Chris Jans Staff

Feb 23, 2008
Hahaha wait a minute. Did you just say not understanding the value of Brooks and Hughes is what's holding us back against the big boys? That take isn't hot. It's absolutely scorching. If this has any merit what so ever, wouldn't said big boys have already come calling to get them? I mean there have been plenty of job openings the last 20 years. I'm not taking anything away from their successes but to think we'd be completely screwed and never survive without them is a stretch. Everyone wants new blood when things are going south then it's like wait a minute... We can't lose this coach or that coach. I don't get it. And as you said, I guess I'll never get it.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
Hahaha wait a minute. Did you just say not understanding the value of Brooks and Hughes is what's holding us back against the big boys? That take isn't hot. It's absolutely scorching. If this has any merit what so ever, wouldn't said big boys have already come calling to get them? I mean there have been plenty of job openings the last 20 years. I'm not taking anything away from their successes but to think we'd be completely screwed and never survive without them is a stretch. Everyone wants new blood when things are going south then it's like wait a minute... We can't lose this coach or that coach. I don't get it. And as you said, I guess I'll never get it.

The last part of your statement is all I needed. Thank you. I appreciate your fandom. Hail State

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If Jans brings in two of his own from his staff I just don’t see why there’s an uproar about Brooks. It’s not like he’s assistant head coach.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If Jans brings in two of his own from his staff I just don’t see why there’s an uproar about Brooks. It’s not like he’s assistant head coach.

I am not saying Brooks should be gone. I genuinely have no idea how good each of the assistants were at in game coaching, helping develop players, etc. Maybe he is the silent but great type. Maybe he is the silent but knows where the bodies are buried type. No idea.

Again, it is just funny to have a thread where people are running to Brooks' defense and saying he should stay when I dont think that ever happened for 4.5 months of the basketball season. Thread after thread trashed Howland and staff, but Brooks wasnt defended like this. Thread after thread had posts saying 'throw em all to the curb!' and nobody came running to Brooks' defense. When I would point out the recruiting success MSU has had(largely associated to Brooks), posters continually trashed the recruiting and dismissed examples as either legacy players who fell into MSU's lap or unimpressive signings that any P5 program should get.

Its just funny to see the 180.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
So posters on here were upset that some of the good players Brooks recruited did not perform well at times and they made their voices heard. Not sure you are using sound logic. The new coach will hopefully allocate roles better and all players, regardless of who their lead recruiter was, perform better. We need to remember that Howland was not that far from taking the next step here. We were right there with the best of the SEC this year but did not win close games time and time again. IMO that's coaching. I hope Jans can get us over the hump that Howland never quite could.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I never said that so there’s that so it’s not really a 180 but whatever floats your boat. I don’t keep notes on who said what on here like you must apparently.

Just thought it might not be bad to have someone who’s been around here a little.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I never said that so there’s that so it’s not really a 180 but whatever floats your boat.

I think I followed what you mean?
I agree you did not say what I am referencing happened thru the season. I am speaking in a general collective SPS position here. I meant 'the board' as in how it is commonly used when there is an overwhelming singular position.
Some examples-
- the board dislike's Irish's posts.
- the board is better without C34.
- jethreauxdawg thinks the board is a bunch of fatties.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So either we get good talent or we don’t.

If we do, have we not been winning bc of coaching?

If we don’t, what does brooks bring to the table?

He recruits decently but I’d be happy with trying a different route.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Yea bro we can't beat Saban cause some of our fans think Brooks can't develop hot coffee.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
I am not saying Brooks should be gone. I genuinely have no idea how good each of the assistants were at in game coaching, helping develop players, etc. Maybe he is the silent but great type. Maybe he is the silent but knows where the bodies are buried type. No idea.

Again, it is just funny to have a thread where people are running to Brooks' defense and saying he should stay when I dont think that ever happened for 4.5 months of the basketball season. Thread after thread trashed Howland and staff, but Brooks wasnt defended like this. Thread after thread had posts saying 'throw em all to the curb!' and nobody came running to Brooks' defense. When I would point out the recruiting success MSU has had(largely associated to Brooks), posters continually trashed the recruiting and dismissed examples as either legacy players who fell into MSU's lap or unimpressive signings that any P5 program should get.

Its just funny to see the 180.

Maybe I've been too hard on Brooks and don't know what his responsibilities are. But watching this staff's teams do the same **** for 7 years got stale. Terrible half court sets, unforced TOs, bad FT shooting, inflexibility to change D's, inability to attack a zone trap, struggling against inferior opponents all the time. I don't wanna watch that crap any more. That's why my vote is to start anew with a fresh staff. However, if Jans sees value to keeping Brooks around, then I respect that. As I said before, the guy only lost 13 conference games in 5 years. I'm done talking about Brooks now.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021

Out of the 3 on court assistants under GB, by a wide margin, pulled the most weight. It's no secret he is extremely strong in MS and AL. So why go a different direction from the most valuable assistant the past however many years it is now. He is at the very least a net positive. Again, Jans may not see it that way and thats ok.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
And leave it to our fanbase to turn this into a pissing match between our two best recruiters on campus. We are..

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Nah petty is blaming our struggles across multiple sports on fans that think George Brooks can't develop players. His own son got immensely worse as soon as he got here. Is that fair to place that regression on Sr.'s shoulders? Probably not but he's an assistant coach. I really don't care. Jans will do his thing regardless of Brooks being here or not.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Like who?

I’m being serious.

