Clarify my position On Will Rogers

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I've re-read my posts today and it could come off as if I like Will as a QB and I am defending him. So to clarify, I wish we had a better QB than Will. What I am saying is so far this season is not his fault alone. Coach Arnett has proven so far he was not ready for his current position. His media commentary, with the Fbomb and the admission of a horrible job by the coaches after the Az game and today's comment on the horrible first half his team played is just not something a head coach should be doing. Hopefully he learns from this.

I wrote last year how Will is absolutely uninspiring and a chicken. He refused multiple times in important situations to not do something heroic. He did kinda prove that to be probably the correct move in games after that when he could not hold onto a football from any form of contact. I listened today about how the LSU QB had worked on his body and put on 15 pounds this year to help him be tougher. I wrote this past week how Will did not seem to do any of that in all the years he has been here. He did not do anything physically to make himself better, faster or stronger. With that said I am not at practices so I have to assume the coaches are playing the guy they think is their best option. If they are not, they better start soon or they won't get to keep learning here.

The first half in today's game he never had a chance to complete passes. In the second half against LSU's second team he did have time and still was missing pass after pass. So ultimately he was "turrible" today. If he's not the best option, he should sit. However, I don't think the coaches are gonna put their jobs on the line to play Will Rogers.

One thing about the Air Raid. I know there are plenty of folks on this board that hate it and think it is a gimmick and not something you can ultimately win with. I won't say that until a team like the 2019 LSU Tigers with Joe Burrow and those receivers use it and fail. If a Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama type team uses it and fails then I will join your caterwauling. It seems to be an offense that helps less physically gifted teams be able to compete against better teams. It just never seemed to be given a prime time shot. Hell look what it did for Will Rogers stats.

The rest of this season this staff better learn how to coach SEC football. They better learn to keep stuff in house. They better learn how to inspire their players.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Will was awesome in Mike Leach's system. If Leach was still with us, Will would leave MSU as one of the most decorated QBs in college football history. It is what it is. Leach ain't with us anymore. NOBODY runs the pure Mike Leach system......now. It is an antiquated offense in any other hands. I hate it for Will. I hate it for MSU. We have to move on.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I've re-read my posts today and it could come off as if I like Will as a QB and I am defending him. So to clarify, I wish we had a better QB than Will. What I am saying is so far this season is not his fault alone. Coach Arnett has proven so far he was not ready for his current position. His media commentary, with the Fbomb and the admission of a horrible job by the coaches after the Az game and today's comment on the horrible first half his team played is just not something a head coach should be doing. Hopefully he learns from this.

I wrote last year how Will is absolutely uninspiring and a chicken. He refused multiple times in important situations to not do something heroic. He did kinda prove that to be probably the correct move in games after that when he could not hold onto a football from any form of contact. I listened today about how the LSU QB had worked on his body and put on 15 pounds this year to help him be tougher. I wrote this past week how Will did not seem to do any of that in all the years he has been here. He did not do anything physically to make himself better, faster or stronger. With that said I am not at practices so I have to assume the coaches are playing the guy they think is their best option. If they are not, they better start soon or they won't get to keep learning here.

The first half in today's game he never had a chance to complete passes. In the second half against LSU's second team he did have time and still was missing pass after pass. So ultimately he was "turrible" today. If he's not the best option, he should sit. However, I don't think the coaches are gonna put their jobs on the line to play Will Rogers.

One thing about the Air Raid. I know there are plenty of folks on this board that hate it and think it is a gimmick and not something you can ultimately win with. I won't say that until a team like the 2019 LSU Tigers with Joe Burrow and those receivers use it and fail. If a Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama type team uses it and fails then I will join your caterwauling. It seems to be an offense that helps less physically gifted teams be able to compete against better teams. It just never seemed to be given a prime time shot. Hell look what it did for Will Rogers stats.

The rest of this season this staff better learn how to coach SEC football. They better learn to keep stuff in house. They better learn how to inspire their players.
I agree with you 100%, but if you try to use logic right now, you're wasting your breath on this crew. We have so many armchair coaches you can never compete with them or their reasoning. I was talking too much about this today, but I am through arguing. I was not taking up for Will either, but what can you do? Take a quarterback who couldn't make it at Vanderbilt and put him into the starting lineup?

