Can we afford a top QB from the portal?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
It will be interesting to see what other coaches think of Will's value. I hope he goes to a lower program that need a passing QB. I'd hate to seen him got to a bigger program and get buried on the bench like Spencer Sanders.
Seen several predictor sites with his list being Kentucky, Auburn, and South Carolina. Just baffling. Good luck to them.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We are gonna get Dillon Gabriel. Plain and simple. He isn't ready for the NFL yet. He needs another good year to be be anything more than practice squad. He will make a nice chunk of change and be highly motivated to make it work. Lebby needs him to jumpstart this first year and Gabriel needs to show out in the SEC to get his shot. Mark it down.

Reactions: msu6packspeak

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
And as far as Will I love the guy and have defended him on this board but I can't see these predictions of top teams get in a bidding war over him. I heard some talking head predicting a play off level team might get him. C'mon man ? I watched OU and he and Gabriel are two different players. It can't just be the system and coaches can it ???

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't know how much he'll get but I'd bet he does and also who he'll get it from.
I hope he gets as much as possible. Where he goes will determine what other coaches think of him. I don't know that I'd put a ton of stock into predictions though, those are mostly beat writers trying to create content.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
You guys plan to play in the big leagues so your NIL fund is about to be tapped to the max. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
The top teams in the country are proving that HS recruiting remains vital...AL, GA, Oh St, MI, et.al., use the portal in a limited manner to supplement a few spots on their rosters. Don't know a lot about your roster but it seems you lost the heart of your defense to graduation. On offense you have some depth at tailback and a couple of quality receivers, but the rest of your offense needs help. Your HS recruiting is not great at this juncture but maybe Lebby can flip a few your way. Lebby has his hands full getting mid-level SEC quality talent across 22 starters not to mention depth--If Lebby can get 6 wins next season I would consider that an incredibly successful season. The SEC schedule for both of our teams is about to get brutal...in '24 you guys get GA, TN, LSU. OM, TX, FL, TAMU and ARK so expect your schedule will be among top 10 most difficult.
17 U REB GO TO HELL

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020
You guys plan to play in the big leagues so your NIL fund is about to be tapped to the max. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
The top teams in the country are proving that HS recruiting remains vital...AL, GA, Oh St, MI, et.al., use the portal in a limited manner to supplement a few spots on their rosters. Don't know a lot about your roster but it seems you lost the heart of your defense to graduation. On offense you have some depth at tailback and a couple of quality receivers, but the rest of your offense needs help. Your HS recruiting is not great at this juncture but maybe Lebby can flip a few your way. Lebby has his hands full getting mid-level SEC quality talent across 22 starters not to mention depth--If Lebby can get 6 wins next season I would consider that an incredibly successful season. The SEC schedule for both of our teams is about to get brutal...in '24 you guys get GA, TN, LSU. OM, TX, FL, TAMU and ARK so expect your schedule will be among top 10 most difficult.
Honestly don't care what someone not a bulldog has to say. Worry about your own nil.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
My neighbor’s son is a starting CB for Ohio State. His NIL value is $115,000. A Columbus area Chipotle franchisee just signed him and 7 others to their advertising campaign. You can buy T shirts with his name on it for $25 or $34. They have him sign autographs and do meet and greets at malls and area businesses.

Just from talking to the family, I am guessing OSU has 4-5 million in NIL on their starters and then using a 2 million +/- some for recruiting the portal and HS kids.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
Not worried about NIL at OM--we are in good shape and Kiffin has got the program on a dramatic upswing.

Find Lebby hire fascinating...undoubtedly a good hire, but can he make a silk purse from a sow's ear?
SEC will be much tougher going forward...if Lebby has a winning record in either year 1 or 2 you guys should double
his salary.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
from the Columbus Dispatch June 3, 2022--so this was for "22 season.

"Ohio State needs $13 million in money through name, image and likeness deals to maintain its football roster beyond next season.
That’s the eight-figure estimate coach Ryan Day provided to about 100 businesspeople at an NIL event held at the Covelli Center Thursday."

Word is NIL inflation for '24 season is up 30% plus over 2023.

Last edited:

tired

Sep 16, 2013
We are gonna get Dillon Gabriel. Plain and simple. He isn't ready for the NFL yet. He needs another good year to be be anything more than practice squad. He will make a nice chunk of change and be highly motivated to make it work. Lebby needs him to jumpstart this first year and Gabriel needs to show out in the SEC to get his shot. Mark it down.
He'd make more in college. Who's gonna draft a 5' 10", 200 lbs, slightly above average arm qb?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login