Came across this on my way to bushhog this afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I invariably spill a lot more gasoline with the new cans than I ever did with the old ones. Not sure how this is supposed to be good for the environment.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Based on the design of new gas cans, I'd say that most people shouldn't be using whatever they are (slowly) putting gas into. If you need that many safety features on a gas can, put it back on the shelf, go home, and SELL whatever you were about to gas up!

It's impossible to overstate this.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I stepped on a rattlesnake when I was about 12 years old walking out of a dove field.
My dad was about 6 feet in front of me and to my left and never saw it.
The snake never coiled after I stepped on it but it certainly scared the **** out of me!

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Wow! How did the stomach come into play? Practicing handling for the next church service?***

We were on the creek bank fishing and it came swimming down the creek. For some unknown reason we did not have a gun with us that time. He was in the process of rebaiting his hook so he just his bare hook in the water and snagged it with the intentions of dragging it up on the bank to kill it. When he did that his dog started lunging at it and he didn't want the dog bit so he raised the pole up to get the snake in the air and out of the dog's reach. The snake was then able to get enough momentum hanging from the end of the line to swing in and bite him in the stomach. That night at the hospital was bar none the sickest I've ever seen another human being.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I was just making conversation, *******. Why the 17 do you have to get so defensive about every single thing?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Very glad that story about your grandad turned out ok, but boy is that a reminder that if you don't 17 with a snake they're extremely unlikely to 17 with you.

I'm all about respect and avoidance.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Saw this happen to a cousin of mine in an old carport, but it was a huge king snake that just dropped out of nowhere onto his head/shoulders. He did not understand why that was one of the funniest things I had ever seen! Had another cousin blow several holes in the bottom of a john boat when a copper headed water rattler hopped out of a cypress tree while fishing in an old oxbow off the MS river.

I've seen those common water snakes that everybody calls just about everything of a venomous specie under the sun. Yes, they can be VERY grumpy and "charge" you or your boat if you're in their "territory" and they can drop in your boat at a moments notice. In either case they will beat a hasty retreat when they actually get close.

I didn't have too many problems with snakes in the boat as much as I did occasionally bumping into a red wasp nest in flooded timber.

We also used to have a problem on our own property in Mississippi with venomous snakes. We had about 10 acres in about three or four of it that we could actually use. The funny thing is a big old female speckled king snake took up residence near our shop and once she showed up all the rest of the snakes disappeared. I don't think she ate them all I think they just were trying to avoid her. Just before we sold the place to move to Texas she actually took up with a mate.

Last edited:

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
DEAD....one of the trifecta....

Three snakes I will kill: cotton mouth, copper head, rattlesnake.....in the last three years, ive been struck at by cotton mouth twice, copper head once, and my (then) 9yo son was riding his youth 4 wheeler as was stuck at by a cotton mouth.....we have a problem on our farm I think....Copper heads are the worst because they dont even give you the heads up like a rattler or cotton mouth.....

every other snake i let live.....although, those black runners have pissed me off enough to show them the wrath of The Judge before....

Was north of Edwards just off the Big Black today and saw this 4 ft guy laying in the road. I rolled over him THREE times in my pickup and he slithered off into the woods like it was nothin'......this is one reason I don't bow hunt.

View attachment 24985

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Three snakes I will kill: cotton mouth, copper head, rattlesnake.....in the last three years, ive been struck at by cotton mouth twice, copper head once, and my (then) 9yo son was riding his youth 4 wheeler as was stuck at by a cotton mouth.....we have a problem on our farm I think....Copper heads are the worst because they dont even give you the heads up like a rattler or cotton mouth.....

every other snake i let live.....although, those black runners have pissed me off enough to show them the wrath of The Judge before....

Back to the farm again...the mailbox was about a 1/4 mile from the house. When they first built the house and were living out there they had bean poles leaning against the fence about every 50' because they saw so many copperheads they wanted to always have a stick handy to kill them with. Our cottonmouths, even today, are just plain mean. We've had different people over the years down trapping beavers and they've all said we have the meanest, most aggressive, cottonmouths they've ever seen. To my knowledge, a rattlesnake has never been seen on the property.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I've never come across a venomous snake that surprised me, but those damn rat snakes are FAMOUS for it. You can walk right up on those guys and they'll just look at you. Of course, probably because I'm generally looking for the venomous ones while in the woods and going through piles and such.

