Can someone explain the Leach hatred to me?

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Football is entertaining. Leach is entertaining (to me, anyway). Football plus Leach is compelling entertainment. When he gets things clicking (and he seems to be doing that now) his teams are must-watch. That is why Leach is good for us. Leach is the opposite of Mullen (who won games he was supposed to win but rarely if ever beat a clearly superior team), Leach loses some to underdogs but occasionally beats more talented teams and isn’t creepy like Mullen. The possibilities Leach brings make football fun.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't get the impression there are a bunch of leach haters out there...at least not any more than the baseline level of haters out there that will hate any coach regardless.

You are closer to the truth than you think. We still have people pissed off Cohen didn't call them so they could tell him who he should have hired.

Then there are those who aren't going to like anything or anyone. They just love to piss and moan no matter whoever is coaching and find something to piss and gripe about like this against a Team the quality of Memphis for the first game of the season with a delay over 2 hrs?

Game StatsMEMMSU
Total Yards294547
Pass Yards165450
Rushing Yards12997
Penalty Yards8-445-55
1st Downs1334
3rd Downs3-1211-13
4th Downs0-10-0
TOP18:4941:11

<caption class="hide" style="word-wrap: break-word; box-sizing: border-box; position: absolute; left: -9999px; top: -9999px; display: block !important;">Team Statistics</caption><thead style="word-wrap: break-word; box-sizing: border-box; background-image: none;">
</thead><tbody style="word-wrap: break-word; box-sizing: border-box;">
</tbody>

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Yep. Mississippians can’t stand Outside Big Picture thinking. You got to do the same old thing because that’s the way it’s been done. It applies to Sports, Business, & Life.

What?? No sarcasterisks??!?!!********************************

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Hate to say it but he's got to win some Egg Bowls to be beloved at State.

Disagree. Mullen was “beloved”, and he only beat two OM teams with a winning record in 9 years. He was extremely fortunate to get matchups against total dumpster fire OM teams for about half of his tenure (2010, 2011, 2016, 2017), and he still even lost one of those.

The Egg Bowl matters a lot, but its not the end all be all. And the context of how good OM is over his tenure matters a lot, too. If Leach finishes with a losing record against OM but still has a near .500 SEC record overall, he’s going to still be up there with Mullen and Jackie if he stays long enough.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I don’t get it. Was it boring blowing away a good NC State at home? Crushing Auburn on the road? When have ever done that? Getting robbed at Memphis and Arkansas. I don’t get it. Screw styles. I want to win.

Well the NC State game was pretty boring. If not for Tulu we probably don’t want that game. Other than that the offense is fine.

I believe that a vocal majority of haters haven’t been following MSU more than a couple of years. If you lived thru Rocket Felker, many of Jackie’s years and all of Croom’s tenure you can’t call this offense boring.

The fact that it basically took until 2014 for MSU to discover the forward pass should tell you all you need to know about our offensive history.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
He’s not done well there, but his first one was a fluke. 14-point swing on a 99-yard fumble return that was the difference.

He’s a high dollar coach, and his system is no fluke. He’s at the best job he’s ever had and probably ever will have. Dabo Swinney was skull dragged by scar for 5 or 6 years in a row, and they stuck with him. Sometimes, you just have to be patient.

I know some people that hate Leach because he’s MAGA. I can’t say much, because former WBB coach was a woke piece of ****, and it made it easy for me to dislike her. Plus, she sucked.

I think we’ll have a nice season…. Btw, it’s “knell”.

He won't last if he goes 0-3 unless he's got a great record. By won't last, I mean he will lose all support. Every damn bit. 0-3 is historically bad in an already bad football history.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He won't last if he goes 0-3 unless he's got a great record. By won't last, I mean he will lose all support. Every damn bit. 0-3 is historically bad in an already bad football history.
I’m not disagreeing with the ultimate result you mention, but I think the general point is that that mindset is stupid. So I guess what I’m saying is that a bunch of our fans are in fact stupid, because they definitely believe as you believe.

