Can anyone post a Good Beef Stew Recipe? A chili recipe from the old board that was really good..

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
My wife has been giving me grief about my never cooking dinner. I have (not five minutes ago, incidentally) pointed out to her that I’d cook dinner if she simply told me what to cook, but it might be nice to have my own staple. Beef stew on winter evenings, hard to top that.

Fortheglory612

Nov 2, 2021

Fortheglory612

Nov 2, 2021
In terms of chili, I usually use something similar to this in the crock pot. I add refried beans towards the end if it needs to be thickened, or I lightly purée great northern white beans for the same purpose depending on what I have in the cabinet. I like it thicker than usual though.

Last edited:

Bar2ski

Oct 9, 2021
I have used this Guinness beef stew recipe I saw on Cooks Country Kitchen for many years. Its the best I ever tasted and the family agrees.

Ingredients

3-4 pound chuck roast cut into one inch cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions diced
2 cloves garlic
1\4 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1\4 cup of brown sugar
1 pound carrots, cut in 1\2 inch length
1.5 pound potatoes cut in large cubes
1\2 cup parsley
1 12 oz bottle of Guinness

Cooking directions
Pre heat oven to 325F
Salt and pepper cubed roast liberally
Heat olive oil in dutch oven on medium heat
Add onions and garlic to oil and brown very dark to develop a good fond in the pan
Add flour and tomato paste and stir
Add chicken broth and 1\2 bottle of Guinness to deglaze, stir in brown sugar and heat to almost boiling ( add more brown sugar to taste if you like your stew sweeter)
Add beef and stir, cover , and place in oven for 2 1\2 hours ( Leaving uncovered will brown the meat more, but I suggest you check it after an hour to make sure the meat doesn't brown too much)

After 2 1\5 hours , add carrots, potatoes and the rest of the Guinness
Put back in oven for one hour or until vegetables are tender.
Remove from oven and add parsley as garnish
Serve with nice crusty bread.

Enjoy

Oct 12, 2021
I have used this Guinness beef stew recipe I saw on Cooks Country Kitchen for many years. Its the best I ever tasted and the family agrees.

Ingredients

3-4 pound chuck roast cut into one inch cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions diced
2 cloves garlic
1\4 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1\4 cup of brown sugar
1 pound carrots, cut in 1\2 inch length
1.5 pound potatoes cut in large cubes
1\2 cup parsley
1 12 oz bottle of Guinness

Cooking directions
Pre heat oven to 325F
Salt and pepper cubed roast liberally
Heat olive oil in dutch oven on medium heat
Add onions and garlic to oil and brown very dark to develop a good fond in the pan
Add flour and tomato paste and stir
Add chicken broth and 1\2 bottle of Guinness to deglaze, stir in brown sugar and heat to almost boiling ( add more brown sugar to taste if you like your stew sweeter)
Add beef and stir, cover , and place in oven for 2 1\2 hours ( Leaving uncovered will brown the meat more, but I suggest you check it after an hour to make sure the meat doesn't brown too much)

After 2 1\5 hours , add carrots, potatoes and the rest of the Guinness
Put back in oven for one hour or until vegetables are tender.
Remove from oven and add parsley as garnish
Serve with nice crusty bread.

Enjoy
Yep. I know this one well. It's great.

Reactions: Fortheglory612

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I once had a flat partial bottle of champagne left over after New Years. Used that with lamb in my slow cooker. Best gravy ever.

• Love
Reactions: Hlstone

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
I lived on Dinty Moore at Penn State
Dinty Moore was a luxury item to have. Otherwise it was ramen noodles and Kraft powder mac & cheese. Today it's called food insecurity. Back then it was part of the college experience and education: Learning to live on a small budget.

Reactions: Mr. Potter

flavorguy

Aug 16, 2021
Here's my Chili Recipe. Using this as a base, I have placed in several local Chili competitions (unsanctioned, but hey, still confirms that this is a damn good recipe);

For 4 lbs of Trimmed Meat (I recommend 0.75 " cubed leg of lamb / or 50:50 lamb and course ground beef)

0.75 cup Chili Powder (not a typo)
4 T - H2O
1.5 t Baking Soda
1T Salt

Olive/Canola Oil (as needed)

1 T Ground Cumin

0.75 cups Onion (finely chopped)
6 cloves minced garlic
4 Chipotle Peppers w/Adobo (seeded and minced)

4 Cups Beef Stock
3 Cans drained Black Beans (will not debate beans vs no beans chili - leave them out if you care to)

1) Toss trimmed meat with H2O/baking soda/salt - let rest for 20 minutes (this is important for meat browning in next step)
2) Heat some oil in a large saute pan (or wok). Brown meat in small batches - you want a nice brown crust to develop - this may take 3-4 batches to properly brown all meat. Transfer each browned batch to a bowl. Add oil as needed for each batch but try not to completely clean pan.
3) After meat is browned, sweat onions (w/ more oil if needed) in this pan. Add Garlic, sweat mixture for 2-3 minutes more. Add Chili powder and Chipolte chili's (start with 2 at this point - you can add additional at end of recipe to adjust spiciness). Mixture will be thick paste.
4) Add beef stock and deglaze the pan. Add back the reserved meat and bring to a low simmer for about 1.5 - 2 hours.
5) Add beans. Add additional stock/water to get chili to your serving consistency. Adjust spice level with reserved Chipotle peppers - also adjust salt and cumin levels. Do not over stir - you want to maintain meat/bean integrity.

Key note - There is no need for tomatoes in this recipe! This is not Chili Marinara! This is a "stand up straight, no goobilygook" recipe.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
@flavorguy your recipe sounds great and I'm going to make it tomorrow.

Here is a very simple chili recipe for those that are a bit lazy.

2 lbs ground beef
1 large sweet onion
1 very large green pepper or 2 smaller peppers
2-4 minced cloves of garlic
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes and 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 can of dark kidney beans
3 packets of McCormick Original Chili mix.

Brown ground beef in a 4+quart pot. Don't over cook beef so think medium.
Drain and reserve drippings. Put into freezer in order to separate fat from broth.
Add 2 packets of the Chili mix and stir into the beef.
Dice onion and pepper(s) and add half to the pot. Stir in and allow a few moments to cook.
Add minced garlic and allow a few moments to cook.
Empty the 28oz can of diced tomatoes in to the pot and stir.
Put on low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or so and stir occasionally to keep from sticking.
Taste chili and add salt to taste. Decide if you should use the additional packet of chili mix.
Simmer for another 20 minutes or so.
Add the leftover onions and peppers.
Using a spoon, scoop out and discard the now hardened fat from the broth that you put into the freezer. Add broth to pot.
Drain the can of kidney beans and add about half the beans. I put the other half into a plastic bag and drop in the freezer for next time.
Simmer for another 20 minutes.
Decide if you need the 14oz can of diced tomatoes or not.

Optional: Depending on the tartness of the tomatoes you use you may have to add some brown sugar to cut it. Start with a teaspoon and work up slowly as it can very easily become too sweet. If you find that it's too sweet you can add some vinegar and/or some hot peppers to attempt at balancing the flavors.

Serve with several condiments that will add heat so each person can set their own level of heat and not live or die with your level.

Last edited:
Reactions: flavorguy

Latest posts