Rat snakes just like to hang out I guess. I've had a few I've named, they hang around so much. Black runners too.
I’ve had 2 “close calls” one was when I was around 10 years old, was basically walking through a jungle to find a hidden pond that had big bass. Walked town the bank and braced myself on a tree, I felt something hit the back of my pump up Reeboks and look down and a moccasin has its fangs stuck in the bottom of my shoe. I literally don’t remember the next 20 seconds except for me being up the bank with a shoe off and checking my foot with no fang marks. We got the shoe back and the snake was gone.
The second incident happened when we were walking back from Santa Rosa sound catching Redfish at dusk. I almost stepped on this snake and at the time I could not remember the rhyme fast enough so until I got my wits about me I thought that was really close.
View attachment 24992
it was a Scarlett King Snake, but damn that red on black doesn’t catch up to you fast enough.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
I'll only kill the 3 venomous snakes in our area. And only do that if they're around my folks place where they might come in contact with us. If I see a snake in the woods, I'll go around it. This canebrake was about a 9 Iron shot from my folks house in an area they don't use much but they do use. Their 2 dogs, however, are up there all the time. He got away yesterday, good thing is that he headed across the road in the opposite direction of the house. Hope that's that 1st and last time we see him.

ETA: Have a 30 sec vid of him heading into the woods but can't figure out how to move it from my laptop to Sixpack....not sure you can download a video to the site if it doesn't have an URL.

Last edited:

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
My old man was a surveyor

so that meant I was on his crew for many years, going to school/college at the same time. We killed snakes while cutting lines all the time, mostly cottonmouths. I remember the cold chills looking at those wide open mouths. Then of course wasps and yellow jackets just for a gift wrap.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Me and some friends rented a cabin at Clarkco State Park near Quitman for a weekend and were out on the small pier behind the cabin fishing at night. We had a lantern on and were catching a lot of fish even though highly impaired by fermented barley, hops and water. I caught a bream and went to hang it on the stringer that was tied to the pier. Untied the stringer and picked it up and there was a massive cotton mouth locked onto one of the bream already on the stringer. I froze and didn't know whether to **** or get off the pot. Snake started coiling around the entire stringer to hold on and I finally squealed like a girl, dropped the whole stringer, fish, and snake in the lake and quickly made my way to the cabin. I didn't another worm or cricket the entire weekend, didn't even walk back down the path to the lake.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I was just making conversation, *******. Why the 17 do you have to get so defensive about every single thing?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That's a nice tip! I found a fast flow can at Devinney Equipment, but I also have two more 5 gallon ones that really need this spout. Currently i have to pour through the safety spout until it is low enough to just remove the spout and pour from the can.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I’ve had 2 “close calls” one was when I was around 10 years old, was basically walking through a jungle to find a hidden pond that had big bass. Walked town the bank and braced myself on a tree, I felt something hit the back of my pump up Reeboks and look down and a moccasin has its fangs stuck in the bottom of my shoe. I literally don’t remember the next 20 seconds except for me being up the bank with a shoe off and checking my foot with no fang marks. We got the shoe back and the snake was gone.
The second incident happened when we were walking back from Santa Rosa sound catching Redfish at dusk. I almost stepped on this snake and at the time I could not remember the rhyme fast enough so until I got my wits about me I thought that was really close.
View attachment 24992
it was a Scarlett King Snake, but damn that red on black doesn’t catch up to you fast enough.

Yes, the Scarlett King Snake. A beautiful creature. Scary looking by design, and also kinda aggressive in nature. But he's harmless to you and handy to have around.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yep. I assume any snake that surprises me is a copper headed water rattler (homage to Lewis Grizzard) and I act accordingly. If I have time to assess what it is, I'm a little more controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login