Chiming In

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015
Needless to say, the past several hours have been busy, so I am a little late checking in. Without commenting on any particular players, I thought I would share a few notes.

Some have expressed frustration with the idea that players receive money from BI and then enter the portal. We know that players will leave (whether on their own or at MSU’s invitation), so we work hard to prevent ourselves from being burned financially by players walking out during the term of an agreement. For example, the agreements BI signs are generally monthly, backloaded, and written with an understanding of transfer portal deadlines. In sum, the fan side of us is hurt, but the financial side is not. While this feels like an MSU issue, it is broader than that. Even yesterday, a starting player at another school decided to go in the portal just hours after signing an agreement with that school’s collective.

Although there is no way to stop it, the worst thing a fanbase can do when a player goes into the portal is to react negatively, especially on Twitter. For all the talk of programs needing to regain power, the players learn quickly how much leverage they have when the mere entry of their name prompts huge reactions. And, in some cases, those reactions eliminate much chance of regaining a player who might have otherwise pulled their name out of the portal. It is for this reason that divisive forces sometimes push players to enter, or incentivize some around players to convince them to enter, the portal just to see what will happen. They then exploit the backlash. The greater the backlash, the greater the opportunity to exploit it.

I have had a few people indicate in the past few hours that they do not want to participate in NIL until sanity is put back in the process. I understand that sentiment (I don’t even want to participate most days), and, as I have said before, I will not criticize those who do not want to help. But, I must emphasize that we didn’t create the insanity, and it isn’t going away any time soon. For those who cannot participate or just will not participate based on principle or distaste, I understand. For those who are on the fence but are hesitant to participate because of the drama, please consider rethinking your position. When the dry days of summer hit, the answer is not to put less water on the crops; rather, a smart grower will try to save as much of the crop as he can, even if some of it will certainly be lost. Like that grower, the help we are getting is making a difference, and it is vital that, even in the face of losing some of the crop, we hold on and keep fighting until the rains of sanity arrive, whenever that might be.

Finally - please do not buy into the view that these athletes are bad people or are largely disloyal. The more I talk to MSU athletes, the more I like them. We have some very good people. In many cases, they are young and subject to influence, and negative reaction only further pushes not just them, but their friends who are watching, away from us. It also discourages support of our coaches and NIL efforts, which only further undermines our hopes. Some of the people I like most actually transferred here, and I like some who have left, or might still leave, as well. And, as to loyalty, who among us hasn’t considered the need to go to the portal to find a better football, basketball, or baseball player to fill a particular spot? I have. The painful reality is that the portal door swings both ways, and it is hard to reconcile the fact that we will gleefully take from it to replace an existing player while attacking those players who decide to push that door in their chosen direction.

In closing, I read a book on negotiation over thirty years ago that said something that has stuck with me ever since - that the secret of negotiation was to exhibit the attitude that you care, but not that much. Behind the scenes, it would help greatly if we continue to care and and that people continue to spread the word about BI - even while understanding that no matter how hard we work, we will gain some players and lose some, too. And when that happens, my hope is that we not overreact. Or, as Herb Cohen said in that book, to care, but not that much.

More players will come and more will go - but good things are happening at MSU.

Thanks,
Charlie

PS - Didn‘t mean to sound preachy; it’s just a curse I live with.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Needless to say, the past several hours have been busy, so I am a little late checking in. Without commenting on any particular players, I thought I would share a few notes.

Some have expressed frustration with the idea that players receive money from BI and then enter the portal. We know that players will leave (whether on their own or at MSU’s invitation), so we work hard to prevent ourselves from being burned financially by players walking out during the term of an agreement. For example, the agreements BI signs are generally monthly, backloaded, and written with an understanding of transfer portal deadlines. In sum, the fan side of us is hurt, but the financial side is not. While this feels like an MSU issue, it is broader than that. Even yesterday, a starting player at another school decided to go in the portal just hours after signing an agreement with that school’s collective.

Although there is no way to stop it, the worst thing a fanbase can do when a player goes into the portal is to react negatively, especially on Twitter. For all the talk of programs needing to regain power, the players learn quickly how much leverage they have when the mere entry of their name prompts huge reactions. And, in some cases, those reactions eliminate much chance of regaining a player who might have otherwise pulled their name out of the portal. It is for this reason that divisive forces sometimes push players to enter, or incentivize some around players to convince them to enter, the portal just to see what will happen. They then exploit the backlash. The greater the backlash, the greater the opportunity to exploit it.

I have had a few people indicate in the past few hours that they do not want to participate in NIL until sanity is put back in the process. I understand that sentiment (I don’t even want to participate most days), and, as I have said before, I will not criticize those who do not want to help. But, I must emphasize that we didn’t create the insanity, and it isn’t going away any time soon. For those who cannot participate or just will not participate based on principle or distaste, I understand. For those who are on the fence but are hesitant to participate because of the drama, please consider rethinking your position. When the dry days of summer hit, the answer is not to put less water on the crops; rather, a smart grower will try to save as much of the crop as he can, even if some of it will certainly be lost. Like that grower, the help we are getting is making a difference, and it is vital that, even in the face of losing some of the crop, we hold on and keep fighting until the rains of sanity arrive, whenever that might be.