The best chance we have is a start from scratch and play a new quarterback. Just tell Will we appreciate your help in the past, but **** off. He is definitely not the best quarterback we have but at the moment he's the most experienced, but after I've heard everything about how he destroys our entire team, I am ready to start a freshman and let these quarterbacks savants have their day. Let's go ahead and start Wright not our freshman he has a history of playing Heisman Trophy-caliber football. I am finished arguing.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I agree with you 100%, but if you try to use logic right now, you're wasting your breath on this crew. We have so many armchair coaches you can never compete with them or their reasoning. I was talking too much about this today, but I am through arguing. I was not taking up for Will either, but what can you do? Take a quarterback who couldn't make it at Vanderbilt and put him into the starting lineup?

The best chance we have is a start from scratch and play a new quarterback. Just tell Will we appreciate your help in the past, but **** off. He is definitely not the best quarterback we have but at the moment he's the most experienced, but after I've heard everything about how he destroys our entire team, I am ready to start a freshman and let these quarterbacks savants have their day. Let's go ahead and start Wright not our freshman he has a history of playing Heisman Trophy-caliber football. I am finished arguing.
Start Chris Parson. If you are going to build for the future get the young guy out there and let him figure it out. Let Wright spell him when needed. To me it looked like everyone on offense was confused. I saw Will yelling at receivers after plays because they went the wrong way, I saw him short hop a couple of passes to prevent interception. He missed on a few downfield passes that were open. LSU came in with a good defensive game plan. Blitz our weak OL and rush Will.
Personally, I don't care who plays QB. I don't think this offensive staff knows what they are doing and it translates to the field.

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
The heat is about to start getting turned up on the staff. If they have favored Will over the others in the QB room because of his past success they are going to start rethinking that approach. If that isn’t the case, and he actually gives us our best chance to win because of his grasp of the offense and his performance at practice, then he is our QB and we are going to continue to ride him. I have to think he is playing because he gives us the best chance to win. That’s the coaches jobs to determine, and they damn sure know more about it than we do.

Will is the same QB he has been. He can do a lot of things well. He did well in the air raid because of the general approach of quick hit passes that are mostly based on short, timing based routes. This approach also significantly helped the line protect him. We aren’t doing that any longer. We are running plays that have to develop and asking the line to protect him for longer to execute play action fakes and slower developing routes. It’s a problem for Will and a problem for the line. Will can complete a high percentage of his passes with protection. He has proven for years that he can do so. He has no protection and he is looking at the guys rushing him instead of being freed up from that to look downfield. Couple that with lack of mobility and this is what you get.

LSU’s talent is so far beyond ours that it looked worse than it will most weeks. LSU put their subs in and we drove down and scored. Their subs are closer to most teams that we play. We will look better than this in most games. We aren’t going to be great, but we will be better. We can still win some games.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Will has now played 3 total non Air Raid games in his entire football career. It'll take him a few years to learn this new system

• Haha
Reactions: Mud84

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Will was awesome in Mike Leach's system. If Leach was still with us, Will would leave MSU as one of the most decorated QBs in college football history. It is what it is. Leach ain't with us anymore. NOBODY runs the pure Mike Leach system......now. It is an antiquated offense in any other hands. I hate it for Will. I hate it for MSU. We have to move on.
Did you say awesome?

Did you ever watch any of those games?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Will is one of us (not like Kenny Stokes though). But he's struggled to make reads and throws for a long time. Holds the ball too long, weak arm, little athleticism. He's been bad at practice too. The coaches have a loyalty issue to several guys.

Secfortheblind

Jul 23, 2023
I do agree that it is very past time to move on from this p*ssy but he was not good for leaches system. Leachs system was built for takin shots down the field which Will can’t do and he will never be able to do. All he did was check down to the running back every play because he can’t see the field. He is a great Southern Miss QB but he will never be an SEC QB

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The main problem with Will is the team has lost confidence in him. NO ONE knows if Wright is THE answer but if you can't see the teams demeaner perks up when he runs on the field you're not watching.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I do agree that it is very past time to move on from this p*ssy but he was not good for leaches system. Leachs system was built for takin shots down the field which Will can’t do and he will never be able to do. All he did was check down to the running back every play because he can’t see the field. He is a great Southern Miss QB but he will never be an SEC QB

You need some learning, son...

