Choose @maroonmadman's new ride *VNSFW* (edited with updated pics)

Choose @maroonmadman's new ride

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
*edited based on actual truck colors*

no mortal man should dare make this decision alone - enter the dramatic saga at your own peril

vote based on cost/benefit of swagger vs economic integrity...

#1 2022 Nissan Frontier SV
1688677594035.png

#2 2020 Toyota Tacoma SR5
1688677556346.png

#3 2020 Honda Ridgeline
1688677614858.png

#4 2021 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
1688677535299.png

Last edited:

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Just for the record: 2022 Frontier SV is dark red, Toyota is “Voodoo Blue” (Toyota’s name, not mine) Honda is white, 4x4 Frontier is grey. Don’t think I’ll get to CarMax today as wife’s doctor appointment is running over.

Reactions: onewoof

DawgInCO

Mar 3, 2008
I bought a 2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4 SV when I lived in the mountains of Colorado. It drove really well in all conditions. Still have
it now that I live in Oklahoma and have never had any problems with it. My biggest complaint with the Frontier is the turning
radius. Probably the worst turning radius of any car/truck I've owned, but that hasn't been too much of a concern so far. I've
towed boats/trailers without any issues.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Tacoma. The best overall midsized made. I like the Frontier v6 engine, but the rest of the body is substandard. The Honda is a joke. If you want groceries, it is the king, but if you need to go through a muddy area or pull something out of a ditch, you are out of luck. Which means it's not a real truck.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
edited original post to include actual colors. folks feel free to change your vote up there if you so choose.

@maroonmadman do not dare make a move until these results are in (after noon central time Friday July 7, 2023)

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The color does make a difference.

One thing - do those Nissans have smaller rear doors? I'm a big believer in full size rear doors to get stuff (and people) in and out.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The color does make a difference.

One thing - do those Nissans have smaller rear doors? I'm a big believer in full size rear doors to get stuff (and people) in and out.
from the pics it looks like Nissan's have 2/3 of a full rear door and Tacoma's have 4/5 of a full rear door.

May 7, 2006
Ridgeline: XL moped

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Speaking of... Chevy has announced they may bring back the El Camino soon. What a world.
They won't be worth having because they won't have the big block 454s in them.

Those things are in the hall of fame of badass things.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Tacoma
Pros: toyota reliability, resale value
Cons: very old platform, most "trucklike" of the three, slow

Nissan
Pros: new platform, V6 powah
Cons: resale value (?), reliability of new platform

Honda
Pros: reliability, resale
Cons: image, most carlike

I would go with the 2022 Nissan

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks all for confirming my suspicion that Car and Driver's truck rankings are BS

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Honda Ridgelines are the trans version of trucks. It can’t decide if it’s a car or a truck.
A person can ice down a lot of Bud Light in that under bed storage area on the Honda.**** Not that there's anything wrong with that. Good thing I'm a Miller man.

Last edited:

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I bought a 2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4 SV when I lived in the mountains of Colorado. It drove really well in all conditions. Still have
it now that I live in Oklahoma and have never had any problems with it. My biggest complaint with the Frontier is the turning
radius. Probably the worst turning radius of any car/truck I've owned, but that hasn't been too much of a concern so far. I've
towed boats/trailers without any issues.
The 2020 & 2021 Frontiers have the new Frontier engine and transmission, 3.8 litre and 9 speed tranny. More HP, torque and better gas milage in the old Frontier body.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
UPDATE: The grey Frontier 4 x 4 sold. I kinda figured that would happen as it only had 8500 miles on it and they were asking $32K but were willing to negotiate. Looks like the red Frontier is going to be the winner folks as the Toyota people don't want to come off their price enough to fit my budget.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I tend to think the Toyota Tacoma is one of the most overhyped vehicles (great vehicle, but the cultishness gets out of hand) on the road. But looking at this list, it dominates... Assuming the SR5 means its 4wd. If it's one of those prerunner thingies, get the 4wd Nissan.
Then things are uncomfortable as hell for a big dude. I like the Nissans because they are a bit wider and have a more comfortable seat

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I tend to think the Toyota Tacoma is one of the most overhyped vehicles (great vehicle, but the cultishness gets out of hand) on the road. But looking at this list, it dominates... Assuming the SR5 means its 4wd. If it's one of those prerunner thingies, get the 4wd Nissan.
I think the SR5 designation is just a trim level, it's not 4wd. Unfortunately, the 4wd Nissan sold but I really wasn't looking for a 4wd but would take one IF the price was right. I agree with the overhype. I'd also include Honda in that overhype based upon prices I've seen during this truck buying saga.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Crowd fav with 40 votes
1688754930434.png

2nd place with 10 votes
1688755032955.png

I will say this, Tahomas have this odd cult like following that allows them to sell for more.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
It's a done deal folks! The winner was the 2022 Frontier SV, sitting in the driveway right now. I'll post some pics and walk y'all through MY thought process and methods I used to arrive at this decision. Right now I'm going to go have a few cold beers (NOT bud light) and give grateful thanks that this truck buying ordeal is over.

Thanks for all the help folks! I know I didn't go with the crowd favorite but I've never been a 'go with the crowd' kinda guy. Too bad the Frontier fell a little short of 17% in the votes. That would have been karmic.

BTW mine looks just like the one in the pic except mine has black spoke rims. I consider this color one of the many shades of True Maroon us State fans have come to know and love over the years.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's a done deal folks! The winner was the 2022 Frontier SV, sitting in the driveway right now. I'll post some pics and walk y'all through MY thought process and methods I used to arrive at this decision. Right now I'm going to go have a few cold beers (NOT bud light) and give grateful thanks that this truck buying ordeal is over.

Thanks for all the help folks! I know I didn't go with the crowd favorite but I've never been a 'go with the crowd' kinda guy. Too bad the Frontier fell a little short of 17% in the votes. That would have been karmic.

BTW mine looks just like the one in the pic except mine has black spoke rims. I consider this color one of the many shades of True Maroon us State fans have come to know and love over the years.
@maroonmadman lets see some photos of that sweet swagga wagon

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
@maroonmadman lets see some photos of that sweet swagga wagon
Here ya go. Sorry I'm not real savy with the picture thing and posted the same pic 3 times instead of 4 different pics. Kinda wanted to wait until my step rails were installed but screw it.

Anyways, why the Frontier? Easy answer, the drive off the lot price for the Frontier was LESS than the asking price for the Toyota and the Toyota dealer did not want to come down any. Plus the Frontier is 2 years newer, had less than half the miles AND is one of the many shades of True Maroon we State fans have come to know and love over the years.
resize1.jpgresize1.jpgresize1.jpgresize1.jpgresize2.jpg

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login