If we go 8-4 or 9-3 this year and lose the egg bowl, and our fans start talking of firing Leach with any true influence, I’ll really consider giving up fandom. It might be the last straw.

Not that anyone cares, just would probably find a more enjoyable team to follow. I mean I got the elusive natty last year so….

Last edited:

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I think he’s got to win 8 to overcome an egg bowl loss.
No coach on either side has ever lost 3 straight and been retained.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Are you serious? Did you just start following MSU football in the past 10 years? 0-3 is not historically bad. Between 1947 and 1963 we went winless in the Egg Bowl (14 losses and three ties). That is historically bad. 0-3 would suck, but it’s not a fireable offense unless we somehow combine that with a losing record.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I think some of our fans would rather lose with a coach they like and can relate to than win with a coach they don’t like and can’t relate to.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Not for me. He just needs to average 8 plus and mix in some 9 and 10 win seasons.

I’d love to beat ole miss yearly but I’m not setting my barometer on that.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I feel this is an appropriate time to reflect on the Egg Bowl dominance of the greatest coach in MSU history, Joe Moorhead.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I’m not disagreeing with the ultimate result you mention, but I think the general point is that that mindset is stupid. So I guess what I’m saying is that a bunch of our fans are in fact stupid, because they definitely believe as you believe.

If we go 8-4 or 9-3 this year and lose the egg bowl, and our fans start talking of firing Leach with any true influence, I’ll really consider giving up fandom. It might be the last straw.

Not that anyone cares, just would probably find a more enjoyable team to follow. I mean I got the elusive natty last year so….

He needs to win games and there's no problem. That's how it works. That's really it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And those same people are the ones who held Mullen to a standard for not winning those games.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He won’t lose all support for losing to ole miss this year if we are 8-4. He won’t even lose most. More? Sure but not most.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Moorhead had a better two year record too. That's about as relevant as the other.

And he still got fired faster than any other football coach in MSU history, because winning the Egg Bowl won’t save your *** if you suck. Likewise, losing the Egg Bowl won’t condemn you if you’re otherwise pretty good.

13thEagle

Feb 1, 2016
I think you guys need to be patient.
He inherited a crap load of roster issues from his yankee ***.

Thanks to covid, he didnt have a normal spring and summer where you run some off. Just give him a mulligan for year 1
Your gonna be better off in the long run with him than your sisters to the north.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I've spent the last 15 years here and ED arguing that Leach would be a great hire for us, with most people disagreeing, some of whom were angry and vehement about it.

If Leach is good, they'll have to come to grips with the fact that they've been dead wrong for more than a decade (and to be fair, I'll have to do the same if he fails and gets fired), and nobody likes doing that.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Which is dumb. A lot of fans would be “okay” with 3-9 if one of the 3 were Ole Miss and be pissed with 9-3 if one of of the 3 were Ole Miss.

One thing I grow tired of... is the constant gross exaggerations regarding MSU fans and our past football playing history.

Both parts of this statement can't be proven because only one time in History (or at least 50+ years)has State won 3 games in a season and beat OM in the same year. The year 1993 was sandwiched by 3 winning seasons. At no time in history has MSU lost to OM for consecutive years and in consecutive winning seasons. We lose to OM mostly because we are bad and the coach is fired by MSU for being bad in general and not just one game. This is nothing but an opinion/straw argument.

"3 yards and a cloud of dust"
We ran an option v Bama in 81, 91 and 92. We scored TDs in all those games and damn near beat them. 2 of those 3 years, we beat OM. (Ref stole the 81 EB). But anyways.... Jackie's offense evolved to more of a balanced offense for 93-2003. We beat Alabama a few times and OM. Balanced offense and played hard nosed defense.