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The main problem with Will is the team has lost confidence in him. NO ONE knows if Wright is THE answer but if you can't see the teams demeaner perks up when he runs on the field you're not watching.

Perks up so much they jump before the snap.

I'm kidding. I have no answers after yesterday. They can do what they want. I'll still watch, like a slobbering idiot. Always have.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

The truth is we made bad hires. Barbay took an app state team that was 7-1 in conference to a 3-5 team in conference with returning SR QB and two 1000 yard backs.

It was a bad hire from the point of he is unproven and from the point that we were taking a SR TEAM and expected them to be masters at a new UNPROVEN system.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Will played badly yesterday, like most of the team.

But, your dislike of him is almost pathological. I honestly can't understand it.
I don't dislike him. I dislike when he plays poorly. That happens more often than not.

The real idiots on this issue are the ones who label someone a hater because they don't have anything of substance to respond with.

• Sad

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't dislike him. I dislike when he plays poorly. That happens more often than not.

The real idiots on this issue are the ones who label someone a hater because they don't have anything of substance to respond with.

You've been responded to before with stats from his good games. You don't seem to like him much when he plays good, but maybe I'm wrong.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You've been responded to before with stats from his good games. You don't seem to like him much when he plays good, but maybe I'm wrong.
And you've been responded to with the fact that he threw 45 screen passes every game which explains his completion percentage and completions, and yards after catch explain his receiving yards. You're being obtuse and intentionally argumentative over a subject you can't defend. He's a fine person. He's not a fine qb. There is game after game of evidence showing this that you are choosing to ignore.

I'd love him as a football player if he gave us a chance to win games instead of limiting our offense.

There should be no sacred cows here. I suggest you give yours up.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Will was not awesome. Will Rogers has never been more than average. He was in a system where he performed like any Division 1 level QB would. Our fans had amnesia during the Leach era. We won many games in spite of Will.

The defense is the mystery. Not sure what happened.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
And you've been responded to with the fact that he threw 45 screen passes every game which explains his completion percentage and completions, and yards after catch explain his receiving yards. You're being obtuse and intentionally argumentative over a subject you can't defend. He's a fine person. He's not a fine qb. There is game after game of evidence showing this that you are choosing to ignore.

I'd love him as a football player if he gave us a chance to win games instead of limiting our offense.

There should be no sacred cows here. I suggest you give yours up.

I've never thought he was a great QB. I don't think I've said it on here, but if I did it was in a moment of euphoria over a good win.

He has had some great games within the system he's best at. He's also apparently been the best overall QB on our roster pretty clearly for the vast majority of his career, so I've chosen to support him, even in his bad efforts. And I'll damn sure praise him when he has really good games because he's the QB of my favorite football team.

If that's having a sacred cow, then I'll just continue to be guilty of that.

And I'll lay off bitching about your position on Will. It won't do any good for anybody.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I think that at a minimum, the OL has to not be a turnstile before you can assess a QB. If we had a mobile QB yesterday, he might have a evaded some of what came but it might also have resulted in picks from bad throws in the run, etc. and we would be saying “well, he was running for his life all night”

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think that at a minimum, the OL has to not be a turnstile before you can assess a QB. If we had a mobile QB yesterday, he might have a evaded some of what came but it might also have resulted in picks from bad throws in the run, etc. and we would be saying “well, he was running for his life all night”
If we had a 6'7' 260 lbs QB, he still would have gotten killed. Wait till you see LSU's DL play future teams. They would be in the middle of the CFP if they had a different coach, and they may still make it in spite of Kelly. The only teams I saw in the SEC yesterday that looked as if they might give LSU a good game or Georgia and Florida and they are both in the East. They should have made our talent level look like it did and those without Maroon glasses should see this pretty easily.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's clear already that the sec is propping up LSU to make it to the playoffs with Georgia. Watch them continue to get Bama like treatment this season

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
What. The. Hell.

When he is given protection, he is accurate within 10 yards of the LOS.

Who/What have you been watching the past 3 and a quarter seasons? He is what he is. He could be behind an all pro nfl line with all pro nfl receivers. He would still
dump it off to Marks for 3-8 yard gain.

Off topic, but it is embarrassing our all time leading receiver is a running back. Thanks Will!

