Chris Jans Staff

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Has anyone heard who will be Jans' assistants? New Mexico State just hired Greg Heiar as their new coach.

Jans' associate head coach, James Miller, was a finalist for that job so would he come to Starkville?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I would think so. I think Robbie said last week that he was talking to George Brooks about staying on staff for continuity.

MissStFan87

Feb 15, 2007
It doesn't hurt to have someone on staff with local ties. Keeping Brooks makes sense for recruiting.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
It doesn't hurt to have someone on staff with local ties. Keeping Brooks makes sense for recruiting.

There's a good reason that nobody has ever come calling to snatch Brooks away. Or promote him to a head coaching position. Besides MCC way back whenever that was.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Jans' associate head coach, James Miller, was a finalist for that job so would he come to Starkville?
I would think he comes. I heard a radio interview with Jan’s and he specifically said he was waiting on NM St before completing his staff.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Miller is coming to Starkville, it was just hinging on whether or not he got the head NMSU gig.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Brooks has been part of the staffs of the last three head coaches here. He's the basketball version of Tony Hughes.

Except Tony Hughes has pretty good recruiting skills. Brooks couldn't even recruit his own son to sign with us out of HS. What exactly is his expert skill set that keeps him around? Asking serious question. Not trolling

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
Brooks - Recruiting his own son...

Except Tony Hughes has pretty good recruiting skills. Brooks couldn't even recruit his own son to sign with us out of HS. What exactly is his expert skill set that keeps him around? Asking serious question. Not trolling

You do know he signed a NLI with MSU in the fall of his senior year and it wasn't until family dynamics caused him to go elsewhere.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You’re kinda reaching there. That wasn’t a recruiting issue and more of a family squabble.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
You do know he signed a NLI with MSU in the fall of his senior year and it wasn't until family dynamics caused him to go elsewhere.

Pretty sure he went to UNC. Bottom line is he didn't come to State out of HS. And when he got to State last year, he didn't excel, after excelling at UNC. Not sure why Brooks is getting a pass from you guys. Nobody still has answered my question of what exactly his expert skill set is that he brings to the table that merits leaving him on staff, "consistency" isn't a valid reason. I do get it, if it's to keep a few guys from leaving this year, that might bolt if he's fired. But that's a short sighted way to run a program.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Not that I'm against him staying (I don't know enough to have an opinion), but with how much of the team does (and probalby has to) come from out of state, I'm not sure local ties can justify an assistant spot. I assume Brooks works the AAU circuit and that's how he brings value. May be completely wrong, but I would think having MIssissippi ties is a plus, but of secondary importance.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Brooks is a pretty decent recruiter. Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Yeah Brooks probably has some good ties but I don’t think not retaining him would hurt us. I have no idea how good an x and o coach he is

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Maybe there's a reason he keeps staying on here, too.

A few thoughts:

1. No message board heros seems to think Brooks is a good coach.

2. Brooks has been kept on staff by several coaches now so he obviously brings some value seen by coaches.

3. When a coach or other is bashed unjustly on hear, there is usually someone in the know that will come to their defense.

4. This does not happen, yet (refer to #2)

5. My best guess conclusion => Brooks skillset and what he does well does (possibly recruiting related) is best not advertised to the world.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
I think George Brooks will stay on for continuity and recruiting. James Miller will be brought in as his head assistant coach.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I don't know much about Brooks but for him to be around as long at MSU as he has been either means he brings value to the program or he knows where the bodies are buried so we're keeping him on to keep him silent.

Regardless, listening to Jans the other day during an interview, he seemed to indicate that with the portal, coaches are now recruiting for the next year and not necessarily looking at players for long term investments. I may have misunderstood what he meant but if I'm correct, wouldn't that recruiting strategy limit the value a coach like Brooks,who is connected in the high school ranks, would have with a program?

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
Pretty sure he went to UNC. Bottom line is he didn't come to State out of HS. And when he got to State last year, he didn't excel, after excelling at UNC. Not sure why Brooks is getting a pass from you guys. Nobody still has answered my question of what exactly his expert skill set is that he brings to the table that merits leaving him on staff, "consistency" isn't a valid reason. I do get it, if it's to keep a few guys from leaving this year, that might bolt if he's fired. But that's a short sighted way to run a program.

George Brooks Recruits (247sports.com)

Quite simply the majority of our contributing roster under howland were "brooks guys". It was not his job to correctly allocate their roles into the team. His job was to get players and he did his job. People looking really hard for a reason to let brooks go are contrarian and foolish. Also, all 3 of our incoming signees are his guys. Jans may or may not retain him but you'd be well served to just say thanks and let it play out.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The Brooks discussion in this thread is pretty funny, given recent history on here.

For months now, people have been calling for the whole staff to be thrown to the curb. For months now, Brooks would be specifically mentioned as wasted space on the bench.
Now though? Keeping him may be good for continuity.

Here is reality-
Brooks is an effective recruiter. He has brought in a bunch of the impact players under Howland. At the same time, he better have been able to do that since he has effectively been the lead recruiter. Thats kinda his job.
More reality is that there have been an untold number of threads on here this season that complain about the lack of talent on the team and explain away most all the talent as 'overrated' or just barely better than average. So is Brooks then worth keeping around?
Like so often happens here, people want to have their cake and eat it too, but you cant have it both ways and not also be laughed at.