Anyways, This isn't a anti Leach or anti air raid post. It is a defense of the MSU fan base and set the record straight on past offenses and successes.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
One thing I grow tired of... is the constant gross exaggerations regarding MSU fans and our past football playing history.

Both parts of this statement can't be proven because only one time in History (or at least 50+ years)has State won 3 games in a season and beat OM in the same year. The year 1993 was sandwiched by 3 winning seasons. At no time in history has MSU lost to OM for consecutive years and in consecutive winning seasons. We lose to OM mostly because we are bad and the coach is fired by MSU for being bad in general and not just one game. This is nothing but an opinion/straw argument.

"3 yards and a cloud of dust"
We ran an option v Bama in 81, 91 and 92. We scored TDs in all those games and damn near beat them. 2 of those 3 years, we beat OM. (Ref stole the 81 EB). But anyways.... Jackie's offense evolved to more of a balanced offense for 93-2003. We beat Alabama a few times and OM. Balanced offense and played hard nosed defense.

Anyways, This isn't a anti Leach or anti air raid post. It is a defense of the MSU fan base and set the record straight on past offenses and successes.

2001? 2005?

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
He does have a point where every single time he is interviewed, the person leading the interview starts with some dumb pirate stuff or any other off topic stuff. I would expect my Head coach to represent our school at all times. Every once in a while, sure. But man, it gets old when they do it every single time.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He doesn't win the award for "Presser Presence" like other young coaches currently in the SEC (Napier, Beamer) that's for sure -- but he doesn't need to, either. Those programs seemed to be in need of their style of youthful energy; Leach seems to be confident in what he doing and marches to the beat of different drum without creating unnecessary "bulletin board material"

For some elders who are huge Coach Sherrill advocates, Leach is sort of cut from a similiar fabric - so your question/statement is valid. If you embraced Sherrill's philospohies, the same courtesy should be extended to Leach, as it is a modern-day version of Sherrill approaches. We are on the right trajectory

With regards to press conferences, I think people miss the point on Leach. He hates them and most of them are unnecessary. National writers try to throw gotcha questions and any questions about actual football are usually really stupid. Local writers aren't going to be able to get any substantial info out of him and they know it but ask the question anyway. So he handles them with the level of seriousness that he feels like they require. It's essentially a big middle finger to the press. It doesn't bother me.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I don't have anything against him, but I hate his offense. It's the modern equivalent of three yards and a cloud of dust. It's just BORING.

I know....let's get Malzahn in here and run double reverse flea flickers and end arounds every play. That will be exciting! We won't gain a yard in conference play, but hey, at least we'll be doing something different!

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I think he’s got to win 8 to overcome an egg bowl loss.

Coaches that lose three straight Egg Bowls are usually bad coaches that don’t beat anybody. That’s not the case with Leach. You can’t exactly view him under the same lens as a Rockey Felker type head coach.

Felker didn’t just get fired because he lost three straight Egg Bowls, I’m sure it was mostly because he had a 5-28 record in conference play.

engie

May 29, 2011

try starting 0-5 as a head coach against a bitter in state rival - signed Dabo Swinney

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I know there are some left wing morons in the "no fun club" who don't like him because they have no soul, but is it that many people? Is it a measurable amount?

Personally, I like his mentality towards life and his politics. He better start winning some ******* egg bowls though.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t know if it’s hatred. There’s a reluctance to buy in, a question if this will ever work at MSU/in the SEC.
Four SEC coaches were hired prior to the 2020 season. 2 of the other 3 have easily outperformed him (and he’s 0-4 against those two coaches) and the other is basically a wash.
This season looks promising! Offense looked much better yesterday than last year. It remains to be seen if we can score on good teams. Memphis missed a ton of tackles that SEC teams aren’t going to miss.
The defense looked very good, especially in the first half. 29 yards of offense in a half is total domination. We gifted them the 3 points. I fell asleep before Memphis scored most of their points so I won’t comment on the second half.
This year will go a long way to getting people on board with Leach. The pieces are all in place for a good to great year. If that doesn’t happen… I just don’t know.