• Sad

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007

I agree with everything but the awesome part. He was adequate in Leach's system and Leach could make him look better than he was but he hasn't got any business taking snaps for anybody else.

Sep 16, 2023
Weak arm, may as well have the Great Wall of China at 15+ yards, immobile, scared of contact and prone to turnovers. He worked well in Leach’s offense because I think we all overlook how much of an offensive genius leach really was. He is simply a product of Leach’s system and is riding on the legacy Leach built through him. Our coaching staff will be loyal to him because he is a senior and we are loyal to a fault. MSU finishes bottom 2 in the West and we miss a bowl. When is baseball season?

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
If we had a 6'7' 260 lbs QB, he still would have gotten killed. Wait till you see LSU's DL play future teams. They would be in the middle of the CFP if they had a different coach, and they may still make it in spite of Kelly. The only teams I saw in the SEC yesterday that looked as if they might give LSU a good game or Georgia and Florida and they are both in the East. They should have made our talent level look like it did and those without Maroon glasses should see this pretty easily.
So here’s where I disagree. If Will was LSU’s QB, LSU would’ve struggled to score. Why? Because our defensive philosophy would’ve been completely different. Daniel’s legs completely changes everything we had to do defensively. Our front 7 is good enough to control the run game (we did even with Daniels running it). Bookie and Johnson would’ve terrorized statue with the center blitz all night. It would’ve been ugly.

Same for Arizona. You put Will on Arizona they score 10 points. MAYBE.

And that’s the problem.

If Daniels was our QB in the LSU game, we would’ve scored in the 20s at least. Why? Same reason. LSU would’ve had to use Perkins as a spy every other play. Stunts they were doing up front wouldn’t have been called because wide open lanes would’ve showed up that Daniels could have exploited. And Daniels could’ve thrown the deep ball.

At Miss state, we will never have an offense talented enough to score against the big boys with a game manager at QB. Relf, Fitz, Dak, even Schrader showed it his freshman year (Tennessee near comeback). All 4 of those guys could change a game with their legs.

At Miss state, the ONLY way we can minimize the talent discrepancy on the lines from the big boys is a QB with legs or a Randy Moss type receiver that always has to be in bracket coverage. Arizona nearly beat us because of their QB, it looked like to me we were better at every position but receiver.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's funny because you are wearing maroon glasses in your avatar

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
So here’s where I disagree. If Will was LSU’s QB, LSU would’ve struggled to score. Why? Because our defensive philosophy would’ve been completely different. Daniel’s legs completely changes everything we had to do defensively. Our front 7 is good enough to control the run game (we did even with Daniels running it). Bookie and Johnson would’ve terrorized statue with the center blitz all night. It would’ve been ugly.

Same for Arizona. You put Will on Arizona they score 10 points. MAYBE.

And that’s the problem.

If Daniels was our QB in the LSU game, we would’ve scored in the 20s at least. Why? Same reason. LSU would’ve had to use Perkins as a spy every other play. Stunts they were doing up front wouldn’t have been called because wide open lanes would’ve showed up that Daniels could have exploited. And Daniels could’ve thrown the deep ball.

At Miss state, we will never have an offense talented enough to score against the big boys with a game manager at QB. Relf, Fitz, Dak, even Schrader showed it his freshman year (Tennessee near comeback). All 4 of those guys could change a game with their legs.

At Miss state, the ONLY way we can minimize the talent discrepancy on the lines from the big boys is a QB with legs or a Randy Moss type receiver that always has to be in bracket coverage. Arizona nearly beat us because of their QB, it looked like to me we were better at every position but receiver.
You're letting one man cloud your judgment it's really getting sad. We might've scored 20 if we had Dak back at quarterback.

ETA - and return the LSU record at least two or three more touchdowns, because Kelly wouldn't have taken his foot off the pedal like he did.

Nov 25, 2019
Start Chris Parson. If you are going to build for the future get the young guy out there and let him figure it out. Let Wright spell him when needed. To me it looked like everyone on offense was confused. I saw Will yelling at receivers after plays because they went the wrong way, I saw him short hop a couple of passes to prevent interception. He missed on a few downfield passes that were open. LSU came in with a good defensive game plan. Blitz our weak OL and rush Will.
Personally, I don't care who plays QB. I don't think this offensive staff knows what they are doing and it translates to the field.
you do care who plays QB because you suggested 2 changes. I think a mobile QB gives us a better chance to keep the chains moving.
Don't know how good Parson's is or do we just throw him out there? Wright might be the way to go for now. Is he a Chris Relf or is he better?
Worth a shot.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
It’s thanks for the memories Will.
Time to move on. No idea how good Wright would be but he’d make the defense have to account for his legs.
This offense needs a mobile QB.

