Clark and now Cumbest move OFF the plate!

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
It's Wes Rea all over. Why would you stand at the plate where there are stikes that can be thrown that you can't possibly hit in fair territory or get the barrel of the bat on. Both of these guys are over 6'3". They have long arms. They need to give some breathing room to the plate. To hit anything belt high on the inner third of the plate they have to manipulate their swing plane to get the barrel of the bat on the ball. If you just move away to where when you swing your hands don't go over the plate, you eliminate having to make big adjustments. You are trying to hit the ball about 18-22 inches away from your top hand. The plate is 17 inches wide. Your hands don't generally need to be over the plate.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
It's Wes Rea all over. Why would you stand at the plate where there are stikes that can be thrown that you can't possibly hit in fair territory or get the barrel of the bat on. Both of these guys are over 6'3". They have long arms. They need to give some breathing room to the plate. To hit anything belt high on the inner third of the plate they have to manipulate their swing plane to get the barrel of the bat on the ball. If you just move away to where when you swing your hands don't go over the plate, you eliminate having to make big adjustments. You are trying to hit the ball about 18-22 inches away from your top hand. The plate is 17 inches wide. Your hands don't generally need to be over the plate.

Great advice from someone who really knows what he is talking about....

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I can agree from a personal point of view. I'm 6'3" and I could not stand to be up close to the plate. As long as you can cover the plate with your bat and make sure you're striding into the ball and not hauling off when you swing you should be able to cover the plate without standing on top of it.

The only hitch in this is that Cumbest is batting over 300 and slugging the ball like crazy

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Cumbest had been away from the plate earlier. Now maybe it is partly the angle of the centerfield camera that is making him look likes he is closer but I am looking at the white line and he seemed to be just 1 or 2 inches from it yesterday. He was further away earlier this year.

Clark at times has his toes on the line and is rarely more than a couple of inches away from it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Cumbest had been away from the plate earlier. Now maybe it is partly the angle of the centerfield camera that is making him look likes he is closer but I am looking at the white line and he seemed to be just 1 or 2 inches from it yesterday. He was further away earlier this year.

Clark at times has his toes on the line and is rarely more than a couple of inches away from it.

It's kinda hard for me to tell with his stance but I have made that argument way too many times when watching bigger guys. I wonder if it's ingrained in them early and never adjusted by their coaches when puberty struck and lengthened their limbs.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Against LSU he was striking out because pitchers were throwing outside sinkers that were called strikes.
He tried to swing but they were beyond his reach. I assume the coaches had him move closer to the plate for that reason.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My initial response to this was going to be, "what the eff do you know?" then I saw who the OP was. One of the best hitters to ever wear maroon and white and and my favorite baseball bulldog.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
To hit anything belt high on the inner third of the plate they have to manipulate their swing plane to get the barrel of the bat on the ball. If you just move away to where when you swing your hands don't go over the plate, you eliminate having to make big adjustments.

You know more than anybody on this board about hitting a round ball with a round bat, so I’m not disagreeing with you here. Im just asking.

Wouldn’t they be making contact with anything “Belt high on the inner third” in front of the base and not directly over the base? Thus giving the swing plane more time to close itself, and more time to get the barrel around to pull that inside pitch? You don’t take the inside pitch up the middle right, you make
contact out in front which gives you room to extend your arms (since you’re extending forward)? And that extra room allows the barrel to get around. just a thought

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
Inches

Your Hall of Fame coaching from the couch can measure the inch of each batters stance game to game on tv, much less by tv while eating nachos? You are an idiot, along with the remainder of the Debbie downer fan base who’s lives are predicated on the temporary failure of others. Winners look for opportunities, losers seek to bring winners down with them.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I saw Vlad Guerrero hit one this week and also Christian Walker hit one against the Mets. To do what you are talking is possible, but it requires a different move than a regular swing. You really have to bring your hands in front of your body and keep the barrel of the bat back. I haven't seen Clark swing like that once. He gets the barrel out in front and the only place that ball can go is into the first base stands. The picture below is the Walker home run on a very good pitch inside. See how his hands are in front of his open body, but the barrel of the bat is still back. There was a drill that Gene Clines showed me where you stand facing a fence where you can reach out and touch the fence. You then swing the bat without hitting the fence. It gives you the feel of doing that type of hitting.