For most of the few haters, this is close, except they have actually gone on record as saying, so you have to add the point that now they'd rather be right than him be successful, so they are cheering against it.

There are a few people who watched the offense when it didn't work and think it's somehow different than other offenses when you don't have the right talent and don't know the offense well enough to execute. They think constant dumps to the RB for no gain is a feature of the offense rather than a result of not being able to run the offense properly.

There are legitimate complaints about Leach and his system.
- A system that takes two seasons to implement is generally a bad system. Leach's is not, but it's a legitimate complaint against his offense. We've lost games where we should have been able to out talent people and we've been out of games we should have been competitive in (particularly in 2020) b/c we just couldn't run the system. We've already been through the pain for the most part, so that's irrelevant now.
- A system that doesn't have an answer for an OT being overmatched is not a good system (I'm not sure if this really applies; I think Leach has always been able to develop good enough OTs to handle his schedule; this will be the first time where he'll face enough NFL draft pick edge rushers that not being able to handle it will derail a season).
- His system is prone to get you upset (although this is balanced by also giving a lot of opportunities to upset other people).
- Not having a pound it in, goal line or short yardage option is less than ideal

And there are a few fans that are actually griping about that and not being Leach haters. But for the most part, the leach haters are just idiots or stubborn idiots.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
We've had two coaches lose 3 straight to them since the 60s. Both had 4 straight losing seasons before being fired. If they were winning against the rest of our schedule, they would have been retained.

And unless I'm misreading something, the last coach to lose 3 straight to them before that was Wade Walker, and he was retained, only to lose to them a 4th straight time.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I love it. For some reason, people think coaches owe the press or fans something.

I don't feel like they owe me **** other than winning and if you don't win you move on either voluntarily or forcibly.

Leach's handling of the press is awesome for me.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Don’t hate the guy, never met him, but not a fan of his offense. Watched it at TT and WSU, didn’t like it then. That being said I’m behind the team 100% win or lose. I think if he goes 6-6, loses the egg bowl and has another **** show of a bowl game then his seat gets hot. Probably not fired but skewered by the fans and pressure from boosters and Cohen.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I don't have a hatred as you called it, but I'm not a fan of his either. I can't stand to watch the offense, I feel like I'm watching the Hugh Freeze 3 yd bubble screen offense, not the 3 yds and a cloud of dust run as someone called it. I don't care for the pirate gimmick angle or the way he wanders off topic or is repeatedly led off topic by the media trying to be funny. And the hacking/clearing the throat thing drives me insane as does the way he repeats himself all the time when answering a question. Hopefully he wins in the long run but for me he's just no fun to watch, but no hatred

I actually agree with all this. I don't hate him at all, and even find his side-show antics amusing when he's not coaching my team.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I know there are some left wing morons in the "no fun club" who don't like him because they have no soul, but is it that many people? Is it a measurable amount?

Personally, I like his mentality towards life and his politics. He better start winning some ******* egg bowls though.

Completely absurd comment. "Left wing" posters are far more likely to be Leach fanboys than "right wing" posters.

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
You are spot on . . . . .

While I don't know if folks base their feelings about a coach on the coach's political views, if they do the far left would run from CML. Mississippi has to be top three in the nation among MAGA states and CML would be the poster child for MAGA in Mississippi. No doubt he is highly intelligent with a high degree of common sense as well.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else say it but my group of friends don’t hate him we just aren’t 100 percent bought in yet. I don’t care about his politics, his press conferences, his Devil May care attitude towards the rivalry, or if he spends every second in the offseason in Key West. All I care is that we win and we aren’t towel whipping opponents in a fight or having LB’s punch our starting QB in the face. It’s a results driven business and we will see our returns in December. If we are 6-6 or worse then that Devil may care attitude gets put under the microscope.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login