Finally - please do not buy into the view that these athletes are bad people or are largely disloyal. The more I talk to MSU athletes, the more I like them. We have some very good people. In many cases, they are young and subject to influence, and negative reaction only further pushes not just them, but their friends who are watching, away from us. It also discourages support of our coaches and NIL efforts, which only further undermines our hopes. Some of the people I like most actually transferred here, and I like some who have left, or might still leave, as well. And, as to loyalty, who among us hasn’t considered the need to go to the portal to find a better football, basketball, or baseball player to fill a particular spot? I have. The painful reality is that the portal door swings both ways, and it is hard to reconcile the fact that we will gleefully take from it to replace an existing player while attacking those players who decide to push that door in their chosen direction.

In closing, I read a book on negotiation over thirty years ago that said something that has stuck with me ever since - that the secret of negotiation was to exhibit the attitude that you care, but not that much. Behind the scenes, it would help greatly if we continue to care and and that people continue to spread the word about BI - even while understanding that no matter how hard we work, we will gain some players and lose some, too. And when that happens, my hope is that we not overreact. Or, as Herb Cohen said in that book, to care, but not that much.

Thanks,
Charlie

1673707935943.gif

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I have twitter but I don't tweet players or recruits. There has always been something wrong with that. As far as nil, appreciate what you do Charlie. I know we have to play the game and I'm glad to know you guys are structuring the deals the way you do. I knew we had smart people in charge of our nil when I heard you were involved. My issues still remain with the ncaa and the lack of enforcement of tampering and no teeth behind nils and contracts similar to nfl. Without teeth to hold these guys at school after they sign nils, I feel like it's just wasting money. Give money to a 20 year old that, while the price of everything has gone way up just doesn't seem like a wise financial decision for most of the fan base. A business sure. I thought that's what nil was supposed to be about. Business want to use x player to promote there business and now player can profit or video game etc not the fan base supplying these guys a salary only for them to bolt any time they want.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
With the NIL, money is going to matter even more. State is at, or near, the bottom of the SEC in NIL money, thus the frustration. I'm sure we can get good young men to play at State, but without decent NIL money, will we get a lot of talent? If we had a lot of NIL money, and we used it to poach good players from other teams, I suspect many of us wouldn't be nearly as concerned about the amount of money spent on college football.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t envy your job. And it’s going to get a lot worse before (if) it ever get better. The only real fix for college sports is to eliminate the NIL collectives and pay the players directly. Recruits can sign a 1, 2, 3, or 4 year contract. When they’re out of contract, they can transfer with no restrictions. While they’re in contract, transfers can be negotiated with the school receiving a transfer fee like in soccer. But I don’t see that happening any time soon, if ever.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020

Thanks,
Charlie

This post might just be the most logical and sensible thing I have ever read on the internet. I know that isn't saying much considering the amount of misinformation that is out there but I do appreciate Charlie explaining this and encouraging us with these words of knowledge and wisdom.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Great post. Unfortunately, I do believe Ole Miss has an organized effort for some of their fans to masquerade as MSU fans on Twitter, and other platforms, to do damage to our team/university. We do have more than our share of dumb fans, so adding OM plants to them is especially damaging. We had a poster years ago (retired AF Col, I think?) who always posted about well Ole Miss engaged in psychological warfare against us.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Thanks,
Charlie

Sir, this is SPS. We only accept negative assumptive uninformed posts.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Great post. Unfortunately, I do believe Ole Miss has an organized effort for some of their fans to masquerade as MSU fans on Twitter, and other platforms, to do damage to our team/university. We do have more than our share of dumb fans, so adding OM plants to them is especially damaging. We had a poster years ago (retired AF Col, I think?) who always posted about well Ole Miss engaged in psychological warfare against us.
Twitter is easily about 80% pure trolling. Anybody who believes anything they read there (esp unverified) is just a grade A moron. Sounds like a lot of football players fall into that category.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Thanks,
Charlie

Maybe I need to be something other than a farmer...........I'm tired of watering...........

Oct 13, 2021
Man, I hope with the new AD having a background in fundraising... that Charlie's job gets much easier. Hopefully we can hire some folks to do this full-time, since you basically have to do this stuff 24/7 365 now, and I can't imagine how much garbage Charlie has had to deal with this year.

Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Twitter is easily about 80% pure trolling. Anybody who believes anything they read there (esp unverified) is just a grade A moron. Sounds like a lot of football players fall into that category.
I hate twitter but I keep it because it's instant news. The rest is trolling and bots and cancel culture mobs

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for posting this Charlie. Honestly, the reactions by some of our fans on Twitter, Instagram, and this board to these transfer announcements has been kind of embarrassing.

I’m watching a bunch of grown men act like jilted girlfriends.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Great post. I have never understood grown men "tweeting" negatively at players who are thinking about transferring. Yep, that's going to help the situation.
I have never understood players Tweeting that they are leaving in the first place. Goodbye, what are you waiting for, more attention?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login