View attachment 24320

I was more in the Mike Schmidt mindset. I eliminated the inside pitch all together by standing way off the plate. I did not have to make a different move on any pitch that was over the plate. I found it did two things. I eliminated getting jammed and was able to allow the ball to get deeper on me. I also found that the umpire rarely called that outside pitch on the black because it looked too far away from me. My perfect swing was a line drive to right center field. I could hit balls left of third but never really hit them into the third base side stands.

View attachment 24321

I really believe this would help him so much. Clark's last AB today he watched 3 fastballs and never swung. He swung at the one bad pitch. I just don't understand how you get fooled by a fastball. And he is not the only MSU batter to do that.

Last edited:

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Maybe I’m wrong but it appears Clark is swinging for the fence, every swing.
I wish him and all our players would practice going to the opposite field more at times.
And, yes, I know it’s not easy.

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
Your Hall of Fame coaching from the couch can measure the inch of each batters stance game to game on tv, much less by tv while eating nachos? You are an idiot, along with the remainder of the Debbie downer fan base who’s lives are predicated on the temporary failure of others. Winners look for opportunities, losers seek to bring winners down with them.

You don't know who you are talking to, do you?

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

just for kicks, you should google Bruce Castoria

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007

I laughed.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Cumbest is killing the ball right now. Clark not so much.

I can agree from a personal point of view. I'm 6'3" and I could not stand to be up close to the plate. As long as you can cover the plate with your bat and make sure you're striding into the ball and not hauling off when you swing you should be able to cover the plate without standing on top of it.

The only hitch in this is that Cumbest is batting over 300 and slugging the ball like crazy

Cumbest has been susceptible to breaking pitches away but seems to have learned how to recognize them much better and it is paying off. Clark leans in so far his head is over the plate and looks a bit lost at the dish right now.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003

Maybe the funniest post in this board's history.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Your Hall of Fame coaching from the couch can measure the inch of each batters stance game to game on tv, much less by tv while eating nachos? You are an idiot, along with the remainder of the Debbie downer fan base who’s lives are predicated on the temporary failure of others. Winners look for opportunities, losers seek to bring winners down with them.​

You really don't comment much. It would have served you well to go a little longer.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012

you must be like 12! maybe the stupidest post of the year. Dude Castoria-a living legend who hit more dingers and had more RBIs than any any Bulldog ever--has to be in top3 . Anything he post-somebody should pay attention.

Aug 22, 2012

Just commenting because this is the definition of sixpack remembers. I can't wait to hear you tell Swede he knows nothing about special teams.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Naw, man. Just NAW.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
For your next act, please find a post by JoeLee'sSocks and challenge him to a duel over timber market analysis.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
You can see as much and often more detail on TV than you can live.......

Plus you can rewind, play it back, or pause at a particular point if you want. Just saying. Coaches go back and look at the video to break down the game and get all of the details they can't get watching live action.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Say hello to the SEC PLAYER OF THE WEEK. I think Mule made you a fool

[tweet]1518638257415749632[/tweet]

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
you must be like 12! maybe the stupidest post of the year. Dude Castoria-a living legend who hit more dingers and had more RBIs than any any Bulldog ever--has to be in top3 . Anything he post-somebody should pay attention.

According to this writer, he's not even the best 1B ever at MSU.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...ssippi-state-baseballs-all-time-starting-nine

[h=3]First base: Will Clark (1983-85)[/h][FONT=&quot]Bruce Castoria was a beast at the plate, and if we named a DH to these lineups, he would get the nod. His 29 home runs in 1981 — four of which were grand slams — are tied with Palmeiro for the single-season best and his 98 RBI that same year are still the best in program history...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But then there is The Thrill.

He's basically just another random internet poster wannabe.**[/FONT]

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I'm thinking we leave Cumbest swing and stance alone. I'm not a baseball coach tho but I think he is doing fairly decent

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login