Chris Low at ESPN says Bama finalizing contract for

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Gonna be honest with you… I don’t think DeBoer’s going to do well in the SEC and I don’t think he’s going to be a fit at Bama.

That’s not to say they won’t hire him, but I don’t think that’s a good match.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Gonna be honest with you… I don’t think DeBoer’s going to do well in the SEC and I don’t think he’s going to be a fit at Bama.

I think he's a good coach and obviously he's been successful but if I was making the pick I would've preferred someone with a little longer track record.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
You could go win 9-10 games occasionally at Bama.
But, occasionally isn’t good enough.
See Perkins, Curry, DuBose, Shula, Francione.
Since Bryant, only Gene Stallings and Saban had sustained long term success but all of the others coaches, as bad as they sometimes were, won 9 and 10 games at least once or twice at their time at Bama.
I think whoever they get will have the same type success or lack thereof of those other 5 mentioned.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
I think he's a good coach and obviously he's been successful but if I was making the pick I would've preferred someone with a little longer track record.
I think this is the knock and why it’s a bit of a risk. That said, I think he fits them most in how he runs his program. Not X’s and O’s necessarily, but his demeanor.

I think it’s a great hire, but we’ll see how it pans out. Norvell would have been a coup. If it ever got to Kiffin, that meant Bama struck out a lot.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sucks. He knows how to use the portal. He will win big immediately. Glad we don’t play them next year.

I was hoping they’d go the opposite direction and get Dabo.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think it is a smart move. He's not going to win the Big 10 with Washington but he is good enough coach to win the SEC at Bama. If they fire him he will leave with a butt load of money.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Right. He will win there consistently. Penix was nobody before he played for DeBoer. Good hire. I mean I hate it but it's a good hire for them. His talent level will be a huge step up from Washington

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think they have a major drop off. He's not familiar with recruiting the physicality he needs. Washington got abused in the front 7 by Michigan. Not to mention he relies on 3 stars too much or has. That's not gonna fly. I see this working for him at bama about like Mullen did at Florida. He will be good but not great. Things are lining up nicely for Kirby, kiffin, Sark, and drink. I think bama is is about to be in the 2nd tier of teams in sec

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I think it's a good hire for them. All he has to do is hire some coaches from the SE to help him with unfamiliar recruiting territory and he will have Saban nearby for a while it sounds like so he can lean on him if needed.

BulldogLegacy

Feb 27, 2008

You’re wrong. He’ll have a national championship in the next 3 years.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Based on what? You could end up being right but what about his resume would lead you to believe he couldn’t be successful at one of the historically most successful programs in the country?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Been successful everywhere he has been. Washington wasn't the first place he won big. Good recruiter. Turned Washington around quickly and took less talent to the NC than he will have the day he walks on campus.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Been successful everywhere he has been. Washington wasn't the first place he won big. Good recruiter. Turned Washington around quickly and took less talent to the NC than he will have the day he walks on campus.
He will have less QB talent at Alabama.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
He has three national championships at the NAIA level. What else do you need? He took Washington to the next level. He’ll do a great job at Bama, dammit.

MississippiTexan

Jun 11, 2014
Based on what? You could end up being right but what about his resume would lead you to believe he couldn’t be successful at one of the historically most successful programs in the country?
I'm not saying he's not going to be good, but based on his resume alone he's definitely high risk (for Bama standards). What about his resume makes so sure is going to be successful. His DI head coaching experience is 2 years at Fresno St. (12-6 record) and 2 years at Washington (25-3 record). Hard to say how he recruits because he hasn't stayed either place long enough to use his own recruits (remember Coach O won a natty in year 1 at LSU). He clearly had good transfers this year so that's a plus that he can work the transfer portal. Regardless, he hasn't coached in the southeast or the SEC and his team just got smoked against Michigan who is probably the most SEC like BIG team this year. Also winning in the PAC is way different than winning in the SEC.

To me Kiffin was the easy choice for best/lowest risk coach available. Personality wise maybe not a great match, but winning is what matters at Bama.

Reactions: Dawgg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He will have less QB talent at Alabama.
How do you figure ? Penix was an 85 out of high school and an 87 in the portal. No one but no one had ever heard of him before Washington signed him. Penix was not nearly as good against a real defense. He does throw a pretty deep ball but any pass rush knocks him off his spot.

patdog

May 28, 2007
How do you figure ? Penix was an 85 out of high school and an 87 in the portal. No one but no one had ever heard of him before Washington signed him. Penix was not nearly as good against a real defense. He does throw a pretty deep ball but any pass rush knocks him off his spot.
I don’t care what he was rated. He’s better than any QB Alabamas ever had.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
He has three national championships at the NAIA level. What else do you need? He took Washington to the next level. He’ll do a great job at Bama, dammit.

Winning at NAIA ain't winning in the SEC.....We shall see but I expect them to still be good but not great.......

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Why is he not a fit? Took Washington to the national championship game and went 3-0 against teams that outmatched his in talent (Oregon x 2, Texas). He’s a pretty damn good coach.

Will he be as good as Saban? Nah, but there’s a 0% chance of anyone meeting that threshold.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Since Bryant, only Gene Stallings and Saban had sustained long term success but all of the others coaches, as bad as they sometimes were, won 9 and 10 games at least once or twice at their time at Bama.
I think whoever they get will have the same type success or lack thereof of those other 5 mentioned.
Franchione left for A&M….was in good standing his entire tenure.

DuBose and Shula were a coordinators that got the job in Arnett type fashion when they had no obvious successor to Stallings and then the Price disaster. Curry and Perkins were similarly unqualified.

DeBoer doesn’t have a “Saban when he was hired at Bama” resume, but what he has is actually better than a “Saban when he was hired at LSU” resume. On paper, he’s got a better track record at the time of the hire than anyone that they’ve ever hired besides Saban. Comparing him to their string of failures in the late 90’s to early 2000’s is pretty silly.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think they have a major drop off. He's not familiar with recruiting the physicality he needs. Washington got abused in the front 7 by Michigan.
Pretty sure Alabama got abused in the front 7 by Michigan too. Did you even watch that game?

No coach just targets softness in their front 7…..everyone wants all the same guys. But there’s only so many elites to go around. 90% land in the SEC, and 50% of that 90% land at Bama / LSU / UGA.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

The issue is, no one wants to follow Saban. No one. Now, everyone wants to be the next guy after the guy that followed Saban.

I personally would love to follow Saban. Dude has a stacked roster and you will win immediately.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I heard of him when he was at Indiana. Any half-way aware CFB fan did as well.

Reactions: BirdPuppy

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I mean you could make a similar breakdown to msu.

We have 2 tenured coaches in 33 years

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login