Clemson baseball's new head coach: Erik Bakich of Michigan...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Kendall Rogers got this possibility right. 8dog & Goat weren't sure about him. But of the three candidates Rogers had at the top of the list, Bakich was perhaps the most likely...

Rogers has Bakich, Jarrett and Godwin at the top of their hot board. If history is any indication you can now scratch all 3 of those.

Rogers has Bakich, Jarrett and Godwin at the top of their hot board. If history is any indication you can now scratch all 3 of those.

Yep. Pretty obvious he is clueless when it comes to coaching rumors. He just floats the obvious ones, and pumps the ones who have been helpful to him over his career.

From this thread: Link.

[FONT="]🚨BREAKING: @ClemsonBaseball is hiring @umichbaseball's Erik Bakich as its next head coach, sources told @d1baseball earlier on Tuesday. The move also was confirmed on the #Clemson side of things by @MattOnClemson. STORY: https://t.co/0SJrjEFy7W pic.twitter.com/5nZRHpDSEC— Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) June 15, 2022 [/FONT]

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Still true, though. He's no Finebaum when it comes to coaching rumors (who basically has the most powerful agent out there on speed dial). I don't trust Kendall Rogers on much of anything.

On another note - curious to see if Bakich continues to practice what he preaches in regards to taking rec ball players and making his roster "look like the United States" now that he's in Southern Travel Ball country. It's easy to tout that virtue signaling type deal when you have no choice at Michigan.

For the record, I like his mentality. I just hope he sticks with it i.e. truly believes, rather than just conveniently saying it for self-marketing at a time when it benefitted him.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Is his goal to always have only one black starter and two Hispanic white starters and the rest non-Hispanic white? Because black people make up 12%.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
In baseball, .300 is a success so I was twice as successful.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Tennessee wishes that a 33 percent success rate means that they go to Omaha. **

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Ha, I think his main goal was to say "hey look at me" during a fluke run to Omaha.

Yup. Didn't hurt him, but I thought that was a dumb response on his part. I would have gone the self-serving route and said there was a lot of raw talent that didn't come from the background of travel ball and it didn't make sense to ignore it. I.e., I'm smarter than the rest of the coaches and can actually identify and develop potential.

I look forward to a basketball coach from somewhere like Butler or Iowa saying they have four non-black starters because they think their roster should look like the united states. I suspect people would be a little quicker to recognize how stupid that statement is though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login