised by a venomous snake because you never knew it was there. Cottonmouths and copperheads aren’t going to move unless they’re provoked. They just wait on you to screw up.
I spot them all the time, dad. I know my way around the woods in the summertime.

I'm not surprised because I expect them, especially when I'm in places where I know they could be.

"Wait on you to screw up". I'm guessing you're one of those types that actually think moccasins are aggressive?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
it was a midland brown snake. No idea how it got in. Likely full grown at about 8" long and pencil thin. I still scooped it up instead of picking it up. I was scarred at an early age by an aggressive green grass snake that latched onto the meat between my......thumb and pointer finger....

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Saw this happen to a cousin of mine in an old carport, but it was a huge king snake that just dropped out of nowhere onto his head/shoulders. He did not understand why that was one of the funniest things I had ever seen! Had another cousin blow several holes in the bottom of a john boat when a copper headed water rattler hopped out of a cypress tree while fishing in an old oxbow off the MS river.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Based on the design of new gas cans, I'd say that most people shouldn't be using whatever they are (slowly) putting gas into. If you need that many safety features on a gas can, put it back on the shelf, go home, and SELL whatever you were about to gas up!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If it is nonvenomous in my yard I leave it be. I've seen several rat snakes, king snakes, and black racers. Rat snakes will flat out embarrass a cat on rodent control effectiveness. But since I have two kids and 12lbs ball of fur that is usually oblivious to his surroundings, if I see a venomous snake in my yard then I hope his heart is right with the Lord. Now at my grandparents old farm I'm quite prone to adopt a live and let live policy to whatever snake I happen upon which down there is normally a cottonmouth.
^^^Trying to hurry that inheritance along^^^**

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I sometimes go to estate sales with wifey. I always go straight to garage/carport/workshop to see if they have any old gas cans.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I admire your ability to be an ******* about every subject all the time. An average man would become exhausted.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I hate those new gas cans with a passion. It's sad when people make youtube videos on how to use those new ones. It shouldn't be any more complicated than popping the plug out in the back to get air flow to push the gas out of the nozzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login