Also McCray landed some strong players in the last 6 seasons.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
The Brooks discussion in this thread is pretty funny, given recent history on here.

For months now, people have been calling for the whole staff to be thrown to the curb. For months now, Brooks would be specifically mentioned as wasted space on the bench.
Now though? Keeping him may be good for continuity.

Here is reality-
Brooks is an effective recruiter. He has brought in a bunch of the impact players under Howland. At the same time, he better have been able to do that since he has effectively been the lead recruiter. Thats kinda his job.
More reality is that there have been an untold number of threads on here this season that complain about the lack of talent on the team and explain away most all the talent as 'overrated' or just barely better than average. So is Brooks then worth keeping around?
Like so often happens here, people want to have their cake and eat it too, but you cant have it both ways and not also be laughed at.

Also McCray landed some strong players in the last 6 seasons.

I don't agree with you on many things, but on this you're spot on.

Feb 23, 2008
It really is kinda funny. Some people think Jans is just walking into a

gravy train of a program and all he has to do is not screw it up so therefore we must keep Brooks. Jans has been around. Let's give him a chance to show what guys he can line up before we make rash decisions based on continuity.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
A large portion of our issue during Howland’s tenure has been that everyone on Howland’s staff was primarily a recruiter. Howland’s strength wasn’t bench coaching at least in game situations. A head coach must have a bench coach if that isn’t his strength. You can’t just have a staff of recruiters.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
For the love of God and MSU…Brooks nor ANY other assistant needs to be retained!
Clean out the Dawg house and move along!
Need a totally new staff.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
George Brooks Recruits (247sports.com)

Quite simply the majority of our contributing roster under howland were "brooks guys". It was not his job to correctly allocate their roles into the team. His job was to get players and he did his job. People looking really hard for a reason to let brooks go are contrarian and foolish. Also, all 3 of our incoming signees are his guys. Jans may or may not retain him but you'd be well served to just say thanks and let it play out.

Woodard, Perry, and Carter were legacies so it didn't take much for him to get them on campus. I'll give him Q, Hood, and Newman, but the latter 2 did absolutely nothing for us. I'm sorry but that list is not a ringing endorsement of one’s recruiting prowess.

Last edited:

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
Nope

Woodard, Perry, and Carter were legacies so it didn't take much for him to get them on campus. I'll give him Q, Hood, and Newman, but the latter 2 did absolutely nothing for us. I'm sorry but that list is not a ringing endorsement of one’s recruiting prowess.

You’re simply incorrect about those 3 recruitments.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

Lol, you think kids these days are just jumping to go play where their dad did? It gives you a connection but damn sure doesn’t guarantee anything, and could even work against you.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Lol, you think kids these days are just jumping to go play where their dad did? It gives you a connection but damn sure doesn’t guarantee anything, and could even work against you.

A lot on here have dismissed them as valid signees when it comes to discussing recruiting success. It has been interesting to see that narrative form.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013

We had to flip Reggie Perry it was by no means a lock he was coming to MSU

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
gravy train of a program and all he has to do is not screw it up so therefore we must keep Brooks. Jans has been around. Let's give him a chance to show what guys he can line up before we make rash decisions based on continuity.

I don't see anywhere in this thread where people are seeing this. If Jans keeps Brooks, great. If he doesn't, great. It's his call and he made it just fine at NMSU without Brooks. All I see here is folks getting called out who think Brooks brings nothing to the table. That's a foolish thing to think.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
All I see here is folks getting called out who think Brooks brings nothing to the table. That's a foolish thing to think.

Those calling out people who think Brooks brings nothing to the table apparently took a 4.5month break since that basically wasnt at all a talking point in the biweekly(2x/week, not 2x/month...stupid term) threads that complained about how our staff is a collective worthless waste of space.

Barely ever a peep for 4.5 months to defend Brooks' good name. Its just surprising to suddenly see people run to his defense.

Feb 23, 2008
It's the weird Mississippi State way. We seem to have a hard time letting people

go and move ahead. Tony Hughes is another good example. Good recruiter? Definitely. Coach? Eh I'm not sure on that. Have any of his position groups excelled to the point that he's untouchable? We've got too many people that think these are the only guys capable of recruiting. We're an SEC school for God's sakes. We can afford to find adequate replacements for head coaches that want to rebuild their own way.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
go and move ahead. Tony Hughes is another good example. Good recruiter? Definitely. Coach? Eh I'm not sure on that. Have any of his position groups excelled to the point that he's untouchable? We've got too many people that think these are the only guys capable of recruiting. We're an SEC school for God's sakes. We can afford to find adequate replacements for head coaches that want to rebuild their own way.

Hell even Mike Leach disagrees with you regarding Tony. Jimmy's Joe's not X's and O's. Again, the people who do not understand the value of people like Brooks and Tony are the segment of this fan case who can't be helped. They'll never get it and it is what holds us back against the big boys in the SEC

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login