Chris Parson's recruitment does NOT mean Leach is "evolving".....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
....and I really wish that ignorant line of thinking would fade out among the talking heads, podcasters and fans. All it means is that Leach has found a QB that, in addition to handling the passing game, can also run fast. That's it, that's all, nothing more. He's not changing the offense to more running. We will run it if the defense gives that to us, not because we are intentionally changing the offense.

What is the difference in Sawyer Robertson and Chris Parson? A couple of inches in height, and skin color, Parson is slightly faster. That's it. Yet here folks go talking about dual threat and what not, as if that particular quality is what we're chasing. We are not, we are looking for passers first, the run game is simply an added bonus of what Robertson/Parson can do, not the focal point.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've seen posts saying Leach was evolving his offense for 2 years now. I've yet to see anything that makes me think that's the case.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yeah, Leach does not strike me as the type of guy who is going to do a lot of evolving. History would back up not evolving much. He’s won a lot of games at places that typically don’t win a lot of games.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I've seen posts saying Leach was evolving his offense for 2 years now. I've yet to see anything that makes me think that's the case.

I don’t know that leach can modify his offense much. His offense works because he does a ton of repetitions so the team can execute it close to perfectly and take what the defense gives. There’s probably only so much he can add as far as wrinkles and adjustments before losing some sharpness on the base routes.

May be wrong, but I’m not sure the other air raid based offenses can run the same plays over and over still.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
You know part of the fun of college football, especially during the off-season, is speculation- right?

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
If people read the interviews and articles they eould see one of the many reasons Parson committed here is he wants to show he is a pass first QB. He does not want to be labeled a " running QB". This MSU forum is not where you come for accurate info about the Dawgs. Opinion is the best ya get and you know what they say about opinions

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I don’t expect any long term changes in Leach’s scheme as long as he’s here.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don’t expect any long term changes in Leach’s scheme as long as he’s here.

Just think how good that offense would be if Rogers had speed and the ability to run. That would be just one more element defense would have to worry about.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
The “evolution” is not Leach running a Lincoln Riley style offense, but recruiting players with high ceilings in terms of extending plays and arm talent, instead of the dipping into the same old overdeveloped Texas air raid QB pool.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The “evolution” is not Leach running a Lincoln Riley style offense, but recruiting players with high ceilings in terms of extending plays and arm talent, instead of the dipping into the same old overdeveloped Texas air raid QB pool.

Yeah, think of someone like Mahomes. Mahomes had the ability to run but does not a ton. He does a fair amount but more times than not mahomes scrambles behind the line of scrimmage to extend plays and give receivers the ability to get open

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
This guy brings something different! Deal with it. Leach’s play calls may not be different but the results could be.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You act as if the Chris Parsons of the world fall off trees. Hint: they don't. The ones that sign them, benefit.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This guy brings something different! Deal with it. Leach’s play calls may not be different but the results could be.
Yeah sure man I'll "deal with it". Ever heard of a guy named Johnny Football? That's what happens when a true dual threat gets a hold of the Air Raid.

Get back to me on the comprehension.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
NOPE. I'm very much pro-Leach and celebrating this commitment. I think the people that say Leach would OR should, evolve, are idiots.

I think people wanting him to change his system significantly are unrealistic, but I will withhold my opinion on whether he should evolve until after I see how we handle SEC DE's this year. If we don't have an answer when our Tackles can't win 1 on 1 battles, I will be on board with him needing to evolve. Granted, it's hard for any offense to be effective if one of the OTs consistently needs help, but that happens in the SEC and you have to have a way to at least stay in the game.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
....and I really wish that ignorant line of thinking would fade out among the talking heads, podcasters and fans. All it means is that Leach has found a QB that, in addition to handling the passing game, can also run fast. That's it, that's all, nothing more. He's not changing the offense to more running. We will run it if the defense gives that to us, not because we are intentionally changing the offense.

The results are in. According to Mike Leach's 20+yr history as a coach, when it comes to running the ball bc the D gives it to them, it has been determined: That was a lie!

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Yeah, think of someone like Mahomes. Mahomes had the ability to run but does not a ton. He does a fair amount but more times than not mahomes scrambles behind the line of scrimmage to extend plays and give receivers the ability to get open

Watching the video on Parson, this is what excites me. Strong quick accurate throws, good footwork and really quick feet. I'm way more interested in a QB who can avoid sacks and deliver accurate balls than I am one who might get out for a 15 yard scamper to the sideline now and again.

He looks like a really good one to me. We shall see (hopefully).

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Exactly. Will had 62 rushing attempts in 2021. He was listed as being sacked 34 times for a loss of 210 yards, with an overall rushing total of -97 yards. That means on the other 28 carries / scrambles, he averaged about 4 yards before going down. That’s not very good even for a non-runner at QB. Adding a guy who can get sacked maybe 10 less times per year and also turn those 4 yard scrambles into 10-15 yard scrambles will be huge.

We don’t need Nick Fitzgerald or Johnny Manziel. But if we have a guy that simply provides net positive rushing yards from the QB position, that’s a big deal in this offense.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Exactly. Will had 62 rushing attempts in 2021. He was listed as being sacked 34 times for a loss of 210 yards, with an overall rushing total of -97 yards. That means on the other 28 carries / scrambles, he averaged about 4 yards before going down. That’s not very good even for a non-runner at QB. Adding a guy who can get sacked maybe 10 less times per year and also turn those 4 yard scrambles into 10-15 yard scrambles will be huge.

We don’t need Nick Fitzgerald or Johnny Manziel. But if we have a guy that simply provides net positive rushing yards from the QB position, that’s a big deal in this offense.

The offense works better when the QB can be patient and try to move around and allow the play to develop. That’s how chunk plays will happen. I’ll admit it would be nice to have a QB with ability to take advantage of an easy 8-10 yards if nothing opens up… but allowing the pass play to develop will always be better.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The offense works better when the QB can be patient and try to move around and allow the play to develop. That’s how chunk plays will happen. I’ll admit it would be nice to have a QB with ability to take advantage of an easy 8-10 yards if nothing opens up… but allowing the pass play to develop will always be better.

Totally agree. Avoiding sacks and extending plays is the much bigger deal. But even taking 1 yard sacks instead of 7-8 yard sacks and the aforementioned scrambling will be improvements that also can’t be discounted.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Because I was bored last week, I watched the 2008 Texas-Texas Tech game on YouTube. Graham Harrell was the qb for Tech. One thing I noticed is that he has the ability to avoid the rush, extend plays and find a receiver downfield. Several times, plays that probably would’ve been sacks with statue Rogers were completions downfield because Harrell was able to avoid the rush and scramble when needed. A mobile quarterback doesn’t necessarily mean Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick. Just someone who can avoid the rush, extend plays and scramble for positive yards when needed.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It helps when you have a Fred Bilenitkoff (sp?) Award-winner at WR, too

(Of course, this team did lose to Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl, too. I'm sure we'll overlook that)

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I’m not sure how you got that from what I wrote. I’ve said on here before that Parson reminds me of Bryce Young in terms of his style of play.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Gonna be honest... If Leach wins games, I don't care if the Leach playbook consists solely of:

Fake Punt
Flea Flicker
Statue of Liberty
Flying Wedge
Flying V
Pick & Roll
Picket Fence
Waxahachie Swap
The extra Dolphins Pass Play from Tecmo Bowl.

I mean... beautiful football is fun to watch, but winning >>>>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login