Clemson fan told me

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
he’s watched our defense every game and we are scary good. Top 10 in his opinion. Best sinnce Clowney/Gilmore/Swearinger times

I4CtheFuture

Oct 5, 2024
he’s watched our defense every game and we are scary good. Top 10 in his opinion. Best sinnce Clowney/Gilmore/Swearinger times
IMHO, we're better than that D of past. I don't recall ever seeing our CBs cover the side to side and "flat" route stuff better. It's usually a TFL when other teams try that now.

LonghornsGamecocks

Feb 24, 2024
One of my best friends is an LSU fan, also a big NFL guy, and a very astute football watcher. He's watched every snap of 3 of our last 4 games (LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama). His takes yesterday while we fired up the grill at my house between the end of the Red River Shootout and the LSU/Ole Miss game:
  • Overall talent level of the team is uncompromising. Not Top 5-8 talent level, but uncompromising to any teams but the very elite
  • Defense is excellent, well coached, deep, and aggressive
  • Offense, and these are pretty much exact quotes:
    • "Who the hell is calling your plays?"
    • "I've watched every snap of your last 3 games (he forgets Akron) and there's no identity, no rhythm - what are they doing?"
    • "Your offensive line is terrible. I don't believe they're not talented. Who is the OL coach? Why isn't the OC scheming and calling plays to neutralize weaknesses of the line?"
    • "Why isn't Rocket Sanders getting more touches"
    • "Why hasn't Beamer taken over playcalling? No way he could do worse than whoever your OC is."
    • (Looks up our OC on his phone) - "You guys hired DOWELL LOGGAINS? He was TERRIBLE in the NFL as on OC. What is Beamer thinking?" (Remember, my friend is a big NFL guy and knows the coaching trees quite well - this hit him like a ton of bricks).
    • "I think of you guys as always having really good kickers? This guy who's kicking for you this year quite honestly doesn't look good. I would have thought Beamerball would attract a really good kicker?"
    • "I think LaNorris Sellers can be a really, really good QB. He needs a coach who can call plays and an OL."
Edit: A separate close friend of mine, a big time Texas fan and booster, and also an astute football watcher, saw us this year for the first time yesterday watching the Bama game (he wasn't at my house), and said over message, "Sellers is really talented. He's a freshman? I'd double down on him as a coaching staff."

Anyways, some outsider, non-garnet glasses opinions from knowledgeable fans FWIW.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
One of my best friends is an LSU fan, also a big NFL guy, and a very astute football watcher. He's watched every snap of 3 of our last 4 games (LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama). His takes yesterday while we fired up the grill at my house between the end of the Red River Shootout and the LSU/Ole Miss game:
  • Overall talent level of the team is uncompromising. Not Top 5-8 talent level, but uncompromising to any teams but the very elite
  • Defense is excellent, well coached, deep, and aggressive
  • Offense, and these are pretty much exact quotes:
    • "Who the hell is calling your plays?"
    • "I've watched every snap of your last 3 games (he forgets Akron) and there's no identity, no rhythm - what are they doing?"
    • "Your offensive line is terrible. I don't believe they're not talented. Who is the OL coach? Why isn't the OC scheming and calling plays to neutralize weaknesses of the line?"
    • "Why isn't Rocket Sanders getting more touches"
    • "Why hasn't Beamer taken over playcalling? No way he could do worse than whoever your OC is."
    • (Looks up our OC on his phone) - "You guys hired DOWELL LOGGAINS? He was TERRIBLE in the NFL as on OC. What is Beamer thinking?" (Remember, my friend is a big NFL guy and knows the coaching trees quite well - this hit him like a ton of bricks).
    • "I think of you guys as always having really good kickers? This guy who's kicking for you this year quite honestly doesn't look good. I would have thought Beamerball would attract a really good kicker?"
    • "I think LaNorris Sellers can be a really, really good QB. He needs a coach who can call plays and an OL."
Edit: A separate close friend of mine, a big time Texas fan and booster, and also an astute football watcher, saw us this year for the first time yesterday watching the Bama game (he wasn't at my house), and said over message, "Sellers is really talented. He's a freshman? I'd double down on him as a coaching staff."

Anyways, some outsider, non-garnet glasses opinions from knowledgeable fans FWIW.
DC Clayton White interviewed for the Head Coach job at UNC-Charlotte a few years ago. He will probably land a Head Coach job after this season.

I4CtheFuture

Oct 5, 2024
Not sure I agree with you on that.
Well, to be fair, I'm just going off of memory and I'm putting a lot of stock in my observation of CB"s covering the swing passes, flat routes. I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I haven't looked at any stats. It's gotta be somewhat close at least. Fair?

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
Yesterday was a stellar performance for our defense. Much maligned Coach White deserves a lot of credit.
Problem gonna be keeping our 2 starting edge rushers. When announcers say, on National TV, SC's 2 edge guys are as good as any in the country & one is a true freshman, price tag goes up. Gonna be tough holding onto couple DB's as well. Whether its going pro or NIL.
Bama's tackles ain't gonna like reviewing film cuz they got whipped like rented mules.
Another D lineman not receiving much love is Tonka Hemmingway. Dude is a warriors warrior. If my eyes are correct, he absolutely abused Bama's guard & tackle. Not every play but, guarantee you those two are thanking their lucky stars they ain't gotta face him again.

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
Honestly, why do we put so much importance on what fans of other teams think? Are they always more knowledgeable?

Reactions: FlebusJones

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
Non biased opinions are good to hear.
That's fair. I'm not completely sure I would classify certain fans as non-biased. If it's a fan of a team we've already played, then they definitely want to paint the picture that we're better than what many believe. If it's a fan of someone we're going to play, then they also want the perception of our team to be positive in the event they win. No one wants to feel like they've played a gimme.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
That's fair. I'm not completely sure I would classify certain fans as non-biased. If it's a fan of a team we've already played, then they definitely want to paint the picture that we're better than what many believe. If it's a fan of someone we're going to play, then they also want the perception of our team to be positive in the event they win. No one wants to feel like they've played a gimme.
True about orange or garnet colored opinions but I appreciated the views of the LSU and Texas fans mentioned in the thread.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Hoganman1

Nov 28, 2022
It amazes me how many great arm chair coaches we have on this site. BTW My cousin’s brother-in-law coached a junior high team back in the 80s and he said ……………

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
As a Clemson fan he must really know what he's talking about. 🤨

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login