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
we no longer can afford to have a pass only QB unless we run a pass only offense. In today's game, a QB is an extra runner that can run at least a 4.5

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Cole Cubelic put it succinctly on his weekly SEC Takeaways on Twitter. It looks like we are running two different systems on offense.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Weak arm, may as well have the Great Wall of China at 15+ yards, immobile, scared of contact and prone to turnovers. He worked well in Leach’s offense because I think we all overlook how much of an offensive genius leach really was. He is simply a product of Leach’s system and is riding on the legacy Leach built through him. Our coaching staff will be loyal to him because he is a senior and we are loyal to a fault. MSU finishes bottom 2 in the West and we miss a bowl. When is baseball basketball season?
FIFY

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012

That's how the other side feels as well. If you can't see that Wright is the better fit for the offense we are running then you can't be helped. Nobody is saying that Wright is a better passer or that he's going to turn into Russell Wilson. Wright brings mobility and running threat and the defense has to account for him. They don't have to account for Rogers. Having Wright at QB also opens up running lanes for the running backs and stops defense from blitzing every play. But please carry on with your insanity thinking that Will is going to be a good fit for the offense we are running.

You guys say Will is a great QB but he's a system QB and that's it. He has all those yards because of yards after catch. He's not out there slinging it 15 or 20 yards down the field. I'd guess that 70% of Will's passes are 5 yards or less and 90% are 10 yards and in. Quit acting like he's out there fitting passes into tight coverages or hitting guys running down the field. He's been over throwing and throwing behind his receivers from day 1 and still doing it. He's nice guy and that's great but nice guys don't win football games. Playmakers do and so far the only QB that has shown any playmaker ability is Wright.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
you do care who plays QB because you suggested 2 changes. I think a mobile QB gives us a better chance to keep the chains moving.
Don't know how good Parson's is or do we just throw him out there? Wright might be the way to go for now. Is he a Chris Relf or is he better?
Worth a shot.
I don't care what the coaches decide I just suggested Parson for the future. What I say carries as much weight as everyone else on here and that ain't worth a packet of sugar for what the coaches think. Unlike most on here I think the problems with this team are deeper than QB. Y'all see Will throwing to open field and under throwing receivers. I see receivers running their routes wrong and Will intentionally short hoping a pass to keep from throwing an int in order to avoid a sack. Yes, he over threw a couple of open receivers. I also saw a couple of missed catches.
It will be interesting to see what this coaching staff does to prepare for Carolina. Matt Wyatt understands what Will is going through. Evidently, the play book for this offense is a lot more complicated than Leach's and Will's not the only one struggling with it. The defense played as bad as the offense in the LSU and 2nd half of AZ game. There is plenty of blame to go around but y'all enjoy ganging up on Will. And quit saying he's a nice guy to make people think y'all are compassionate. Football could care less if you are a nice guy or an *ss.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Not a single one of you is going to lose their job because Will is the starting QB at Mississippi State. The two guys that can lose their job are playing him over the other options. So stop trying to prove how smart you are. Obviously if we could talk Patrick Mahomes to come play at MSU, we would have a better QB, Captain Obvious. I am tired of people wanting to play someone we don't have.

Oct 13, 2012
Not a single one of you is going to lose their job because Will is the starting QB at Mississippi State. The two guys that can lose their job are playing him over the other options. So stop trying to prove how smart you are. Obviously if we could talk Patrick Mahomes to come play at MSU, we would have a better QB, Captain Obvious. I am tired of people wanting to play someone we don't have.
nm

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I can't believe a veteran offensive line who all blocked in the Air Raid last season are this bad at pass blocking. It can't be just the splits. Will is all he will ever be and the best option we have, so these linemen need to step up and give him more time. Earlier this year both Arnett and Barbay said that they still have Air Raid elements in their offense. Its time to lean on those plays a little more until they can get a QB to run Barbay's system.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login