Can we afford a top QB from the portal?

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I know we just increased NIL by 2.2 million with that match. I don't know the total though, but half of what we just raised would go to a top portal QB which is ridiculous. We need a lot out of the portal. Do we have what it takes to pay one position that much?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
NIL should be spent on defense and returning players. I doubt the intellect of anyone willing to pay a million every year, or every couple of years, for a QB out of the portal. Even moreso next year, where we really don't have the supporting cast around the QB to make it worth our money. The QB recruits are GOING to see this obvious deficiency.

Honestly, I think we are looking at building up to 2025 and 2026. 2024 ain't gonna be our year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBRME

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Is this million dollars per year or through out the career at the university. Like 4 years, 1 million is 250,000 annually? I;m not up to date on NIL but it's utterly ridiculous to pay a college student 1 million dollars a year.

Reactions: Double Dawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Well we sure as 17 can't win with Mike starting. I'm hoping Gabriel decides to play one more year instead of jumping in the draft and follows Lebby. Parson needs a year to develop and learn this system. We will find a million bucks if necessary. This administration is working on funding in a serious manner. That is our #1 need. Yes we need a lot but thats where it starts

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Is this million dollars per year or through out the career at the university. Like 4 years, 1 million is 250,000 annually? I;m not up to date on NIL but it's utterly ridiculous to pay a college student 1 million dollars a year.
Almost a million per year, for one QB that will be unnamed but is at an SEC school. It's silliness and we can't be engaging in that stupidity.

Reactions: thatsbaseball
Feb 25, 2018
We need a lot more than an elite qb to be competitive. So why spend that much on a qb in year one when it would make more sense to do that in year two or three when we would have better players around him at that point.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I'm not sure, but some only have 1 or 2 years left. I would think it would be 1 though.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Do you think we aren't paying a lot of our current players ? If we can't rent a QB for one year while Parson learns the system we need to accept a lot of losing. All of these top players are getting paid. How much do you think we are paying Zavion and Tulu ? It takes players to win and now you have to pay them or not keep them. Period

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I don’t know, but one of the below two things needs to be true going forward

A) The answer is yes

or

B) Lebby and Selmon are screaming from the roof tops to let BC donors know what we need to compete

I don’t mean any disrespect by saying this, but the age of NIL ambiguity and State only having enough to hang on to existing players like Rogers needs to be behind us

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Well we sure as 17 can't win with Mike starting. I'm hoping Gabriel decides to play one more year instead of jumping in the draft and follows Lebby. Parson needs a year to develop and learn this system. We will find a million bucks if necessary. This administration is working on funding in a serious manner. That is our #1 need. Yes we need a lot but thats where it starts
I heard an interview with Gabriel where he said Lebby's offense uses a lot of terminology and is hard to pick. We need to pay him what it takes to come with Lebby and have Parson (or whoever) learn for a year.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
You guys plan to play in the big leagues so your NIL fund is about to be tapped to the max. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
The top teams in the country are proving that HS recruiting remains vital...AL, GA, Oh St, MI, et.al., use the portal in a limited manner to supplement a few spots on their rosters. Don't know a lot about your roster but it seems you lost the heart of your defense to graduation. On offense you have some depth at tailback and a couple of quality receivers, but the rest of your offense needs help. Your HS recruiting is not great at this juncture but maybe Lebby can flip a few your way. Lebby has his hands full getting mid-level SEC quality talent across 22 starters not to mention depth--If Lebby can get 6 wins next season I would consider that an incredibly successful season. The SEC schedule for both of our teams is about to get brutal...in '24 you guys get GA, TN, LSU. OM, TX, FL, TAMU and ARK so expect your schedule will be among top 10 most difficult.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Is it really crazy though? Yes, it’s a lot of money. But CFB is a billion dollar industry. A starting QB isn’t just a college student. They are an integral part of the success of multi-million dollar programs.

If you can get a QB that will win you X more games than otherwise, or in some of these cases win you a conference or national championship - that’s worth way more than $250,000/year.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
paying full house GIF

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Spend 50% of NIL on the OL, 40% on DL and LB’s. Sprinkle the remaining 10% around equally. Let all the skill positions get rich off the stats they’d be able to put up.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You don't need a great QB to win 7-8 games in the SEC. Plus, next year we have a brutal SEC schedule and we're rebuilding. Save the cash and get a bunch of good players instead.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Is it really crazy though? Yes, it’s a lot of money. But CFB is a billion dollar industry..
Yeah but the CFB industry isn't paying for NIL. Boosters and fans are paying it. Which is ridiculous.

Btw, give to NIL and not the BC? Ha! Selmon is going up on some PSLs for the 2024 season and forward.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I heard an interview with Gabriel where he said Lebby's offense uses a lot of terminology and is hard to pick. We need to pay him what it takes to come with Lebby and have Parson (or whoever) learn for a year.
Hmmmmmm......