Who does brooks get that other “top” programs want? I don’t mean duke, North Carolina, Kentucky.

I mean programs from say top 15 to top 35.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
For the love of God and MSU…Brooks nor ANY other assistant needs to be retained!
Clean out the Dawg house and move along!
Need a totally new staff.

I'll leave it the coaches, because that's there job, but let's face it: with only the fewest exceptions, our Jimmys and Joes ain't been all that inany sport.
Not in comparison to the rest of the SEC and even the school up north.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

We punch above our weight in recruiting. We don't just kill it, but we do pretty well considering the lack of local talent. As far as why we haven't been winning more, part of it is the talent still isn't that good (I think this year we had several good transfers that were still more or less role players). When it is good, several times the talent has left before we really got to reap the full benefits (Hood, DJ Stewart, Woodard, and now Molinar). A couple of times the ego was too big for the talent (Keglar, Neuman)) As far as coaching, we had three different years where we had the talent if we could have put it together, and two of those three years we were very inconsistent, and one we flamed out in the first round.

All that said, I don't disagree with you. I'm perfectly happy for Brooks to stay. If Jans thinks he can do better, I'm not opposed to that either.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
3 commits

1 of them has an offer from bama and Creighton according to your link

So you just looked at this years class? OK so every one of our current commits/signees are his guys. Losing Kugel stings bad as he was a McCray guy. Please see rest of list.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I agree with your post but this is hilarious coming from you.

“ Like so often happens here, people want to have their cake and eat it too, but you cant have it both ways and not also be laughed at.”

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I agree with your post but this is hilarious coming from you.

“ Like so often happens here, people want to have their cake and eat it too, but you cant have it both ways and not also be laughed at.”

Not surprised.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
You’re kinda reaching there. That wasn’t a recruiting issue and more of a family squabble.

well it was a bit of a family squabble with a touch of Adidas influence ...if you recall the timing was right in the middle of Auburn's FBI issues.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Woodard, Perry, and Carter were legacies so it didn't take much for him to get them on campus. I'll give him Q, Hood, and Newman, but the latter 2 did absolutely nothing for us. I'm sorry but that list is not a ringing endorsement of one’s recruiting prowess.

you do know Hood and Newman were legacies as well

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Kind of wish he would completely clean house. Enter in a new culture. Bring in a hyped up attitude to the program and fan base. I really think we need an intense rah rah guy to get everything back we used to have as far as team and environment in the hump.

When I think of brooks I think of him baby sitting Sidney. I remember him sitting with him at the huddle house one morning. And Sidney just bitching about something.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
It's probably been said already but Jans is bringing his top guy with him, James Miller who many at NMSU were expecting to be his replacement. NMSU went a different direction though.

[tweet]1508663585987350529[/tweet]

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't pretend to know anything of any value about this basketball program from the inside.

But, from the outside, we haven't been one of the 40 or so best programs in the country for a very long time, so feeling the need to maintain anything from that standard seems pointless.

Whatever Jans decides I'll support.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It doesn't hurt to have someone on staff with local ties. Keeping Brooks makes sense for recruiting.

Brooks is the AAU connection. It's a damn good thing he's staying. Anyone saying otherwise is a damn fool. He's now a special assistant to the HC. His primary focus is recruiting.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
It was me. He thinks we've had solid recruiting. I think it's been lazy and unsuccessful. Never mentioned George but sure, bring him into the conversation.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Unless I'm forgetting someone, MSU has pretty much produced two players in the last 40 years who actually were relevant in the NBA for multiple years. Jeff Malone and Erik Dampier. That's one in the last 39 or so seasons.

And there are a lot of NBA teams now and a lot of relevant players.

I say this only to say talent has been a serious issue pretty much forever at MSU.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It was me. He thinks we've had solid recruiting. I think it's been lazy and unsuccessful. Never mentioned George but sure, bring him into the conversation.

This is like saying 'I complained extensively about the coaching as I think its been lazy and unsuccessful. Never mentioned Howland, but sure bring him into the conversation.' since you dont have to specifically name someone for you to still talk about that person.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Unless I'm forgetting someone, MSU has pretty much produced two players in the last 40 years who actually were relevant in the NBA for multiple years. Jeff Malone and Erik Dampier. That's one in the last 39 or so seasons.

And there are a lot of NBA teams now and a lot of relevant players.

I say this only to say talent has been a serious issue pretty much forever at MSU.

College basketball talent /= equal NBA success.
That should be quite clear.

Even though none of these guys had NBA success, I would take a college team with Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, Lawrence Roberts, Hasheem Thabeet, and Jonny Flynn every day of the week and roll over any team we would play.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Don't be a moron. Takes like this is why we can't have educated debate here. Everybody can see the value of having Hughes and Brooks is MS recruiting (and other select areas around that are friendly to MSU). Getting the best players possible gives us a better chance to compete against the big boys. So, their value is higher to us than the big boys. Hughes wouldn't be much use to Florida, unless they have an intentional plan to recruit Mississippi.

See how I did that?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
College basketball talent /= equal NBA success.
That should be quite clear.

Even though none of these guys had NBA success, I would take a college team with Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, Lawrence Roberts, Hasheem Thabeet, and Jonny Flynn every day of the week and roll over any team we would play.

I really hope you have lots of fenceposts around your property.

Of course there are wonderful college players who don't make it in the NBA, but having NBA talent is a hallmark of consistently top notch college programs.

Just Google college teams with most players in the NBA. It's a who's who perennial Sweet Sixteen teams and National Champs

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login