Can someone clarify the transfer rules?

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
How many times is a player allowed to transfer? Can they hit the portal year after year, or do they have to sit out a year after the first transfer? Could a player join another team mid-season, or are there certain windows when transfers are allowed?

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
You can transfer one time and play immediately the next season. If you want to play immediately the second time you transfer, you need a waiver. Which is not that hard to obtain anymore.

I'm not sure if they will, but the immediate play transfer rule needs to be changed back asap. It's killing college sports at all levels. Apparently, in August the NCAA actually considered a change to allow unlimited multi-year transfers without having to sit out a year. It didn't pass, but it's being tabled and considered. That's going in the wrong direction but no surprise with the NCAA.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can transfer one time and play immediately the next season. If you want to play immediately the second time you transfer, you need a waiver. Which is not that hard to obtain anymore.
The way the NCAA is with waivers, I'm pretty sure having a hangnail would qualify you for a waiver. There essentially are no transfer rules.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
How many times is a player allowed to transfer? Can they hit the portal year after year, or do they have to sit out a year after the first transfer? Could a player join another team mid-season, or are there certain windows when transfers are allowed?
There are two transfer portal windows during the year. The first is from the first week of December until about mid-January. The second one is a two-week period from the first of May to mid-May. Those are the only times players can enter the portal during the year.

Reactions: 3407Dewey

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
There are two transfer portal windows during the year. The first is from the first week of December until about mid-January. The second one is a two-week period from the first of May to mid-May. Those are the only times players can enter the portal during the year.
So could a player transfer to a new team in December and participate in their bowl game?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
the rich get richer, imagine the NFL where you can poach the best players after each season

wait isnt Dallas doing that with OBJ

Delmar

Jan 8, 2008
You have the one free transfer without sitting out and then you have another opportunity as a graduate transfer without sitting out.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Thanks for the info, gents. I understand (I think) the rationale for allowing transfers. (I attended JC and then another college before I ended up at MSU.) But it seems overall detrimental to college athletics to basically create free agency.

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Thanks for the info, gents. I understand (I think) the rationale for allowing transfers. (I attended JC and then another college before I ended up at MSU.) But it seems overall detrimental to college athletics to basically create free agency.

1 school semester unrestricted, unregulated free agency without a formal contract that will hold up in court. so a school can say anything, the young man enrolls, and after the semester starts, he cannot enroll elsewhere until the next school semster starts. It's only limited by scholarship numbers for the school, but they can withdraw all promised NIL and promised under the table money at anytime. The player can also take any money before the enrollment deadline and go to Tahiti if he wants.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login