Lebby's offense uses a lot of terminology and is hard to pick up. Strike 1. I heard the Oklahoma guy say on Bo Bounds that Venables and Lebby kinda butted heads because Lebby was more of a laid back players' coach and was a recruiter, and Venables was more hard-nosed and organized. Strike 2.

Strike 3 means you are Joe Moorhead. Not liking this so far.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Yeah but the CFB industry isn't paying for NIL. Boosters and fans are paying it. Which is ridiculous.

Btw, give to NIL and not the BC? Ha! Selmon is going up on some PSLs for the 2024 season and forward.
Boosters and fans are ones paying for everything already. We have money because of Bulldog Club, ticket sales etc.

We get TV money because networks want the viewership. More viewers means more ad revenue, more subscriptions to TV providers etc. All the money directly or indirectly comes from fans or boosters pockets. NIL is just another direct way.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
You don't need a great QB to win 7-8 games in the SEC. Plus, next year we have a brutal SEC schedule and we're rebuilding. Save the cash and get a bunch of good players instead.
That’s probably correct. I don’t see the
Funding for O Line, D line , secondary overhaul on top a blue chip qb transfer. I think you can find a really good grad transfer from G5 who could do a good job and compete with Parson. maybe spend for the top tier qb next year.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Hmmmmmm......

Lebby's offense uses a lot of terminology and is hard to pick up. Strike 1. I heard the Oklahoma guy say on Bo Bounds that Venables and Lebby kinda butted heads because Lebby was more of a laid back players' coach and was a recruiter, and Venables was more hard-nosed and organized. Strike 2.

Strike 3 means you are Joe Moorhead. Not liking this so far.
Well if this doesn’t work we may as well give up. ScUM had no problem running Lebby’s offense. If MSU athletes can’t grasp it then what else is left? Do we need a coach who’s offensive philosophy is written in crayon and says run up middle geez

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well if this doesn’t work we may as well give up. ScUM had no problem running Lebby’s offense. If MSU athletes can’t grasp it then what else is left? Do we need a coach who’s offensive philosophy is written in crayon and says run up middle geez
Ole Miss ran Lane Kiffin's offense.

A simple offense usually works at MSU. Bellard, King Jackie's run game, Danny, Leach, etc.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
That was just Gabriel saying that as it applied to him as a QB. I'm assuming most new offenses are hard for QBs to pick up. Hopefully he'll tailor it for the personnel. I'd love to get Gabriel, but it will cost. He doesn't have a high draft grade (at this point) so hopefully we can get him for a reasonable NIL deal.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
$1M will get us Will Rogers back. $2M if you want a really good QB.

Matt Rhule
It will be interesting to see what other coaches think of Will's value. I hope he goes to a lower program that need a passing QB. I'd hate to seen him got to a bigger program and get buried on the bench like Spencer Sanders.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Boosters and fans are ones paying for everything already. We have money because of Bulldog Club, ticket sales etc.

We get TV money because networks want the viewership. More viewers means more ad revenue, more subscriptions to TV providers etc. All the money directly or indirectly comes from fans or boosters pockets. NIL is just another direct way.
But NIL doesn't come out of the money that the CFB industry creates. We had to make up a totally faux revenue stream to pay nil.

Which btw, NCAA/SEC$/Meida made up 55% of our revenue. Donor Contributions and ticket Sales make up 35% of our 2022 revenue.

Pay them a portion of the tv revenue.

Reactions: StateCollege

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Matt Rhule just said that it costs over $1 million per year to get a decent QB and that he’s going to do it the old fashioned way by finding a project and developing him.

So congratulations to Nebraska, you have a head start on next year’s coaching carousel!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Matt Rhule just said that it costs over $1 million per year to get a decent QB and that he’s going to do it the old fashioned way by finding a project and developing him.

So congratulations to Nebraska, you have a head start on next year’s coaching carousel!
Can you make an NIL contract 100% performance based ?

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
I don’t know, but one of the below two things needs to be true going forward

A) The answer is yes

or

B) Lebby and Selmon are screaming from the roof tops to let BC donors know what we need to compete

I don’t mean any disrespect by saying this, but the age of NIL ambiguity and State only having enough to hang on to existing players like Rogers needs to be behind us
Rogers will get a mil

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
NIL should be spent on defense and returning players. I doubt the intellect of anyone willing to pay a million every year, or every couple of years, for a QB out of the portal. Even moreso next year, where we really don't have the supporting cast around the QB to make it worth our money. The QB recruits are GOING to see this obvious deficiency.

Honestly, I think we are looking at building up to 2025 and 2026. 2024 ain't gonna be our year.
This is more than likely correct. We can develop Parson and add a couple of more really good QB's for back up and push Parson. If we don't address OL, we're in trouble and it'll be wasted $$$$

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login