How much NIL is Vandy paying?

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Our main problem is our president. He didn't "have to" promote Arnett. Cohen had been gone for 6 weeks when Leach died. It was widely rumored all season that Leach was having health issues and would resign after the season ended. Yet he dawdled hiring a new AD.
I'll listen to the argument that maybe we should have had an AD in place sooner. I'm sure in hindsight knowing Leach was going to pass, Keenum wishes he would have moved more quickly on an AD as well, but clearly what happened was unexpected.

So without an AD and our should-be HOF coach having just died, what decent coach would have taken our job? And how many players would we have kept? It obviously didn't work with Arnett, but at least we pulled the rip cord quickly. Hire a bad coach because that's all that would take our job, and then we're locked in for multiple years.

The point is the main driver of the mess we're in was the unprecedented death of the head coach during the season, and the timing of it made worse by not having an AD in place.

Jul 11, 2024
I don't know about resigning, but the health rumors were definitely there.
There might have been some health rumors but the statement “widely rumored all season” is over exaggerated.

the man was out and about late at night a decent amount with people at the SCC.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our main problem is our president. He didn't "have to" promote Arnett. Cohen had been gone for 6 weeks when Leach died. It was widely rumored all season that Leach was having health issues and would resign after the season ended. Yet he dawdled hiring a new AD.
I'll revise that to say, our president meddling into athletics. I do think Keenum has done some good things and generally is fine, but yeah, this was bungled.

I don't even mind promoting Arnett honestly, but he needed to be made aware that this happened due to extraordinary circumstances, so he needn't make any big moves. But we had mouth-breathers here that were proclaiming that it was "HiS pRoGrAm" and that he should be allowed to run it how he wants and we should have stayed out. BULLSHLT. He doesn't get any head job if it wasn't for Leach's death, and that reality should have been made clear to EVERYONE and it wasn't.

Another problem is that Keenum should have read the room and figured out that Arnett and his band of mouth-breathers were becoming malcontents, slowly but surely. Should have just hired Spurrier Jr. on a temporary basis and if that meant T-bro Arnett left, so be it. Because even if Arnett had been required to keep the Air Raid crew, he might have undermined them.

All things considered, to keep all the peace, Arnett in place with an understanding that the Air Raid would be run, and no coaches let go, was probably the best choice for the situation.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
Aren't the NIL deals contracts between players and non-school entities? It doesn't seem like private school status would affect disclosure or permissibility of any NIL deals.
Most NIL deals are contracts between players and the collective. The details to those deals are hardly ever disclosed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Vandy still has the academic issue that NIL can't fix.
What is it? I've heard this forever but I don't understand why it matters unless they do it to themselves. Nobody tells them who they can or can't admit, similar to Miami, Duke, Stanford, TCU, Baylor, Liberty, etc. Then you have the Georgia Tech's that are public, yet I still hear about "academic requirements".

If it means that the school in general is harder to handle for recruits, I understand. But they can definitely lower admission requirement if they want.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login