Can Football win 10+ games this year?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not sure why the year 2000 is relevant, but we have won 3 times against them since 2014 and twice in the past 6 years. All of our games lately have been very competitive. It’s not an auto loss. They will be favored but we can win.
Past history or no past history, I Googled preseason top 25 and the first 3 major sources have LSU ranked #6, #4, and #7. That's a very probable loss.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm sorry but we can't worry about what sort of season we might have when we are so obviously losing our recruiting in May. Our season is already over. How can we even expect to field a team in September?

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Just pointing out how bad we are against them over the long term. I believe they have a much better coach now than our last two victories agains them.
We are just a lot better program now than we were back in the early 2000s. Our record against anyone from that timeframe of Sly Croom and end of Jackie is just irrelevant to today’s game. We were noncompetitive back then against virtually everyone. LSU has more talent than we do and if we both play really well, they will win the game. That being said, the game being at home and early in the season, I think we have a decent shot at an upset. LSU usually plays much better later in the year. This year, we may be better later in the year with our scheme change though. Hard to tell.

Last edited:

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Past history or no past history, I Googled preseason top 25 and the first 3 major sources have LSU ranked #6, #4, and #7. That's a very probable loss.
They were ranked highly every time we have beaten them in the past decade. So is A&M most of the time. Preseason rankings are going to be geared towards the blue bloods every single year. I’m sure they will be a very good team, but they are going to have to improve a lot to be some auto loss. They lost 3 games in the regular season last year. They don’t demand Alabama peak Saban respect.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We are just a lot better program now than we were back in the early 2000s. Our record against anyone from that timeframe of Sly Croom and end of Jackie is just irrelevant to today’s game. We were noncompetitive back then against virtually everyone. LSU has more talent than we do and if we both play really well, they will win the game. That being said, the game being at home and early in the season, I think we have a decent shot at an upset. LSU usually plays much better later in the year. This year, we may be better later in the year with our scheme change though. Hard to tell.
They have a top 5 (ish) coach and significantly more talent going against a first time HC that is completely overhauling offensive schemes. We'll probably be much better on offense in the second half of the year, but there'll be some growing pains during the first few games (especially when the other team has much more talent).

patdog

May 28, 2007
They were ranked highly every time we have beaten them in the past decade. So is A&M most of the time. Preseason rankings are going to be geared towards the blue bloods every single year. I’m sure they will be a very good team, but they are going to have to improve a lot to be some auto loss. They lost 3 games in the regular season last year. They don’t demand Alabama peak Saban respect.
They weren't ranked at the end of 2014 or 2020. Ranked #18 in 2017. Maybe they're not as good as their ranking (they probably are). But right now all we have to go on is they won the SEC West after a slow start last year, they have a lot of players back, and they're pre-season top 10. We may win. But I doubt even you would bet on us straight up.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
They weren't ranked at the end of 2014 or 2020. Ranked #18 in 2017. Maybe they're not as good as their ranking (they probably are). But right now all we have to go on is they won the SEC West after a slow start last year, they have a lot of players back, and they're pre-season top 10. We may win. But I doubt even you would bet on us straight up.
No doubt LSU is good, the Florida State game is huge for them and honestly pretty good for us. Them starting the season out with a big game like that.

Reactions: patdog

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
They have a top 5 (ish) coach and significantly more talent going against a first time HC that is completely overhauling offensive schemes. We'll probably be much better on offense in the second half of the year, but there'll be some growing pains during the first few games (especially when the other team has much more talent).
Our offense sucked last year and we still should have beaten them without turnovers. They barely beat Auburn, us, and a terrible Florida team. They lost to A&M. They had 4 losses on the year. The offensive overhaul we are having would matter a lot more if we were actually a good offensive football team last year, but we were not. We have been winning with defense anyway, and return a ton of really good players off a good defense.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
I will not be betting on us to win straight up, but it would not be surprising at all if we beat them. They played a lot of bad teams close last year and lost to a terrible team at the end of the year.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
This story comes from a friend of mine.

During one of his undergrad years, late 80’s, he ran into Dr Jack in the bathroom during a game at the Hump. He asked, “Mr. Jack, do you think the Dogs will be any good this year in football?” The reply, “**** no!”

Classic.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
We are a 7-8 (regular season) win team.

The schedule is misleading because we get two games that are near automatic losses at home. I'd much rather have Ark/T5&7/USCe or the Barn at home and play LSU/Bama at their place.
Near auto home losses. I bet if we win 'em you'll say "Well, it WAS with Leach's croots"

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
Am I the only one that sees a future of us winning 10 games this season? I may just be a homer, but Alabama and LSU are the only teams that scare me and both of those games are at home. I'm sure the media and everyone will have us at like 6-6/7-5 but I honestly think we're capable of so much more than that.
No. 6-6

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
We have the talent to be an 8-9 win team, but with the staff turnover, we’re likely looking at a 6-8 win team. I hope.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login